MEC Canada Interview Questions

Updated May 6, 2022

To filter interviews, or .
Found 77 of over 77 interviews

2.7
HardAverageEasy

Interviews for Top Jobs at MEC Canada

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at MEC Canada (Toronto, ON) in Apr 2022

Interview

The day after I applied for the position online I got an interview offer, which was scheduled for a few days from then. The interview was very laid back and easy-going, and I felt I got along well with the manager speaking to me. It took about 30-40 minutes, and I was shown the staff room beforehand. I was told at the end of the interview that I'll be contacted in roughly a week regarding next steps, but I never heard back. I followed up with them through email after giving them an additional week of waiting, and again got radio silence. I would normally not think much of it as I know the hiring process is long and there are many people to go through, but being told to expect a response regardless of if I get a job offer or not and instead hearing nothing was frustrating.

Interview Questions
  • - When in a past experience have you taken responsibility for a task when others would not? - When dealing with a customer situation, how do you handle conflict? - What do you do when you are busy tasking and multiple people need your help at the same time? - What section of the store would you feel most comfortable working in?
    Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kitchener, ON

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MEC Canada (Kitchener, ON) in Feb 2022

Interview

Very laid-back interview. It was a very informative interview and they didn't make you feel nervous or stressed in any way, they were very nice. Overall, it was one of the easier interviews I've done.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 months. I interviewed at MEC Canada (Toronto, ON)

Interview

I applied at 2 different locations and had interviews at both location. The MEC downtown Toronto interview was performed professionally and the manager of the store was friendly and going through the interview like a discussion(that manager left shortly after though). The Burlington location interview ended abruptly over a schedule issue after 1 min, which made me lose 2h of my day. The manager was unprofessional in the way he ended the interview and clearly lacks vision during hiring process. The #1 thing people complain about MEC nowadays is the lack of career industry people working there to give proper advices and share knowledge, yet he refused to even finish the interview over a small thing(the other location hired me and had no issue with my small demand) and missed on the opportunity to finally hire someone with a lot of industry knowledge and years of experience in retail.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about a time you had to solve a problem with a coworker.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 week. I interviewed at MEC Canada (Vancouver, BC) in Mar 2021

Interview

30 minutes of behavioral, rapid fire questions. Come prepared and be ready to only answer questions and showcase your experience. It is not as conversational and more to the point

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at MEC Canada (Vancouver, BC) in Feb 2021

Interview

After applying I was invited to an in-person interview less than a week after. The team Leader lead the interview and asked several questions about my previous experience, goals, and personality. It was a very nice and friendly environment. It took 30 min I heard back 3-4 days later

Interview Questions
  • Why do you want to work for MEC? What kind of outdoor activities are you practicing? What kind of outdoor activities would you like to start? What's your favorite hike nearby? How would you react if several customers need something from you at the same time? Why do you want this position?

MEC Canada

Application

I interviewed at MEC Canada

Interview

Routine style of interviews. Phone screen, then several rounds of interviews including interview with designer, front end developer and manager. Questions from manager didn't seem to understand design but that may have been inexperience. Wasn't overly stressful. They were open about the situation at MEC.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MEC Canada (Vancouver, BC) in Jan 2021

Interview

Friendly and welcoming. Service experience expected, from any industry. Expert experience with out door gear and activities helps. Contact centre. Emails and caht. Phones. 7 days a week, weekends must be available

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at MEC Canada (Vancouver, BC) in Dec 2020

Interview

Phone interview, and then a panel interview via zoom. Be prepared to be interviewed by four people. It was a half an hour long interview and most questions were behavioural. It was really intimidating to have an interview with that many people and even worse via zoom.

Interview Questions
1 person found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 months. I interviewed at MEC Canada (Toronto, ON) in May 2020

Interview

Started with a call from a recruiter getting your background and work history. They ask you a few questions then if successful you move onto the second interview with the district manager and HR person who interviewed you.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

MEC Canada

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MEC Canada

Interview

Two rounds of interviews, the first goes over retail and outdoors experience and the second one has more standard interview questions. You have to apply online prior to attending a hiring fair.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 77 Interviews

MEC Canada Interviews FAQs

Glassdoor users rated their interview experience at MEC Canada as 64.0% positive with a difficulty rating score of 2.69 out of 5 (where 5 is the highest level of difficulty). Candidates interviewing for Customer Service Representative and Advisor rated their interviews as the hardest, whereas interviews for Frontline Staff and Floor Staff roles were rated as the easiest.

The hiring process at MEC Canada takes an average of 19 days when considering 114 user submitted interviews across all job titles. Candidates applying for Advisor had the quickest hiring process (on average 8 days), whereas Frontline Staff roles had the slowest hiring process (on average 15 days).

Common stages of the interview process at MEC Canada according to 114 Glassdoor interviews include:

One-on-One Interview: 32.82%