Netflix Data Scientist Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

Netflix Data Scientist Interview Questions

Updated 26 Apr, 2018

8 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Netflix in August-2017.

Interview

The onsite interview was 5.5 hours long. I met with 7 people. There was lots of product oriented questions. It was an exhausting day. You can expect coding questions, product-sense questions, A/B testing, experimental design and metric design. Read the culture deck! Read the culture deck! Read the culture deck! Culture is everything at Netflix!

Interview Questions

• Given a month's worth of login data from Netflix such as account_id, device_id, and metadata concerning payments, how would you detect fraud? (identity theft, payment fraud, etc.)   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Netflix

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Netflix in March-2017.

Interview

Manager direct contact. Scheduling failed to contact me. Followed up with initial contact. Scheduling set appointment, then rescheduled. Technical meeting was prototypical example of bad interviewing - looking for specific answers to domain specific questions without giving sufficent context. Looking for answers that match existing biases in the org. I didn't fit the mold, so although I was told I'd be contacted for more details, that never happened - and I don't mind.

Interview Questions

• Given a single day with a large sample size and a significant test result, would you end the experiment?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA (US)).

Interview

Contacted on linkedin by netflix recruiter, went through phone interviews and then onsite. it included phone interviews and 2 onsites. I do not recommend others to interview with this company if you have other options.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA (US)) in July-2012.

Interview

HR phone screen, then an interview with a hiring manager

Interview Questions

• How do you know if one algorithm is better than other?   2 Answers

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Campbell, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Netflix (Campbell, CA (US)) in August-2012.

Interview

Contacted by HR recruiter through LinkedIn, they came back only after a month for phone screening. This was followed by phone screening by hiring mgr, it was very quick <15 mins, I was told that I will get in-person interview soon.

In-person scheduling happened very quickly too. I interviewed 4 ppl, 45 mins each. HR person was very nice, approachable and easy to converse with. The following 2 ppl from peer teams also were quite nice; I was asked SQL questions and analysis approach which I expected to be asked.

The last 45 mins was with hiring mgr who seemed a bit uptight. He/she asked a very in-depth SQL question to solve a problem he/she had recently worked on. It was interesting to me that he/she would ask something which definitely didn't fit into the 45 min window that we had. He/she herself vaguely acknowledged it was a hard question. After 10 mins of try, it was followed by another in-depth SQL question.

It looked like they needed super analyst who could crack all kinds of in-depth data problems in span of minutes. I couldn't imagine working with somebody who had unrealistic expectations like this. I was happy when I got a call from there HR that they didn't pursue it. HR team though is super nice and persuasive and do a good job in profile matching. Just that Netflix's expectations are way out there and a geeky few will fit into that category.

Interview Questions

• In-depth SQL questions, that can't be solved in the given time frame with lack of tools.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA (US)).

Interview

They move quite fast. One phone interview with the recruiter, and another detailed one with the hiring manager. Two onsite interviews with around 4 people first time (data scientists/engineers) and 3 people (higher level execs) second time. A mix of product, business, analytical and stats questions. Stats questions mostly revolved around A/B testing: hypothesis testing, etc. A couple easy-medium SQL questions. Analytical question included a hypothetical problem to analyze, metrics to evaluate product performance, etc. Higher level executives mostly focused on background and past experience.

Interview Questions

• Toughest question was not technically tough, but helping a non-technical exec understand some technical concepts.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA (US)) in March-2018.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me after doing an onsite presentation. first step was a phone call with hiring manager which was mostly about my resume and background and then a phone screening after that. Phone screening was 45 minutes focused on experimentation.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Netflix in December-2011.

Interview

I really thought the interview went well. Or so I thought. The director was impressed so was the manager and recruiter. Netflix is expanding into other markets and they like the experiences I have.

The position is with the analytics dept, which is more horizontal than vertical. Would have loved to work in a dept like that.

I have a lot of experiences with rec eng/sys and I seriously thought that I had a chance. Come to think of it, I feel that they are prying for what I do in my current company, ie methods, algorithms etc.

Ideas are dime and a dozen. Good thing is I have more in the bag.

Interview Questions

• Elaborate on the rec eng you developed for your company.   Answer Question
    • Why do you use XYZ method? And elaborate on how to improve content optimization?   Answer Question
Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.