Medtronic Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

Medtronic Interview Questions

Interviews at Medtronic

2.9

Associate Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Medtronic in December 2017.

Interview

I initially applied to the same role 5 months prior, but the title was the same. I learned that the role would be exactly the same after going through all the rounds of the interview and asking why the previous person left, I was informed the person left 6 months ago, and they have been trying to find a replacement. 5 months ago when I had my first phone screen, the interview did not go any further because my asking salary was outside of their range. Their target salary was I thought pretty ridiculous for a 90,000 employee company, location for the job would be in the Boston metropolitan area and for an Associate Manager position. A few months later I saw the same job description but the title became more senior, I thought well I might as well apply. I made it all the way until the end to the final interview. I was told I would hear back around 4-5 days. Now it's been about a week and I didn't hear back. I am just assuming radio silence as no, or it could very likely they don't have their acts together and is disorganized. Also very strange that the final interviews were conference calls, did not fly me in and not even a video interview. I honestly expected more from this company, I have never gone through final interviews and did not hear a yes a no. I am not sure if they have a system in place to even send out automated emails. Also I am not sure how many recruiters they have, seems like they are short staffed, both times I interacted with the same recruiter. I am not sure if the recruiter even remembered that we had spoke 5 months ago. There are a lot of strange things throughout this experience. I agree with other reviews on the interviews here that the company seems to lack courtesy. I can also assume that the pay is lower than industry average.

Associate Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Medtronic in January 2018.

Interview

Interview process was rushed and unorganized. Every time we reached what seemed like the end of the interview process, some other requirement came up that hadn't been previously discussed. After all of the hoop jumping all contact just stopped without warning. I expected more from a company of this stature.

Associate Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northridge, CA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Medtronic (Northridge, CA (US)) in February 2017.

Interview

Career Fair on campus and received email the following night. Scheduled for an interview that Friday afternoon. Interpersonal questions in STAR format. This was the first round process meant to go on for the second round. Not sure how many rounds total there would be.

Interview Questions

• Tell me of a time you did not meet eye to eye with a person and what was the result?   1 Answer
    • A time where you had to apply time management.   Answer Question
    • Innovative design and how you convinced members to agree   Answer Question
    • Tell me of a time where you worked in a team and there was a member who was not doing there part   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for Medtronic?   Answer Question

Associate Packaging Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Medtronic.

Interview

Interviewers will go over your resume with you in a 30 to 45 minute one-on-one segment. After each segment the current interviewer will call in the next interviewer to talk to you. I was interviewed by several department heads, managers, and senior team members. Each interviewer will have a different Human Resource question that is mandatory for them to ask you.

Associate Packaging Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Medtronic (Jacksonville, FL (US)) in December 2017.

Interview

The Medtronic did the interview the way full-time packaging engineering interviews SHOULD be done. They ask a couple of the STAR questions, ask a couple personality questions, then give a problem-solving question with a package they actually work with.

I expected it to be difficult because that is how I like it. The difficulty of the interview compared to others I have been through is what made me really want the job more because it showed I would work with employees who care about the packaging and their job. The set-up was four 45 minute formal interviews with Principal Packaging Engineer, two mechanical R&D engineers, and the hiring manager. Then a lunch with another packaging engineer, but the issue here was it was just out of my norm to be in a restaurant wearing my dress shirt answering questions while other people are trying to enjoy their time while we waited for our food. The team in the ENT department was amazing. They were all people who cared about their jobs, company, and what they make.

The Wednesday of Thanksgiving I had an HR manager reach out and had a Medtronic questionnaire to further elaborate on my experiences (I wish more companies did this). The next week I had the initial interview with that HR manager then later that week had a phone screen with the packaging hiring manager. Then the next week was reached out to come to Jacksonville for a formal on-site interview. Scheduled for the week before Christmas. They told me straight up they only brought in three people for an interview. I felt confident about my answers, but also understand that other candidates from the other universities may be much better candidates.

Medtronic is one of the top companies I want to work for because of their passion for the industry. This interview confirmed this. The team was formal and knowledgeable.

I turned down an offer from a food company because they didn't give me enough time before this offer came through. I hedged my bets and lost, but I will always keep trying to get employed by Medtronic in either a contracting or full-time employment.

EDIT: DOUBLE CHECK WITH THE HR CONTACT ABOUT TRAVEL. Three weeks after the email I get an email from the HR recruiter that they would only comp me for one night of hotel & car rental. It was never once mentioned in the reimbursement agreement. Good thing I already picked one of the cheaper hotels.

Interview Questions

• Three different problem-solving questions with giving me the package & asking my thoughts on it and how I would solve it.   1 Answer

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Medtronic (Los Angeles, CA (US)) in November 2018.

Interview

Phone interview was as any phone interview. They start with you telling a short blurb about yourself, what you've been up to lately, who you are, the usual. The technical part of the phone interview were general questions about Java (this position was a Java developer position). I did really well at this point because it was basically very conversational and I know Java really well. This was a conference call with me and 2 others. The next step was the coding interview. This was done online where we shared the screen and had video/audio. The software they used was horrible. There was a large delay on my keystrokes, which was so distracting, and basically reduced my control over my input. Image trying to type and backspace and the keystroke taking 1/2 a second to respond. Also there were issues with video and audio cutting out. At first connect the interviewer couldn't hear me, so he called me. Then he suddenly could hear me, so he switched back to the computer. Then halfway through the video AND audio disappeared, so he called me again. He repeatedly apologized and said the software was always like this! This was my FIRST EVER coding interview and I was so nervous to begin with, adding all this glitch to it was just untenable. I could barely think and every time I wanted to make corrections to my code I had so much trouble with the keystrokes that it would delete the code I wanted, oh my gosh. So difficult. The worst part was at the end he LIED to me and told me I passed and that he would get me scheduled for the next interview. I knew it even as he was saying it that he wasn't telling the truth. I would have been just fine hearing "thanks we'll be in touch" but to be lied to is a whole different level of unprofessional. Especially when I didn't even ask. He just offered a lie. Wow. After a few business days of not hearing anything, I checked in with the recruiter and she told me I was passed over for someone with more experience. Ok, that's fair, but I could have performed a lot better without all the distractions of their weird coding interview system failures, and I actually would have been fine hearing that at the end of the interview, not a lie. I am actually really good at Java, but c'mon, FIRST ever interview and its like THAT? Also I am a new grad, so what level of experience are they looking for??? Look, I know I screwed up and my nerves got the better of me, but its best that anyone who reads this will be informed that its not the best interview process and you can't necessarily trust them. That sorta took all the sting out of the rejection anyway. If that person was my boss, how would I ever get any real feedback to grow with from him? He would always tell me I'm fine and then complain behind my back..... something to think about.

Interview Questions

• Difference between Java interface and "virtual" class, which I corrected to abstract class. What is OO programming, what does it mean that something is declared static, what is a design pattern. All the usual stuff. No tricks and nothing very advanced. Code part was Sieve of Erathamos (sp?) and reversing the letters only in a string with letters and "special" characters. I screwed up the first one from mind blanking hell, but got the second even compiled and got the right answer. Be advised he said it was ok to google for built-in functions but I am not sure that was really true. Its best to know them pat, or you might get dubbed as "low experience"   Answer Question

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Medtronic (Minneapolis, MN (US)) in December 2011.

Interview

pretty much just standard interview processes. not much different than others. you get phone interview to go over some basic questions, and then a week or two later you get invited to onsite interview with 3/4 people from different teams. then another week later you get called from manager for the decision.

Interview Questions

• some standard tech questions and software development cycle questions   Answer Question

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Medtronic (Minneapolis, MN (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

1. Prescreening - Ask you about your work status and schedule time for 3 technical assessment tests and for 3 interviews on the same day with 3 different managers.
    2. Assessment Tests - Coding, Testing and UI tests
    3. WebEx Meeting interviews - Three 45 min interviews with 3 managers. They ask about the projects on your resume, Situational and Behavorial Questions mainly. Minimal of Technical Questions.

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Medtronic (Los Angeles, CA (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

I had applied online.I was contacted by a recruiter and scheduled for a set of interviews.But before that I needed to give a test on HackerRank.The test was ridiculous.3 tests each of 45 minutes based on coding,UI and testing.I didnt get through the test and didnt have the rest of the interviews.

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Medtronic (Minneapolis, MN (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied through university career fair. There are three stages:
    Phone Interview - mainly resume based questions, was asked about experience with Java
    On-line Assessment - mainly objective questions, there were three parts - Java, User Interface, Testing. revise basic Java before appearing for the on-line assessment. User Interface and Testing questions were of medium difficulty level.
    On-site Interview - Three on on one interviews, about 45 minutes each. Difficulty level is average.
    Got rejection e-mail after couple of days. Overall neutral experience.