Find jobs for Data Scientist

Netflix Data Scientist Interview Questions

Updated Jan 28, 2021

To filter interviews, or .

Interviews at Netflix

3.1
HardAverageEasy
Found 11 candidate interviews
Netflix
Application

I applied through an employee referral I interviewed at Netflix

Interview

Started with a few casual phone screens to intro the teams and get an idea of overall experience. Moved on to the technical screen which was very uncomfortable. My interviewee was very aggressive, at times bordering on angry at answers that were given. At one point he actually yelled into the phone "What you're doing is NOT what I asked". I prompted him to be clearer with his question and he sat silent and simply didn't answer me. At one point I actually considered stopping the interview, asking him to calm down and requesting to be interviewed by someone who wasn't as angry. Incredibly unprofessional and not expected. Never dealt with this specific issue in 11 years as a DS. There was a moment or two on the call that I was so speechless by the behavior that I actually didn't know how to proceed with continuing.

Interview Questions
  • The questions were average and meant to test knowledge of stats and SQL. Questions included: - A/B testing and variance understanding - P value descriptions -ANOVA The SQL was quite easy. One of two simple joins, nothing at all complicated.
    1 Answer
Netflix
Application

I interviewed at Netflix

Interview

HR reached out and had two phone screen. the first one asked about culture and behavioral type of problem and the second round focus on management experience. it seems like they really focus on their culture.

Interview Questions
  • how did you give feedback, give me an example
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA
Application

I applied through an employee referral The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA) in Jul 2018

Interview

Had a call with the hiring manager, and then connected with a recruiter. They set up a technical phone screen, which I barely passed. Then I had a full onsite where I met with 6 or so people 1:1.

Interview Questions
  • How would you design an experiment for a new feature we're thinking about. What metrics would matter?
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA
Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA) in Mar 2018

Interview

A recruiter contacted me after doing an onsite presentation. first step was a phone call with hiring manager which was mostly about my resume and background and then a phone screening after that. Phone screening was 45 minutes focused on experimentation.

Netflix
Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Netflix in Aug 2017

Interview

The onsite interview was 5.5 hours long. I met with 7 people. There was lots of product oriented questions. It was an exhausting day. You can expect coding questions, product-sense questions, A/B testing, experimental design and metric design. Read the culture deck! Read the culture deck! Read the culture deck! Culture is everything at Netflix!

Interview Questions
  • Given a month's worth of login data from Netflix such as account_id, device_id, and metadata concerning payments, how would you detect fraud? (identity theft, payment fraud, etc.)
Netflix
Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Netflix in Mar 2017

Interview

Manager direct contact. Scheduling failed to contact me. Followed up with initial contact. Scheduling set appointment, then rescheduled. Technical meeting was prototypical example of bad interviewing - looking for specific answers to domain specific questions without giving sufficent context. Looking for answers that match existing biases in the org. I didn't fit the mold, so although I was told I'd be contacted for more details, that never happened - and I don't mind.

Interview Questions
  • Given a single day with a large sample size and a significant test result, would you end the experiment?
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA
Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA)

Interview

Contacted on linkedin by netflix recruiter, went through phone interviews and then onsite. it included phone interviews and 2 onsites. I do not recommend others to interview with this company if you have other options.

Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA
Application

I applied through an employee referral The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA)

Interview

They move quite fast. One phone interview with the recruiter, and another detailed one with the hiring manager. Two onsite interviews with around 4 people first time (data scientists/engineers) and 3 people (higher level execs) second time. A mix of product, business, analytical and stats questions. Stats questions mostly revolved around A/B testing: hypothesis testing, etc. A couple easy-medium SQL questions. Analytical question included a hypothetical problem to analyze, metrics to evaluate product performance, etc. Higher level executives mostly focused on background and past experience.

Interview Questions
  • Toughest question was not technically tough, but helping a non-technical exec understand some technical concepts.
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Campbell, CA
Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Netflix (Campbell, CA) in Aug 2012

Interview

Contacted by HR recruiter through LinkedIn, they came back only after a month for phone screening. This was followed by phone screening by hiring mgr, it was very quick <15 mins, I was told that I will get in-person interview soon. In-person scheduling happened very quickly too. I interviewed 4 ppl, 45 mins each. HR person was very nice, approachable and easy to converse with. The following 2 ppl from peer teams also were quite nice; I was asked SQL questions and analysis approach which I expected to be asked. The last 45 mins was with hiring mgr who seemed a bit uptight. He/she asked a very in-depth SQL question to solve a problem he/she had recently worked on. It was interesting to me that he/she would ask something which definitely didn't fit into the 45 min window that we had. He/she herself vaguely acknowledged it was a hard question. After 10 mins of try, it was followed by another in-depth SQL question. It looked like they needed super analyst who could crack all kinds of in-depth data problems in span of minutes. I couldn't imagine working with somebody who had unrealistic expectations like this. I was happy when I got a call from there HR that they didn't pursue it. HR team though is super nice and persuasive and do a good job in profile matching. Just that Netflix's expectations are way out there and a geeky few will fit into that category.

Interview Questions
  • In-depth SQL questions, that can't be solved in the given time frame with lack of tools.
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA
Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA) in Jul 2012

Interview

HR phone screen, then an interview with a hiring manager

Interview Questions
  • How do you know if one algorithm is better than other?
Viewing 1 - 10 of 11 Interviews