Weta Digital Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

Interviews at Weta Digital

2.4

Assistant Technical Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wellington, Wellington (New Zealand)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Weta Digital (Wellington, Wellington (New Zealand)) in January 2016.

Interview

Applied online, and recruiting emailed me asking if I was willing to relocate. I then had a skype interview with 2 people. Where my folio was reviewed, it then took 2 weeks to get approved.

Interview Questions

• Asked about folios and previous experience   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Weta Digital in October 2017.

Interview

I applied online and around three days later I got an email for first (screening) interview. The interview was with the management, all nice and friendly mostly talking about my work history.

The next round includes a technical interview with the lead team. There were questions about my work experience and projects, then proceeded to C++ and Python questions, some others about data structures and Threading. I didn't answer all of them to their satisfaction obviously, so I got just one day after this interview an email with the message that „my Skillset was not good enough…“. However, the team was nice enough to tell me a reason why they didn't take my application. At the end I had absolute positive experience with them even failed.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between a tuple and a list in Python?   1 Answer
    • Does Python support Multi-Threading?   1 Answer
    • What is the difference between a Heap and Stack in C++?   Answer Question

Technical Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Miramar (New Zealand)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Weta Digital (Miramar (New Zealand)) in January 2009.

Interview

The entire interview process was handled via email. The company vetted all my references prior to contacting me; Weta places a great deal of importance on your references and they will all be contacted and asked to answer a series of questions via email. Once the references were vetted, several more emails were exchanged and finally an offer was extended. There was opportunity for negotiation and good communication during the contract back-and-forth.

Interview Questions

• Weta did not ask any specific questions of me; all questions went to my references.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Yes, I was able to negotiate. You should always negotiate with a prospective employer since you're entering into a legal agreement that affects you both.

Animator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wellington, Wellington (New Zealand)

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Weta Digital (Wellington, Wellington (New Zealand)).

Interview

Laid back and friendly atmosphere. Questions are straight forward and relate to work. Interviews are usually with head of departments and production persons. You feel very comfortable thoroughly out process. Relax and it's all about your reel. It's more of a casual chat than an interview as if you've it to and interview it's men's they just want to see your personality.

Interview Questions

• Give us your background/ story   1 Answer

Animator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Weta Digital (Toronto, ON) in March 2015.

Interview

over the phone. asked me a bunch of questions. 2 people were talking very fast so it was hard. they were of course very nice and blah dee blah when will it be 50 words?

Interview Questions

• do you like mocap or animation better?   1 Answer

Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wellington, Wellington (New Zealand)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Weta Digital (Wellington, Wellington (New Zealand)) in August 2016.

Interview

Wouldn't work there and wouldn't recommend either

They did not have the basic courtesy to reply back whether they're taking my application further or not (no, it's not optional). Tells a lot about company culture

Interview Questions

• - Behavioural Questions (very cliche) : How would you deal with a difficult person? What are you're strong points ? What are your weaknesses ? What do people like about you? What do they don't like? blah blah and so on..

- A couple of decent technical questions thrown in between to make it look less like a drag   Answer Question

Runner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wellington, Wellington (New Zealand)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Weta Digital (Wellington, Wellington (New Zealand)) in March 2018.

Interview

The interview was informal. brief and I felt respected. The interviewers were professional and made me feel at ease. There weren't any out of the blue questions and everything was reasonably standard. We met in one of the offices and the whole process took about 20 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a runner at Weta?   1 Answer

Compositor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stuttgart (Germany)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Weta Digital (Stuttgart (Germany)) in May 2017.

Interview

My interviewer is truely a nice and gentle person.
    Though I am still waiting the confirmation of 2nd interview, the entire process of how they schedule and conducting the interview, I am deeply appreciated.

My 1st interview is about all my daily works, past experience. I have adequate time to show what I got, and they are willing to hear all about it.

Interview Questions

• Do you know something about New Zealand?   1 Answer

VFX Production Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wellington, Wellington (New Zealand)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Weta Digital (Wellington, Wellington (New Zealand)) in May 2015.

Interview

Was referred by a friend who had heard about an opening in a dept. I had a coffee meeting with the HOD in a cafe who asked me some basic questions. Had never worked in VFX before. Then I met with other members of the prod team for that dept, very casual. Then I was interviewed by the head of Production for the company. She asked more in depth questions about my abilities and experience in coordination and administration.

Interview Questions

• You will be helping to keep track of tasks and crew, have you done anything like that before?   Answer Question

Lighting TD Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Weta Digital in January 2009.

Interview

I had two interviews that were both very friendly and low key. My sense was that they hired me based on a gut feeling in addition to a solid portfolio.

Interview Questions

• It's been a while and I don't honestly remember any specific questions. I do recall that the questions were more about getting a sense of how I am to work with. I took a lot of time in the presentation of my portfolio as well as the content. I hand crafted a case that housed my demo reel and images. Perhaps this helped me to stand out against the other applicants.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They just asked me how much I wanted in compensation, I told them, and they accepted. It rather left me feeling like I should have asked for more.

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.