MSCI Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

MSCI Interview Questions

Interviews at MSCI

3.1

Consultant Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at MSCI.

Interview

2 entretiens. Un managerial/ambiance/presentation. Un technique.
    Les intervenants ont plus parlé d'eux que du sujet. Ils insistent sur l'état d'esprit à "l'américaine " de la gestion des Rh.

Les deux entretiens sont en salle de réunion au siège. Sinon questions classiques : consultant selon vous ? Indicateurs historiques de risque ?

Ambiance ressentie assez malaisante.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norman, OK (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MSCI (Norman, OK (US)) in November 2019.

Interview

I went through a recruiting agency to setup an interview with them. Went through a phone interview and a written test. Was told that I would here back by the end of next week. Not only did they never give me a response, but they ghosted me and the recruiter. Extremely unprofessional way to handle that and was told they do this to other recruiters too and they are some of the only ones. Ghosting applicants, especially ones invited in for any sort of interview, is terrible enough. However, ghosting the recruiters too is just despicable.

Interview Questions

• Phone interview was very generic and asked for general experience and preferences, nothing too specific. Only enough to get me interested.   Answer Question
    • Written test included advanced sql, java, with multiple optional tests in perl, advanced python(specific libraries), finances.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at MSCI (New York, NY (US)) in September 2019.

Interview

Started with a simple telephonic.
    Simple Java questions. One mathematics question.
    Then had second call, that guy was good but asked questions in frustrated way. But managed that.
    Was off to next round where the onsite manager asked some random questions on project and why am I looking for change.
    I think I did clear that, but salary demand was high.
    So no offers.

Interview Questions

• after every 4 seconds a fresh series of no comes, we have to maintain the max element of every series and compare it with new".   1 Answer
    • column based vs row based DB   Answer Question
    • why we package one project in many jars   1 Answer
    • Java 8 atomicity. auto increment in safe manner with use of locking or sync blocks.   1 Answer

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MSCI in June 2019.

Interview

First time with HR and second time with hiring manager. The whole process took about 1 month. Questions are all about QA of data and Financial Market concepts like derivatives.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MSCI.

Interview

1 phone interview (called randomly), 1 writing test (markets related quiz and case study), 2 back to back technical and behavioral (mainly focusing on resume) interviews by Senior Associate and Associate and 1 HR interview (mainly checking requirements)

Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at MSCI (New York, NY (US)) in April 2019.

Interview

The first step was a phone call with the lead (?) HR/Recruitment rep. Very early on speaking with her it was apparent she didn't understand what this position did, so by keeping to buzz words and cracking a joke here or there, I was able to move on.

The next step was the following week, where I met with the would be (?) department head (in NYC), in a small conference room. He was pleasant, and we seemed to share many of the same philosophies and professional mannerisms/ideologies. I left that interview feeling slightly confident (only because at the end things just kept getting more and more awkward, as it seemed there was no set path/next steps and he ultimately had no say in whether or not I was hired).

A whole week and a half went by, and I reached out only to have things be a bit unclear, and there was a back and forth with several emails. I was then contacted by HR/Recruitment woman #2, who notably seemed to be much more capable/in touch with the company as a whole, but she seemed a bit reduced in her abilities by HR/Recruitment woman #1, having to answer to her/follow #1's lead. It was a shame, because she seemed one of the few honest, straightforward people I met with. I ended up having to set up a time the following week to speak to the hiring manager, a woman whom was located in London.

That phone interview seemed based around a script, as there were a few cut-and-dry obviously googled "what to ask on an interview" type questions. The woman (hiring manager, as it turned out) seemed as if she was doing something else at the same time, or at least not taking the interview seriously. I left this phone call less than confident, and figured I would move on.

Oddly, I was contacted late the next week asking to come in for a "final round" of interviews. I met with three people, the first of which being a different person entirely as the person I was supposed to have met with "went home sick" (notably seeing eyeroll from the two people who told me this). The first woman (substitute) I met with was very straight-forward, and we had great chemistry in our discussion, a no BS kind of person, truly looking to be the best at her job and we shared a great discourse. She painted a picture of the company being a "wild west" type of environment. The second woman's first words to me were that she was late and had to cut things short, and in general she seemed unpleasant and had already checked out before she even started chatting. I did what I could to keep the conversation upbeat, but it wasn't my strongest showing. The third, and last woman I spoke with I had an interesting discussion with, but some small notable oddities in the conversation–nothing horrendous, but perhaps just telling of her having a quirky personality. All-in-all, however, I felt confident that I may actually being getting an offer, as I was very confident that I could do great things for the company and I could find my place there, and that I had expressed this and got along well enough with everyone to be asked on.

A week went by, I reached out to HR/Recruitment woman #1 to receive a message that the hiring manager was out on a conference (for a whole week? after she herself had mentioned she wanted to "hire someone as quick as possible"), and that she would get back to me as soon as she heard. To no surprise, here I sit almost 3 weeks later having never heard anything...it's honestly possible I could still be in the running. Who knows?

There were a lot of small flags throughout the entire process, mostly perhaps being the oddities/challenges one expects with the world of finance...and there were many telltale signs of people who had "failed up" and in the mercurial and fluid current nature of the company could float by with general incompetence/apathy. It would've been better than where I work currently, for certain, but perhaps I'd be looking for a new job within a year or two coming to the same toxic attributes one seemingly cannot avoid in finance–be it with the work or people.

There was no real passion or humanity to the process, and although mostly polite, there was a lot of professionalism left to be desired.

Interview Questions

• What is your greatest design skill?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Norman, OK (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at MSCI (Norman, OK (US)) in April 2019.

Interview

Easy. Impatient Management. Avoid Indian HRs

Got the offer, then the offer was revoked.
    I was supposed to get back to the management with the acceptance within 5 days, I was updated the fourth day that my offer was revoked.
    It was super traumatic experience.
    HR had "0" courtesy throughout the process. Hated HR's behavior, tone and approach on talking to a new hire.

Anyone who is joining MSCI, beware of the HR dept and maybe upper management.

Interview Questions

MSCI Response

Dec. 9, 2019 – HR

Thank you for your comments. Companies like Glassdoor are an important source of improvement data and we take the opinions of current and past employees – as well as candidates interviewing with us, seriously. We have reviewed your experience and realize it dates to earlier in 2019 so in the future would encourage you to raise concerns or provide feedback in the moment so we can also address in real time. Please also be assured that rescinding offers of employment is not something that we take lightly, and it happens very rarely, but only when there is due concern or rationale. In your case, having reviewed the details, we knew that we were a second choice in your decision making, and having met your counter proposal for the original offer, we left multiple messages asking for your response to the offer on the deadline. We are also disappointed at some of the language you use in your post with regards to our team and would hope that this was not intended in the way it has been received. MSCI is a fully inclusive organization and does not tolerate descriptors of this nature. We hope that your search for a role was successful and you are enjoying your current challenge.

Applications Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norman, OK (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at MSCI (Norman, OK (US)) in April 2019.

Interview

Group/Panel Round consisting of 3 interviewers. There were three rounds. Interview lasted for two hours. The main concepts that were tested were C++, Data Structures, OOPs. Statistical knowledge was also tested.

Reference Data Analyst-Fixed Income Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norman, OK (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at MSCI (Norman, OK (US)) in January 2019.

Interview

I had interned here for about 8 months as a Market Data Analyst and was refereed by my manager for this position.

The process consisted of the following interviews.
    1. HR Screening - Phone - General Fit for the job - 15 minutes
    2. Hiring Manager - Phone - Tech/Fin screen - 30 mins
    3. Team Member - Onsite - Tech/Fin/Behavioral - 1 hour
    4. Team Member- Onsite - Tech/Fin/Behavioral - 45 mins
    5. Team Member - Onsite - Tech/Fin/Behavioral - 45 mins
    6. Vice President - Phone - Discussion - 30 mins
    7. Executive Director - Phone - General Discussion - 30 mins

Team members usually will have a set of questions.
    - Was asked to explain the general gist of a Perl code/script in two of the interviews.
    - SQL questions
    - Fixed Income Instruments - Pricing of a Bond, Duration, Types of bonds and their behavior and basic definitions.
    - Simple Whiteboard coding questions which test whether you understand the concept of Control flow.
    - General behavioral questions - Plans for 3 and 5 yrs, How do you handle multiple deadlines etc.

Interview Questions

• Basic to Advanced SQL Questions until you are not able to answer to judge your level of Knowledge. This is also done for other skills like Linux, Finance etc.   1 Answer

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MSCI.

Interview

First round is the phone interview. Then, VP assigns a project which requires knowledge in pricing simple options. After that, a phone chat which asks about backgrounds.
    Final round is a 1.5 hour group chat.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between future and forward contract. In which case will you prefer future contract.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.