Slaughter and May Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

Slaughter and May Interview Questions

Interviews at Slaughter and May

3.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Slaughter and May (London, England (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

Half-day interview:
    I applied online and received an invitation to interview within 2 weeks.
    (1) Case study test
    Taken to a room with a computer to review a a business case study and write up my summary and recommendations within 1 hour.

(2) Article review
    Given 20 minutes to read a business news article; was allowed to take notes to gather my thoughts.

(3) Partner interview
    I was asked to summarise the article and then give me thoughts on it, then we launched into a general discussion where they played devils advocate and challenged my position. We later moved to personal background questions to find out my motivations for applying to their firm and relevant experiences I have had. We also discussed subjects I read in university.

(4) Trainee tour: Informal tour around the office with a trainee

(5) HR-debrief

Training Contract Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Slaughter and May (London, England (UK)) in May 2016.

Interview

Very simple, upload cover letter with CV. Invited to interview the following month. Begins with a written exercise reviewing a business and advising on the best course of action, with only one hour in which to read the information and formulate the letter. Then presented with short article on CEO's pay which was later discussed in the interview with two partners. Interview also consisted of cv based questions and a recent case S&M had been involved with.

Vacation Scheme Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Slaughter and May (Oxford, England (UK)) in January 2016.

Interview

Reading a briefing before the interview and then answering questions based on the briefing and CV before two partners of the firm. In total, the process lasted approximately an hour.

Interview Questions

• What other firms did you apply to and why?   1 Answer

Training Contract Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Slaughter and May (London, England (UK)) in April 2015.

Interview

Started off with a 1-hour written exercise. Was then provided a current article to read for 15 minutes from the FT. The two partners who interviewed me were very friendly and approachable. Be careful not to let them catch you off guard with this. They will ask you a multitude of questions starting from your CV and cover letter (asking you why you chose x and y, what would you have done differently if you had a choice), then they will catch on to your answers and sentences and ask deeper questions as the interview goes along.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Slaughter and May (London, England (UK)) in March 2015.

Interview

After filling out an application form, should you be successful, you are invited to their offices for the next stage of the process. Everything is done individually (no other interviewees were there when I was).
    Starts off with a one hour exercise - you are given a pile of documents and you need to formulate and recommend a policy outcome from these documents. Pretty straight forward. You can choose to type or handwrite your answer.
    Following this, you are interviewed by two partners. Before you go into the interview room, you are given a newspaper article which you have around 20 minutes to read. Formulate and opinion and an argument about this article because it forms the second half of your interview.
    The interview starts off as expected, you talk about yourself and things you've done at University. They'll pick out a subject you studied at university and try debate you on it. They will play devils advocate with the intention of seeing how you cope under pressure. Be prepared to defend your point rigorously.
    They put me under a LOT of pressure for subject choices and opinions, so don't be put off if they seem quite rude etc.
    NOTE: If you're applying as a Non-Lawyer (like I was), be extremely prepared to answer 'why you want to work for us'. Do NOT come up with cliche answers to this question because they see right through it, and again, they will put pressure on you. You have to really sell why you want to work for them.
    Second half of the interview was regarding the newspaper article. They'll ask your opinion on it, whether you agree with it etc, then they'll start debating you on the points, again, in an attempt to play devils advocate in order to put you under pressure. The newspaper article can be on anything from politics to economics to law etc. Best thing to do is read up on news a LOT before you have your interviews.
    Come up with good questions to ask them at the end of the interview.
    The interview goes by quickly, after which you're given a tour around the offices by a trainee (i.e, someone in the position of the job you're going for). You can ask less formal questions to this individual because this stage is (apparently) not assessed.
    Finally, you'll have a short interview with a HR representative. I felt like I'd been slaughtered (forgive the pun) in the interview so I was quite shaken up at the HR interview, so sadly I can't offer much insight! Overall, however, I had a positive experience and I learnt a lot from the day.

NB: I've noticed other people writing that the partners can be quite friendly. Don't let this put your guard down!! I went in expecting two friendly people, instead I got two quite stern partners. Remember, friendly in London terms is not friendly in terms of other parts of the UK!! Go in prepared to get annihilated and you'll have a better shot.

Interview Questions

• WHY do you want to work for us? Why not other law firms? Why law in general?   Answer Question

Application

Interview

Cover letter + CV followed by a personality questionnaire. The most efficient and effective application process compared to all other law firms.

I applied at the end of the year and was invited for an interview at the end of February.

Interview Questions

• I don't think the firm has set interview questions. It operates like a conversation and they ask questions as they go along. They started off with asking me to talk through my CV.

As I was doing this they would stop and ask questions about my experience, why I was interested in corporate law.

There is also an article exercise which was the most challenging part of the interview and it is where I really messed up! I expected something from the Financial Times about the current QE programme/something very finance orientated. I was given an article from the Sunday Times and I realised for this exercise you don't necessarily need to have an in-depth knowledge of finance...just have a lot of common sense and be confident in articulating your opinion- be prepared to be challenged on your thinking!   Answer Question

Vacation Scheme Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Slaughter and May (Bristol, England (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied online, then was interviewed in a hotel meeting room near my university. The focus was more on general skills than legal knowledge but this may have been because I did not study law. I was also given a short written piece to read about 20 minutes before the interview.

Vacation Scheme Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Slaughter and May in January 2015.

Interview

I filled in an application form online and then after a few weeks was asked to an interview. The interview was with a partner and a senior associate. It covered my academic background, why I want to do law. We also had a discussion about an article I had been given to read beforehand.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to do corporate law and not, say, family law?   Answer Question

Trainee Solicitor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Slaughter and May (Hong Kong (Hong Kong)) in January 2015.

Interview

the interview process was not quite long which lasted for 30 minutes in which I was asked questions about my academic background and working experience and which areas of the law that I was interested at

Interview Questions

• which areas of the law that I was interested at   1 Answer

Slaughter and May Training Contract Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Slaughter and May (London, England (UK)) in December 2014.

Interview

Submit online application. Invited straight to interview. The interview application process was very well streamlined. Having previously attended an open day with the company, I knew this would be the case. The interview is all about them trying to find out if you are a) Academically talented and b) Suited to their culture.

Be prepared for long discussions regarding your academic and career choices.

Interview Questions

• How was the changing nature of finance altered Slaughter's work post 2007/08 crisis?   Answer Question