Okta Staff Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

Okta Staff Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Okta

Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Okta (Bellevue, WA (US)) in October 2020.

Interview

Applied online and get response from recruiter very quickly.

First round is a tech phone screen, question is Leetcode easy/medium level and the interviewer is very nice. Managed to solve the problem 20min before the scheduled end time. Got the virtual onsite Interview request on the next day.

Virtual onsite consists of 3 tech interviews with senior/staff level engineers, hiring manager and the director. All of them were very nice and helpful, the questions are also not hard and I had enough time asking the questions about the team and the projects.

Got an offer a few days later. Declined because accepted another position better fit my background and career interest.

Thank you Okta for giving me a wonderful experience.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Okta

Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Okta (Los Angeles, CA (US)) in September 2020.

Interview

Yup, yet another negative review for Okta. Process was quite unprofessional.

I applied online. The recruiter contacted me in a few days and set up an intro call for that Friday morning which went well. He said he would schedule me for a coding round.

I wasn't contacted until Tuesday morning and was given the option of that Wed or that Friday. I said I was available for both. Didn't get a response or confirmation until late Wed for that Friday.

Why would you offer me Wed on a Tuesday morning if you can't make that happen?

Anyways, **Thursday night at 9PM** I get an email saying the interview was rescheduled because the interviewer decided to take PTO instead. Uh... *I* took PTO for the interview too. The recruiter asked me if I can do it Monday instead. I said OK. Radio silence for the rest of Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun and most of Monday.

Again, Why are you asking me for availability on days you can't make happen?

Finally had the coding round that week. Get an email from the recruiter the following Monday saying I did great and they want to move me to the final round. Of course the recruiter will be out Tues through Thurs so, you guessed it... no interview that week.

Finally had the final interview:

1) Director - was about 10-15 minutes late -- didn't seem like he even wanted to be there. Not friendly at all.
    2) Software Eng - very friendly, coding round
    3) Another Software Eng - average friendlyness
    4) Hiring Mgr - guy actually had a bird squawking in the background the whole interview
    5) Architect - another coding round

After that? Ghosted. That's fine if they aren't interested, but its very unprofessional not to send a close out email.

Also while I was still in process, I sent the recruiter an email that went unanswered. Sent the coordinator an email that went unanswered too. This was DURING the process with a question about my upcoming interviews.

The recruiter also claimed Okta was on a major hiring spree, but when I asked the hiring mgr about it, he had a different story.

Very odd experience.

Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Okta (Chicago, IL (US)) in September 2020.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter from LinkedIn, asked to apply. I had a phone interview with someone different than whom I was contacted by. The person I contacted by was not prepared for the interview. They didn't read my resume before the call, and they didn't ask me what my interests were. I applied for one role, pushed to interview for another. I pushed to interview for a manager's role, then asked no questions about managing teams or resources. I had to implement a b-tree on the fly, which was fine. The dev interviewer wasn't prepared, either. Just a strange experience.

Interview Questions

• Can you implement an insert into a b-tree?   1 Answer

Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Okta (New York, NY (US)) in March 2020.

Interview

The interview process was good and pretty trivial. One recruiter call followed by a phone interview and then onsite. The shame is all went well and then recruiter showed interest too but it was very hard to communicate with recruiter afterwards. After lots of follow-ups, I was told that the position is being revaluated. The worst thing was I had to let go of another offer because I was really looking forward to work for Okta. They still haven't got back to me after 2 months. I can understand the COVID-19 situation but no communication / update is no excuse.

The interviewers were nice and engaging but worst recruitment process.

Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Okta (San Jose, CA (US)) in September 2018.

Interview

I applied online and got called by a recruiter. Recruiter took my profile back to the hiring manager who agreed to set up a phone screen for me. Phone screen was an hour long. 2 questions asked. Both simple. I answered both satisfactory. Next day, the recruiter emails me saying although I did well, they decided not to continue because of profile mismatch. Offered to explain more, but I've emailed him twice and heard nothing. Poor recruiting experience imo.

Interview Questions

• Find max number in an array. Write a test function that will take the input and expected output. Write test cases for it. 2nd: Find the 2nd max in an array.   1 Answer

Staff Software Engineer Interview

Interview

A recruiter from okta reached out to me on LinkedIn.

As usual he asked me few times available to chat.
    I suggested him few times that week and guess what he set a call for next week. I was pretty OK.

1 Hour before the call, I get an email saying he is overbooked, and scheduled my interview next week without asking for my availability. I understand it happens so I suggested great sounds good talk to you next week.

Guess what on next appointment, 30 mins before my call he said he is rescheduling interview again.

I was interested in learning more about okta but cannot work for company which is not professional or respectful to candidates.

Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Okta (San Francisco, CA (US)) in January 2016.

Interview

In short, extensive and impressive!!! Starting with a seasoned, supportive and punctual recruiter phone call, then a company introductory meeting with an awesome VP of Engineering who will leave you just dreaming of joining his team. Screening phone interviews, a full day of interviews with great friendly Okta staff and finally followup interviews to best position the candidate in the right team. Things that touched me like accommodating a personal condition that postponed my interviews for a couple of months. Top smart engineers, who are down to earth and very friendly. The moment you step in, you can feel the positive energy everywhere, and staff who have passion for everything they do. The recruiter gave me the best interviewing experience I ever had in my over 18 years of professional experience. He's very friendly, helpful, kept me up to date with the process and did everything possible to make me comfortable during the process. I am very sad I couldn't go for their offer due to some personal reasons at my end.

Interview Questions

• NDA! I am sorry!!! The good thing they are going to tell you ahead what to expect during the interviews. No surprises! They just need to gauge your skills level, not to trick you.   Answer Question

Personal reason, nothing to do with Okta at all. I believe they are a great team to join.

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.