Medtronic Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

Interviews at Medtronic

1,005 Interview Reviews

2.9

Compliance Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Medtronic.

Interview

The interview was conducted by a recruiter and followed a scripted series of questions. The recruiter appeared to type virtually every word that I said. At the conclusion, the interviewer sent a link to a type of an IQ test.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a document that you have reviewed. Tell me about a document that you have written.   Answer Question

PMO Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northridge, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Medtronic (Northridge, CA (US)) in December 2019.

Interview

The only positive part of the the very long and tedious three part interview was the interaction with the HR team. The people who conduct the in person, never ending, 3-4 hour interview should be interviewed themselves to make sure they’re qualified to conduct hiring interviews. Things that should not happen during an interview:
    - being asked the same exact question verbatim by 4 different people who couldn’t care less about your answer.
    - the interviewer talking about their own accomplishments instead of listening to the interviewee.
    - telling the interviewee that there is already a favorite among the candidates ( then why the hell am I wasting 4 hours of my day?? Have some professional respect and regard).
    - hiring manager showing up in what I would call a weekend athleisure outfit and then proceeding to inform you they remember nothing from your previous phone interview and need reminders.
    - being told by the interviewer that maybe you shouldn’t look to take a step back in your career just to be with this company.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when a project was a complete failure and how did you handle the outcome.   Answer Question

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Northridge, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Medtronic (Northridge, CA (US)).

Interview

I had a great experience in my interview with Continuous Glucose Monitoring team at Northridge-CA. I had multiple 1:1 interview sessions and a presentation. The interview team provided a friendly and calm atmosphere for my interview. Hiring manger and team provided enough information about the position and my responsibilty in the team.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
      How do you handle the classification tasks for a noisy and imbalanced datasets?   Answer Question

Regulatory Affairs Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Medtronic (Boston, MA (US)) in December 2019.

Interview

It was a phone screen. Lasted for a half-hour. The manager was very nice and asked relevant questions to understand my skill level about the process. It went very smoothly. I was given an offer.

Biomedical Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Medtronic.

Interview

They recruited through my school, and then reached out to me through Handshake. I had a phone behavioral interview with a recent college graduate who was a full time employee.

Senior Staff Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carlsbad, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Medtronic (Carlsbad, CA (US)) in November 2019.

Interview

I had a telephone interview with a number of members of the engineering team prior to a face-to-face interview. The face-to-face interview was with several of the individuals that I spoke with during the phone interview as well as additional individuals. All of the people with whom I met were very friendly, and very good conversations were had on both sides. There was a single exception to this --- during the on-site interview I met with one manager who conducted himself in the most arrogant and patronizing manner I have ever experienced in my career of 30 years. During this portion of the interview I was asked a technical question about interfacing a pressure transducer to a microcontroller, and how I would go about it. This type of engineering problem is one that I have executed many times over the course of my career, and in fact, within the past six months I had actually designed a complete product for the aerospace industry that involved that exact interface. As I discussed the problem with this individual, he asked me to describe how I would correct for errors in the overall system. I explained to him that a very common method for removing errors from these types of systems is calibration. Apparently this answer was unacceptable to him, and he asked me to explain how I could remove errors in the system that could not be removed by calibration. I explained that there aren't any errors of which I am aware that could not be removed by calibration -- after all, that is what calibration is meant to accomplish! I explained that calibration is accomplished by injecting a known input signal and examining the system's output signal. Since the system response to a known input signal is known, the difference between the actual system response and the proper system response is the calibration factor. This individual continued to insist that there are errors in a system that cannot be corrected by calibration. In this interest of trying to move the discussion along, I said to him, "Well, I am unaware of any kind of system error that cannot be removed by calibration, but if you are, please tell me what it is, and we can continue our discussion." In a very annoyed tone of voice he replied, "Drift!" I looked at him quizzically and replied, "Drift? Of course drift can be removed by calibration! I've developed numerous systems that are calibrated periodically to remove the effects of drift. That is a standard method for mitigating system errors due to drift --- periodic calibration." Apparently, pointing that fact out to him made him even more annoyed, so he changed the subject. He replied with, "Well, how do you inject that known signal to calibrate the system?" I replied by saying that there were several ways to do it, but the most common methods are to either build self-calibration hardware into the system itself, or bring up calibration equipment and perform the calibration that way. "Well," he said, "Suppose you don't have any external equipment and you can't build in calibration hardware. Then what do you do?" Upon hearing this question, and seeing that this individual, for whatever reason, was hell-bent on tripping me up over some minor point of design, I simply replied with, "I don't know." He proceeded to enlighten me with his superior intellect by saying, "Auto-zero!" Once he said that I understood what he was thinking about, and so I replied with, "Oh, okay, you are referring to shorting the input holding capacitors on the analog-to-digital converter. Well, that is exactly equivalent to injecting a known signal into the system --- in this case, the known signal is 'zero volts', and that is exactly equivalent to what I was describing just a minute ago. In this case, the auto-zero circuitry in the analog-to-digital converter is acting as the self-calibration hardware."

At that point, our time slot was just about over, and so we moved on to other things. I had already concluded at that point, that there is no way I would be getting an offer from this company, but more fundamentally, there is no way I would work for a company that employs a manager who has an attitude problem that severe.

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Medtronic.

Interview

I first Spoke with the recruiter at the career fair, and I attended their information session after the career fair. After nearly a month, I had 1 in-person behavioural interview. Then, after a month I had 1 remote interview with hiring a managers. A month or two after my first interview with the hiring manager, I had a second remote interview with another hiring manager. One hiring manager used a tool like Skype to talk, I forgot what it is called. And, another hiring manager spoke on the phone. After the second interview with the hiring manager, I got an offer.

Interview Questions

• How would you design an alarm system for such and such application? Tell me about such and such experience on your resume?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Medtronic in November 2019.

Interview

Spoke to a manager on the phone, then came on site for interview with two panels of two software engineers, then a separate interview with the program manager. I got called back within 3 days.

Interview Questions

• How would you break (simple system) up into objects for an Object Oriented Approach   1 Answer

Web Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Medtronic.

Interview

Was going great, interviewer was very happy with my online coding interview and I was offered an in house interview. How every they rescinded the offer because I didn't have a CS degree (even though they had my resume which was 100% honest about my degree)

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Medtronic.

Interview

I was contacted by the hiring manager by phone. He was extremely pleasant and conducted an informal questioning of my skills and abilities. Next, he sent me a follow up email with information about a follow up interview with one of his colleagues. Overall the interview process was very smooth.