Mission: If you create value for your customers by applying your time and expertise to other people’s problems, thereby running a service-based business - FreshBooks is built specifically for you. We uphold a longstanding tradition of providing extraordinary customer service ...
The FreshBooks story begins back in January 2003, when Mike was running a four person design agency. When it came to billing clients, Word was frustrating to use and wasn’t built to create good looking invoices. Then one day something happened that makes every record-keeper cringe: he accidentally saved over an old invoice. Knowing there had to be a better way, he created it himself. Over the next two weeks he coded up a solution that became the foundation of what is now FreshBooks.
The road hasn’t been easy. It took over a year to bring the product to market. After 24 months, there were only 10 paying customers and revenues of $99 per month. The company moved into Mike’s parents’ basement and for the next 3.5 years, despite all the evidence pointing to failure, they carried on. Why? They discovered a passion for serving our customers, our company and working together.
Since these humble beginnings, over 5 million people have used FreshBooks to send, receive, print and pay invoices. Today FreshBooks has paying customers in over 120 countries. If we look at just North America alone, no one except QuickBooks Online has more online paying subscribers than FreshBooks, making FreshBooks the #1 cloud accounting solution designed for small business owners. We help everyone from the most fragile of businesses (many of them one person, first time owners) to the most vibrant businesses, collecting billions of dollars.
If you are a service-based business, FreshBooks is designed for you. If you are a lawyer, a marketing agency, a plumber, an interior decorator, an IT professional, a therapist, an architect, a web professional – if you create value for your customers by applying your time and expertise to other people’s problems, thereby running a service-based business - FreshBooks is built specifically for you. We uphold a longstanding tradition of providing extraordinary customer service and building a product that helps save you time, because we know you went into business to pursue your passion and serve your customers - not to learn accounting.
FreshBooks is the #1 cloud accounting solution designed for small business owners. Since 2004, over 5 million people have used FreshBooks for tracking time, organizing expenses and invoicing clients online and in the cloud. We’re a small team working towards a common goal: building a kick-ass online accounting application to help small businesses better manage their finances. Known for extraordinary customer service and based in Toronto, Canada, FreshBooks serves paying customers in over 120 countries.
We like to take care of our team here at FreshBooks. Here’s a sampling of what is available to our employees.
100% employer paid health benefits
Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Paid Parental Leave
Paid Volunteer/Charity Days
$200 yearly healthy living credit
Dog friendly, kid friendly, bike friendly
Generous vacation policy
Breakfast everyday and catered weekly lunch
Snacks and beverages
I have been working at FreshBooks full-time (Less than a year)
- All the perks: bike storage, showers, nap rooms, weight room, massage chairs, snacks...
- Company fosters a learning culture and an ample budget is set out for educational expenses such as conferences, courses, and books.
- The technology employed is very very diverse. If you're a jack of all trades, you'll be glad to know that you can sharpen your axe on a variety of different platforms, programming languages, CI tools, and so on. Nary a week goes by where I don't learn something new, tech-wise.
- The Junction Triangle and Junction neighbourhoods are up and coming and there's a handful of cheap but delicious eats within 10 minutes walking distance.
- Lots of social activities to partake in your colleagues such as Friday afternoon wine tasting, indoor soccer, and intense cardio Monday's
- You'll have to make an effort to get your team to go out for lunch; as the company has grown, the business goals have been prioritized and "fun" activities have somewhat taken the backseat. An example of this are the "graduations" which marked the one-year anniversaries of employees. You'd have to for example shuttle a ball along a maze using only a mass attached to two wires suspended from your hips while other employees cheered you on. At the end, you'd be presented with a nice certificate. Events like this happen with less frequency now.
Advice to Management
- Bring some fun back to weekly Short Hands meetings, they're kind of boring
- Invest in more opportunities to have people step away from the office for meetings, conferences, offsites, special events, etc.
I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at FreshBooks (Toronto, ON) in January-2017.
was contacted by email to set up a phone interview within 3 days of applying. Interviewer called on time, was polite, reviewed a bit about company and stressed the office culture, open-space environment. Some house-keeping type questions regarding location, ttc accessibility and ensured i knew there was no parking.