PA Consulting Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

PA Consulting Group Interview Questions

Updated 24 Aug, 2017

3.1

Managing Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at PA Consulting Group (Los Angeles, CA (US)) in November-2016.

Interview

1. Very unorganized
    2. First interviewed on campus
    3. Then the recruiter did not send me any final round interview logistics until I actually followed up with her
    4. Interviewers from UK were unfriendly

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at PA Consulting Group (Boston, MA (US)) in October-2016.

Interview

They want to come to big schools, like MIT for recruitment, and then show the highest unprofessional attitude. Started with a behavioural round, and after that took 4 weeks to take the 2nd round (onsite), after that 1 week to give results, which were positive! Then they asked for another round, and on the day of that final round (call with Partner), they called and put the process on hold, saying THEY NEED TO RE-EVALUATE HIRING REQUIREMENTS! And it took them another 2 weeks to review requirements, at the end of which they called off the procedure saying they have better candidates!
    One thing I fail to understand is that consulting companies can fail so badly in creating their own strategy, that too hiring strategy, which is nothing new, and that they fail so badly in understanding that we do not have all the free time on earth, and its our future they decide to play with. All-in-all, this was a wastage of about 2 months, which are very very crucial when you desperately need a job!
    Thoroughly disappointed by this company's attitude and conduct!

Management Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at PA Consulting Group (Los Angeles, CA (US)) in October-2016.

Interview

(Still pending second round interview)
    First round interview was on-campus. I was asked typical behavioral questions, but strangely none of the "Tell me about a time when you..." questions came up. Instead, my interviewer asked me "Why PA Consulting," asked me to give a resume walk-through, and told me about various projects PA Consulting had worked on (I think she wanted to gauge my views on the decisions the company had made). It was a pleasant surprise to learn that I had a second-round interview before the first round ended.

Interview Questions

• Why PA Consulting?, Resume walk-through, Was told of various projects the company had worked on and asked for my thoughts on decisions made   Answer Question

Healthcare Analyst (Entry Level) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at PA Consulting Group (New York, NY (US)) in October-2016.

Interview

I applied through my college's job application portal. It was a resume submission, and I heard back from them. First step was a behavioral phone interview. It was pleasant, more like a conversation. Second step was a "super day" (but not really a super day) at the NYC office. Here I did a group case, as well as two behavioral interviews with consultants. We then were served lunch and got to talk to many of the other employees. I received a call later to gather some more information about me, and I was told my application was as a top candidate. Two days later, I was told I did not get the job, which is confusing, and I did not appreciate. It gets the hopes up just to be let down again.

Interview Questions

• Group case was the pyramid game. (can be found on google)   1 Answer
    • Other questions were just about how I could deal with certain situations that might come up in a consulting positions, such as how I could deal with conflicts between client and my group, etc.   1 Answer

Consulting Analyst Interview

Interview

The process was very structured and professional. Most of the interactions were handled through senior and junior HR personnel. They often went back and sought responses to many of the project related questions. I only met with the consultants during in person interviews. The process is quite standard for the more general management consulting firms

Interview Questions

• Why I wanted to work for their firm?
      How I learned about them?
      What was my awareness of the firm from the public sphere?   Answer Question

Principal Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at PA Consulting Group.

Interview

4 interviews, 2 with partners and 2 with Managing Consultants focused on prior work and career desires. After the interviews, I was told that I was "not a fit" because "PA doesn't do the kind of work that I said I wanted to do." Well, I'm pretty confused about what type of work they actually do because all four interviewers claimed that they had worked on or were working the types of projects that I had direct experience in and was interested in.

Interview Questions

• Purely experiential interviews. The first two interviewers asked my opinion of tech trends in a particular industry and that led to some pretty interesting conversations.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at PA Consulting Group.

Interview

Very lengthy process which began in July and wasn't completed until November. Overall structure of the process and the communication through the process was poor. It was the worst hiring process I ever experienced with any large consulting firm. HR appeared to be out of touch with the market and gave ridiculous advice on level to hire. Only after threatening the headhunter to walk away was an offer received. It was my second choice.

Interview Questions

• No really challenging questions -- very much focused on cultural fit   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at PA Consulting Group (Boston, MA (US)) in November-2015.

Interview

The interview process began with lunch with a group of consultants and the other two interviewees. It was a little awkward and I tried making jokes to lighten the mood a bit but the crew was pretty serious. Next was a group case interview. It was the same pyramid case that people have described earlier. This is not a traditional case interview. The key to this stage is to be coherent in the math and to work well with the other people interviewing. Don't seem nervous. I didn't practice this stage and really had some trouble with some simple math which was probably part of my downfall. I don't think they really have a correct answer in mind so it really doesn't matter what you say as long as you're clear and don't hog the stage. Also remember to factor in the cost of your own consulting fees as part of the budget. One of the interviewers mentioned this at the end in sort of a 'gotcha' way so I'm sure they'd be impressed if you mentioned it in your conclusion. The next stage was a behavioral interview. First they brought in some guy from Denver who asked me a few basic questions for about 20 minutes. Then they brought in another guy sat down 20 minutes in while the first guy was still present and he asked me pretty much the same questions as the first guy which was awkward since I had prepared for this and I had a little response for each question that I didn't want to repeat verbatim with the other guy sitting there. Didn't really click with either guy at all and they both seemed uninterested by the end and I could tell this interview was pretty much over. However, there was still one more guy who came in and interviewed me. I thought this was going to be a 'technical' interview but it was really just another behavioral interview. I'm not sure if this was because they had already decided not to hire me or something but the last guy ended up being great and we pretty much just had a conversation about energy markets and economics for about 40 minutes. I was a little upset that guy didn't go first so I could have had the extra confidence boost. About a week later they emailed me saying I didn't get the position which didn't come as much of a surprise. Long story short - Practice doing some word math problems in front of people for a couple days and hope that you click with your interviewers as I think they're pretty heavy on cultural fit and you should be fine!

Consultant Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at PA Consulting Group in October-2015.

Interview

I talked to people at the career fair who told me to apply online. Applied online and got an email a few days later saying that I was selected for the first round interviews. Interviewed, which went well. Received an email a few days later saying that I was not selected for the second round. The following week, received a phone call saying there had been a mixup and that I had actually been selected for the second round. Interviewed for the second round - the people were really friendly (again the usual behavioral, individual case, and group case, with lunch). A week after the second interview, received a phone call saying that they wanted to make me an offer and we discussed start date, office location, etc; that it would take a week to put the written offer together. A few days later received another phone call saying that they were not yet making an offer and wanted me to talk to a couple of partners and needed to set up a phone interview with them. Time went and the phone interview was never setup. Another week later I received another phone call saying that instead of talking to a couple of partners, they wanted me to come in and do another case interview. At that point, I thought it was ridiculous that they wanted me to come in again for another case study that I curtly declined the interview. Totally unprofessional and it really felt like I was being jerked around the entire time while they must have had someone else in mind. Completely unacceptable.

Interview Questions

• Te usual behavior stuff along with a case related to the sector you selected.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at PA Consulting Group (Boston, MA (US)) in October-2015.

Interview

Had an on-campus fit interview, followed by a short verbal and math "skills" test (which was a bit weird), and then was flown up to Boston for three rounds of interviews (individual fit, individual case, group case). It was an interesting experience and overall very positive -- great people, and they made sure you were at ease. Then, after the interview they really dropped the ball. They strung me along for two months as a "top candidate" and then dropped a rejection via email. When I called to see what happened, no feedback. Very rude and poor communication. Wish I could downgrade my review but I wrote it before all this happened.