Square Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

Square Interview Questions

Interviews at Square

Business Development Manager Interview

Interview

After applying online via LinkedIn, I had the pleasure of connecting with Tia Battenberg for a 20 minute phone screen. Right away, we realized this was not the right role for me, so Tia spent the 20 minutes helping me understand my qualifications, what teams might be a good fit, and make a plan for finding that right job. While the outcome was not what I wanted, this was maybe the best phone interview process I've ever had.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral Interview Questions - Sent a list ahead of time   Answer Question

ECommerce Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Square.

Interview

Waste of time. First off, I had to take a speed test and send it to them. They didn’t get back to me for like 3 weeks about it. They wanted to schedule an interview and wanted times. They didn’t get back to me for 3 days after that. Had a Google Meet interview. Had a role play and that’s it. There wasn’t any additional questions about anything. It wasn’t even for e-commerce! The role online is different from what they described.

Interview Questions

• Role Play

Tell me about your past job experience and how it relates to the role.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Square.

Interview

Had an introductory call with a recruiter, who then set up a technical phone screen.

Worked on a problem with two engineers, finished both parts that were given, then had about 10 mins to talk about Square.

Got a rejection two days later

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

An incredible and thoughtful human centered interview process from start to finish. My recruiter and recruiting coordinator were fantastic. They were very empathetic, thoughtful, and communicative the entire time. I highly recommend applying at Square!

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Square.

Interview

The interview process was very smooth, super professional and efficient. Even though I didn't get the job, Joy Lakey Keating (Business Recruiter) was a pleasure to work with because she was very organized, professional and friendly. When it came time to share the bad news, she called me which made the experience very personal. Square is very lucky to have her.

Interview Questions

• The employees that interviewed me were interested in learning about my prior experience.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I have interviewed here twice, both times had a very similar and positive experience. They give you all the information you need to prepare, including the system design question.

They like to ask multi-part coding questions that build on top of one another. They are looking for code fluency, debugging, clean code, code that compiles and runs, rather than the most optimal solution.
    The questions aren't hard as long as you know your basic data structures and object-oriented design in your language of choice. Personally, I'm not very good at finding the most ~optimal~ solution right away but I'm pretty good at communicating so these questions were not difficult to me, since they are pair programming and the interviewer will help you out when needed. They don't care about the most optimal solution but you should still be able to tell them the runtime and memory complexity.

For the behavioral interview make sure you know how to talk about your past experience and projects well, and you will do fine.

My only complaint is that the recruiting turnaround time can take a while. The first time, they took three weeks from my onsite to tell me that they are extending an offer. By that time I had already signed another offer. This time I made sure to give them deadlines.

I think the technical bar at Square has gotten worse over the couple of years unfortunately, if you ever get the feeling that you're smarter than your interviewer

Interview Questions

• The interviewers write their own questions so it's not something you can study ahead of time Practice object oriented design questions. Nothing is harder than LC hard. It's usually LC Easy first part, LC Medium at most for the subsequent parts.   Answer Question

Business Development Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Square in August 2020.

Interview

Everything was very well organized and every single person was friendly. They are very open about the role and give a candidate a great overview of the company and responsibilities, which I found very useful. Jillian - the recruiting manager was amazing, very knowledgable, timely, and compassionate.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself and why do you want to work here   1 Answer

Head of Account Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Square (Saint Louis, MO (US)) in August 2020.

Interview

Found the posting on LinkedIn, and submitted an application. Within a couple of days, I was contacted by a recruiter from Square to set up a time to talk. She was great, asked good questions and offered some brief insights about the company. At the end of the call, she said she would be recommending me for next steps and that I’d get more information the following week. Unfortunately, the next contact I received was to let me know that I would not be moving on to the next phase.

Product Manager Interview

Interview

This was one of the worst interview experiences I have had. The recruiter was extremely unresponsive and I had to drive everything forward myself. I would hear back every 3rd email and they seemed annoyed that I was following up. Luckily I had multiple offers and didn't need to wait on them. This experience was jumbled and they couldn't decide what team I would be best for and couldn't provide any feedback or insights along the way either. Very disappointed in Square. I ended up taking an offer with a small start up who surprisingly seemed to have their act together better than this tenured post IPO company.

Interview Questions

• Tell me more about what you were doing at your last company   Answer Question

Finance Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Square (San Francisco, CA (US)) in July 2020.

Interview

Went through 4 steps including interviews and case study;

HR: General background/resume discussion
    Hiring Manager: Introduction to role, resume/background discussion, past finance modeling experience discussion
    Case study: Build a lemonade stand financial model from scratch, include assumptions, IS, BS, CF. This case study exercise is timed so you have to pick a 3 hour window within which you will deliver your final product to them.
    Case study discussion: Walk through the logic behind the model and answer technical questions related to the assumptions used in the financial model. The conversation then turns from the basic lemonade model to how you would carry out analysis related to different aspects of the finance function like marketing, customer value, pricing etc. Its not too technical just basic math.

**The reason I gave the experience a negative rating is because they didn't have the courtesy to let me know if I was moving forward in the process despite my follow up. I was completely ghosted after the fourth step. Given I spent 4+ hours on the above four rounds of interviews, I thought it was quite unprofessional to not only not inform me of the decision, but not even do it after my follow up email. So if you value your time just keep in mind that you're dealing with a HR team that might drop off randomly and leave you hanging.**

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.