MassMutual Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

Updated 13 Jul, 2017

2.7

78 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MassMutual (Columbia, MD (US)) in July-2017.

Interview

It's phone interview. They asked few questions about my interest in this position, and my community relationship in Metro area. And they also told me something about the work in Thompson Financial Group. Then Q&A

Multiple Positions Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MassMutual (Springfield, MA (US)) in June-2017.

Interview

There have been several instances where I have gone for a personal interview, and an instance where I applied for Call Center position. The recruiting office is a separate company that does the hiring for Mass Mutual. It is usually a recruiter emailing or calling you to set up a day and time to meet with the hiring manager for the department you applied for. I have met with a few hiring managers that SEEM friendly, but also make the interview process intimidating. I don't understand how Mass Mutual can be a company that wants you to excel but doesn't give people to opportunity to show what they are worth. Mass Mutual makes you feel very discouraged in the job seeking process. You don't feel qualified for much after your interview, and the emails they send out "although your resume is impressive we have chosen a candidate that better suits the position" What did I do wrong in the interview? Did I not answer their questions the way they wanted?

Interview Questions

• How do you handle stress and deadlines on a time crunch?   1 Answer
    • How do you handle constructive criticism?   1 Answer

Financial Advisor Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reno, NV (US)

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at MassMutual (Reno, NV (US)) in May-2017.

Interview

A local satellite contacts you saying they've found your resume on social media and have sent you an email invitation for phone interview; you schedule with some third-party meeting service for a phone interview date and time for the manager to call you...all that day you hear nothing, weeks later you get another robo-email request for phone interview.

Operations Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, MA (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at MassMutual (Springfield, MA (US)) in April-2017.

Interview

The one interview that mattered was with the Director. Right off the bat she was inappropriately dressed. Also, I was never really asked any intelligent questions. I don't know how she is director.

Interview Questions

• Do you know so and so? Do you know this other person?   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to work here? Twice asked   1 Answer
    • Do you know the person who was in this role before? He worked at your company.   1 Answer
    • I will have some pricing positions available soon because some other people are leaving. Would this interest you if this current position doesn't work out?   1 Answer

Operations Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MassMutual (Springfield, MA (US)) in March-2017.

Interview

I applied online, a few days later got emailed for a phone screening. The recruiter was almost an hour late for the phone screening. I then had an in person interview with the hiring manager. It lasted almost an hour, and then the manager had two staff members from the department come down which lasted another hour. The overall feeling was very stiff and unorganized. It was mostly the manager bragging about how great the team is. It seemed like the manager was attempting to intimidate me.

Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at MassMutual in March-2017.

Interview

Recruiters are professional; however, a few over speak. They do a great job of preparing and coaching for an interview. They could do a much better job of providing feedback when an offer is not made. The hiring managers seem to have an elitest mentality almost as if you should beg to work for the company. The questions were very elementary and did little to uncover what I would bring to the table or what I was looking for in the role. Very manager 101 questions, robotic/ little personality

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when motivating a team was difficult and the success of your job depended on it.   1 Answer

Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MassMutual in March-2017.

Interview

They are basically only looking for you to contact the people you personally know and sell them their products. It's a cold calling job for the lowest position and they don't provide you with numbers to call. They also expect you to have X amount of meetings per day with possible clients.

Financial Services Professional Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at MassMutual.

Interview

I was introduced to a Financial Advisor from a mutual friend, he reached out to me over the phone to connect briefly and after discussing what I was looking for professionally he invited me into the office to have a more formal meeting in person. I was looking for an operational position, something not tied directly to sales but I wanted to keep an open mind during the meeting to see what opportunities were available.

The overall interaction was very welcoming and accommodating, not to mention very informative about the company and position. He talked about things like company background, products and services sold, incentive structure, and prospecting process. Financial Service Professionals are pretty much strictly commission with yearly kickers and modifiers. Depends on your personality if you are willing to put it in the work and grow a book of business over time.

Left the interview with a follow up reply to take a personality assessment and schedule a follow up meeting.

Monitoring Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MassMutual (New York, NY (US)) in November-2016.

Interview

After a phone screen specifying requirements an onsite was scheduled. Lo an behold when I get there there was no position, nothing in process and a complete lack of understanding of the requirements fleshed out by me in the phone screen.

Interview Questions

• I was asked very few technical questions and I got the distinct feeling they were looking for engineering or architectural suggestions.   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Meridian, ID (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at MassMutual (Meridian, ID (US)) in October-2016.

Interview

It was a phone interview. The interviewer was very personal and professional. I was very comfortable speaking with him. He asked many personal questions, one of which I was not comfortable with answering. He sensed this and changed the subject quickly.

Interview Questions

• This is a negative. He asked me the ages of my children. This is not a good indicator to me since it could lead to hiring discrimination based on age.   1 Answer