Newton Europe Operational Improvement Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

Newton Europe Operational Improvement Consultant Interview Questions

Updated 3 Nov, 2017

3.7

27 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Operational Improvement Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Newton Europe (Boston, MA (US)).

Interview

Interview at career fair. Then Skype interview with HR, then online test, then phone with director, then Skype again with 2 consultant, then on site case study. The case study was surprisi. You might think you need to present results but no, you have to simply ask questions and go with the flow don't impose anything. Don't act as know it all.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with difficult situations? Tell me about how you go about solving a problem. What are key values?   Answer Question

20 Jan, 2017 – Candidate Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on Glassdoor, we are always keen to hear an applicant’s experience so we can continue to improve our processes. I am glad to hear that your overall... More

Other Interview Reviews for Newton Europe

Operational Improvement Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Newton Europe.

Interview

Easy to fill out application form followed by numerical and data tests. Then a three question video interview on the online portal. Also would recommend going to Newton Careers event as these are very well run.

Operational Improvement Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Newton Europe (London, England (UK)) in November-2016.

Interview

Beware of this company.

I interviewed with Newton Europe in October. There were about 20 people at the assessment day which was broken down as follows:
    1. Speaking to a partner for 10 minutes before presenting them to the group
    2. A group exercise where each participant was given different information about a problem. We were invited to discuss the problem, sharing information, before coming up with a solution which we presented to Newton consultant
    3. Confirmation versions of online tests

Lunch: not everybody was invited to stay after lunch.
    1. 1 on 1 reflection with a psychologist about how the morning session went
    2. Tablet methodology teach: I was taught about a Newton methodology on a tablet and then had to implement it in a written test
    3. Case study: I was given a case study with a few questions at the end which I had to present to a Newton consultant. There were some extension questions that were not given with the case study
    4. Personality based questionnaire

Final interview:
    1. Dinner the night before with a couple of junior consultants
    2. Final interview, broadly based on my CV, me as a person and whether I would fit in at Newton

I was offered a job with Newton on the spot at the end of the final interview in November, so it seemed to me that they were very keen. I was asked to accept the offer online after the interview and sign a contract of employment which bound me to work for them. I was also asked in good faith to stop pursuing other graduate schemes. I did this as well as not accepting a long term contract with my current employer as I was told by Newton that I would be starting in May.

In January, less that 4 months before I was due to start, I received a call from Newton saying that they had decided to rescind my job offer even though I had a fully countersigned non-conditional contract of employment. I explained to them that I had not accepted a long term job offer with my previous employer and that I had, in good faith, not attended any further assessment days with other employers. I explained to them how I have now been left without a graduate job, with similar applications not opening until around September for jobs starting in 18 months. This was not enough to move them to reconsider.

As I’m sure you know, Newton like to present themselves as different to other consultancies. In all my interactions with them they allowed me to believe that they were tight-knit and looked after their employees in a way that other companies do not. This was in no small part why I accepted their offer. Unfortunately, this experience has proved to me that they say one thing and act in a very different way.

I have not heard of any stories of other companies acting with quite this degree of bad faith.

Interview Questions

• What would someone you worked with say was your worst trait?   1 Answer

9 Feb, 2017 – Recruitment Administrator

We are very sorry about your experience. We do take great pride in fostering the right level of care and consideration when offering people the chance to work with us. In this instance, after careful... More

Operational Improvement Consultant Interview

Interview

I applied for this position via Tragetjobs and then I was asked to take some online assessment tests. A few days later I was invited to an online interview, that consisted of three questions. If somebody doesn't have prior experience, practice is recommended since the video interview is a weird process. Now waiting for the rest of the process.

Interview Questions

• Tell us something you achieved for which you are proud.   Answer Question

Operational Improvement Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Newton Europe.

Interview

Video Interview that you need to answer three questions. You are given the option to practice as many times as you want before you start the real recording. There is a video explaining the culture and environment in Newton, so make sure you pay attention. In general, try to be yourself, this is what they value most.

Interview Questions

• If I worked for sometime with you, tell me something good and something bad that I would learn about you?

What is your biggest achievement?   Answer Question

5 Sep, 2016 – Candidate Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on Glassdoor.

Operational Improvement Consultant Interview

Interview

There was a fairly simple online application, paired with one of the hardest online numerical tests I've experienced. Not much that I can say other than to be prepared for an actually challenging test, largely focused on operational mathematics.

After this, I was invited to complete a short (5 minutes) digital interview, which had several questions you may find on glassdoor (but don't expect the exact same 3 your friend got...).

I made it to the assessment center. This was a 2-parter where 5 of the 7 applicants in my group (including me) were sent home after lunch. The second half involved a couple of tests and an interview. After this, a final interview with a partner occurred at a hotel over a couple of days.

The first part of the center involved several activities. Two exams on operational matters were given, prior to which we were taught a couple of methodologies to apply. There was also a group activity, a presentation (3 minutes, we were told the topic days before the center), and a short interview.

Interview Questions

• Some exam-style questions involving how to make a water tank more efficient. Don't second-guess yourself; I apparently passed this aspect despite several of my answers feeling way too simple.   Answer Question

13 Jun, 2016 – Recruitment Administrator

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on Glassdoor

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Newton Europe (London, England (UK)) in June-2016.

Interview

If you are non-British or don't have excellent English, just don't bother going there or applying to this company. Even employees admit that there is no diversity. So even if you prepare well for the day, give good answers in the interview, do math tests perfectly, suggest clever solutions in the group task, they won't hire you. But some British guys who just talk, doesn't matter what they say.

Stage 2) Assessment Centre (Morning)- There were 3 assessors, one from HR, the other 2 were consultants with 1-3 years of experience. Day starts with a presentation from the Newton Consultants about the work they do, company culture, and reasons why you should/ shouldn't want to join them. Next is your 3 minute presentations.

Case study -you're taught one of Newton's standard models and then conduct an individual exercise. Next the maths and data test. After this some went for 15min interviews - these are brief. the other part did the team task (e.g. making constructions out of paper)

After this is lunch whilst they decide. 3 out of 8 passed to the next stage.

Interview Questions

• easy questions, why consulting, why Newton, leadership experience etc.   Answer Question

Operational Improvement Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Newton Europe (London, England (UK)) in May-2016.

Interview

Stage 1) Online Application - maths and data tests and a video interview with three basic questions. Several others have detailed the various questions, but do some basic research of the company and follow conventional advice for video interviews.

Stage 2) Assessment Centre (Morning)- Day starts with a presentation from one of the Newton Consultants about the work they do, company culture, and reasons why you should/ shouldn't want to join them. Next is your 3 minute presentations. I would say definitely plan ahead, have a structure and think about a summary at the end, but don't go too robotic. Those who clearly did better injected a bit of natural humour and were more relaxed. Topic wise- pick something you want to talk about- not too 'businessesy' or ‘life-coachy’, i.e. topics ranged from volunteer projects, worse day at work and hobbies.

Case study -you're taught one of Newton's standard models and then conduct an individual exercise. Make sure you've understood it (plenty of room for questions). I thought I understood it during the lesson, but struggled, and didn't meet the required standard for this task. Will come more naturally to STEM grads, but either way the main point is max effort. Next the maths and data test, exactly the same kind you did online. Lots of people fail, often because they either used a calculator when asked not to online and can't replicate their performance, or because they didn't do it themselves/ one their own. After this is 15min interviews- these are brief, really relaxed, and I enjoyed it as it felt quite two-way. Next the team task (e.g. making constructions out of paper) - get involved, encourage each other, and don’t be afraid to inject humour into it.

After this is lunch whilst they decide. 4 of 8 got through to the afternoon (which is apparently quite high), and another AC taking place that day had nobody get through. Best advice is to keep going throughout the morning and don't get too hung up about any one activity.

Stage 2.5) Assessment Centre (Afternoon)- this involves a technical test and another case study. The test is supposedly similar to ALevel Physics, and we were told that it is mostly for gauging ability, and was more relevant to those with the Eng backgrounds (not me). Next is a teaching session for another model- ask lots of questions and make sure you understand it. You then get a scenario with questions, and time to make your numbers add up, then a role play meeting with 2 clients. Mine went pretty terrible, I had made a basic maths mistake early on in my calculations, and subsequently all the following questions using that information weren't correct. The two clients aren't too difficult, but they will challenge you on how you got your figures regardless if you're right or not. Remain confident, they're looking at how you act under pressure, and consider the dynamics and what their personal objectives are. When you finish you get a chance to debrief- be honest! I identified what bits I missed out, or would have liked to have done. Use this as an opportunity to have some self awareness and identify where you need to develop. They will have spotted it anyway by that point.

I walked away pretty certain I hadn't got through, as my calculations in that afternoon role play were poor, but I got a phone call the following morning inviting me to the next stage. I had already taken the time of work for the AC, so I booked my next stage in for the following working day.

Stage 3) Final Interview- the first part is the evening dinner. Newton put three of us up in a central London hotel for the night before our final interview, and you have dinner in that evening with the other candidates (3 of us), and some Newton Consultants. The meal is incredibly relaxed. Don't feel you have to talk about the company the whole time, or practice your career laugh, this step is another chance for you to see whether you like the company culture and your potential colleagues, and if they think you'd fit in, because you will be eating together as a team a lot as part of your job. The next morning begins with a longer interview (45mins-1hr). This is mostly based around your CV (which they will request beforehand) and various competency/ motivation based answers. If you haven't had one of these before, think about your achievements and use a STAR approach. Also convey your genuine reasons why you want the job and why they should want you, and don't be afraid to admit what you think you're most likely to find difficult or where you've failed in the past. After this is another role play, this time it is much more about how you handle the social side of managing stakeholders over the numbers side. Think about who am I talking to, what motivates them, how can I convince them that change is in their best interest, and most of all treat it as a two way interview (you'll get lots of info from them that you aren't provided). I got a call with an offer the next day.

Interview Questions

• What would you like to ask a Newton Director and why?

Give us an example of where you've shown drive and determination before.   Answer Question

23 May, 2016 – Recruitment Administrator

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on Glassdoor, we are always keen to hear about candidate experiences and ways that we can improve our recruitment process. I am glad that your... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Newton Europe (London, England (UK)) in May-2016.

Interview

I applied online, they ask examples about non-academical achievements and drive. I then completed the data interpretation and numerical test, this was very easy, average in a way. Also successfully completed the video interview, three questions, if i'm correct one of them was "if you had the opportunity, what question would you ask the CEO". I selected the assessment centre in London and was not invited for the afternoon.

Assessment centre:
    1. 3 min presentation
    2. Casestudy
    3. Validation of numerical and data interpretation tests
    5. Team building
    6. Interview

It was a good experience, the only advise I would give is to make the online tests and video interview a tad more difficult so you can short-list people better, this is for Newton and the interviewee. During the assessment I figured there was a very low emphasis on interpersonal skills and competences. The case-study was weighing very heavy in the assessment. I believe the preliminary phases were a tad out of balance in the sense of what you required from us to qualify and what you in the end assessed us on. The assessment day overall comprised one quick interview of 20 min. average. Out of the 18 people only 2 got invited for the afternoon.

I learnt a lot and believe this to be one of the most intense interviews I have had. I will definitely apply again for next year.

Interview Questions

• Q: Can you speak of a time you exhibited leadership skills
      Q: If you had the opportunity what would you ask   Answer Question

1 Jun, 2016 – Recruitment Administrator

Application

Interview

The whole process took around 3 months between the online application to the final interview.

The process goes as follow:
           1- CV and Cover Letter online
           2- Numerical and Data Interpretation test online: very similar as the ones in other consulting firms, the challenge is to keep up with the pace and not to dwell into questions.
           3- Phone interview: classic HR first contact, CV review and motivations to work for the company
           4- Selection day: intense but really enjoyable. The agenda of the day is very well described in other Glassdoor comments.
           5- Final interview diner: a great opportunity to meet with a couple of consultants in a very informal manner. This part is not assessed and is just a enjoyable moment to get to know better the people and the company culture.
           6- Final Interview: is actually one HR interview and one case study. Assessors are usually board members so it is a great opportunity to meet them and to address them questions directly. The interviews are far more challenging than the ones in selection day, get ready to fight a boxing game !

The overall process is quite long and tedious but the the HR follow up is really good so you never get lost into it and you always have a very clear vision on what is next and how best you can prepare for it.

I did not receive an offer because I was not at 100% on the final round and did not manage to engage enough energy and motivation to succeed in the two interviews. Nevertheless the company looked very attractive, the people look amazing so I would strongly recommend to anyone interested in operation improvement to apply !

Interview Questions

• Motivations to work for Newton ?
      Can you go through your CV and explain all the decisions you have taken so far ?
      Biggest challenge overcame ? Personally and Professionally ?
      Biggest failure ? How would you do things differently to succeed ?
      Strengths and area of improvement ?
      What challenges do you foresee in a consultant position at Newton ?   Answer Question

13 Jun, 2016 – Recruitment Administrator

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on Glassdoor, we are always keen to hear about candidate experiences. Although unsuccessful this time we welcome you to reapply in twelve months.