Linamar Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

Linamar Interview Questions

Interviews at Linamar

2.5

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Asheville, NC (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Linamar (Asheville, NC (US)).

Interview

Pretty standard interview process. First there was a screen call with an HR rep. Then a longer phone interview with the hiring manager. Then lastly an in-person panel interview consisting of the hiring manager, the lead engineer, and an HR representative which included a shop walk to look at the processes and some questions on them to test your knowledge. Mix of old machines and fairly cutting edge technology. I'd been through the facility a few years earlier, and they had continued to grow since then. Honestly, I was very excited about the opportunity. But...

I would highly recommend that you are very careful about discussing salary prior to taking your personal time to interview. Before setting up the in-person interview they specifically asked me about salary expectations due to the high cost of living in the Asheville area so, in their exact words, "They aren't wasting their time." I asked what the salary range was for the position and they told me, so I gave them my existing base salary because it was just over the middle of their range and told them I wanted to be at that or better. They said this was perfectly acceptable based on my experience level. However, when the offer came it was THIRTEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS LOWER than my current salary (the very bottom of the pay range), didn't even have the same basic benefits package discussed prior to the interview, I was expected to pay for my own moving expenses (currently live across the country), and was to submit for drug testing within 24 hours in Asheville (again, I'm on the other side of the country). I thought it was a mistake, meant for somebody else who lived locally without 20-years experience. I asked the HR contact about it and was scheduled for a follow-up call with the manager to discuss it. In it, I asked if my experience was just not up to standard hence the low salary and I was told, "No, but that is all I have in my budget as I need to hire three people" and then told me that "Somebody else just accepted the same offer" like that mattered to me. He said he could "probably" get some relo assistance and change the drug requirement. (We never even addressed benefits.) He then repeatedly asked me for my bottom dollar and, since I'd already stated that prior flying out for the final interview, I repeatedly told him I couldn't answer that without knowing what the relo package would be and the remaining non-monetary benefits. He told me he would see what he could do. Followed up two weeks later and was told he was still working on it and would let me know. Never heard from them again.

So, overall, awesome potential with the company, fast paced, new processes and developments, exciting product, and in a absolutely gorgeous location but in the end utterly disappointing in how they ended up completely wasting my time even though they were the ones who were concerned about me wasting theirs.

Interview Questions

• Asked about different gear nomenclature symbols verses their meanings.   Answer Question
    • Was handed a gear chart from a recent inspection and asked to interpret it.   Answer Question
    • What type of CNC experience do you have?   Answer Question
    • What software have you used for CAD?   Answer Question
    • Why Linamar?   1 Answer
    • What is the ANSI standard for GDaT?   1 Answer
    • What type of tolerances have you held in previous gear manufacturing positions?   1 Answer
    • "Taking this job is going to be like stepping in front of a freight train. Does that concern you?" This is exactly how they asked the question.   1 Answer

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Linamar.

Interview

The interview was a meeting with HR and some managers. It lasted about 30 minutes with the primary discussion being about my experience and answering questions directed to HR and to me.

Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Farmington Hills, MI (US)

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Linamar (Farmington Hills, MI (US)) in August 2017.

Interview

It was a walk-in interview. Fast paced. Two people conducted pre-interview and after approx. half n hour HR conducted the main interview. Though it was an entry level position but they needed a person who has engineering experience in the areas of product development.

Maintenance Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arden, NC (US)

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Linamar (Arden, NC (US)).

Interview

After applying through their website for a mechanical role, submitting my resume, and being contacted for an interview We set up a time for a phone interview because I am out of state. I answer the call prepared and ready. The interviewer asks if I have experience with computer programming or an electrical engineering degree. Neither of these qualities are in the job description or requirements and I do not have either. They tell me I am not qualified and hang up on me.

Interview Questions

• Do you have a degree in electrical engineering?   1 Answer

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Linamar.

Interview

2 interviews usually, general interview questions. Interview with HR manager first and then the company manager in the 2nd interview . Usually performed in a boardroom. Dress in business casual attire. Ask to go on a tour of the facility.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Linamar   1 Answer

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Guelph, ON

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Linamar (Guelph, ON) in January 2020.

Interview

Applied Online. EMail from HR. Onsite interview in Jan. All these within 1 and a half month.
    Went to their plant for an interview. One Indian guy and HR took the interview. It was like Indian guy was not at all interested in interviewing me, sat there just to sit. Didn't ask much. Few behavioral questions and at the end the told me that I will be notified within 2 weeks. I did not hear back so after 2 weeks, I followed up for an update, didn't hear back, then after a week, again followed up twice at one week interval, but didn't hear back. After 2 and a half month, I received a rejection. Very slow process and they seem confused in hiring someone, because they kept posted the same position for at least 10 times after my interview, they posted again on the day of my rejection too. Got rejection in March.
    Very confused company, I guess.

Senior Quality Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Guelph, ON

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Linamar (Guelph, ON) in October 2019.

Interview

1. The position was posted on the company internal website
    2. Had interview with the quality manager and human resources
    3. The interview went well. They asked me technical and probing questions
    4. I followed up and sent thank you letter

Interview Questions

• What you did for scrap reduction   1 Answer

Junior Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Guelph, ON

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Linamar (Guelph, ON) in October 2019.

Interview

Very simple process, asked basic questions regarding previous positions etc. Bunch of behavioral type questions and some very simple engineering based questions. Following this we went on a quick tour of the facility.

Metallurgical Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Guelph, ON

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Linamar (Guelph, ON) in September 2019.

Interview

I got an email from the HR person. It was just one interview. They were asking for long shifts and also the salary was not matching my expectations.
    The whole interview went well but the role was not matching my background and experiences.

Interview Questions

• Are you ok with having continental shifts?   1 Answer

Quality Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Guelph, ON

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Linamar (Guelph, ON) in May 2019.

Interview

Initial phone screen and then called for an 2 on 1 interview. Manager wants to be a show off, wants to show how much he knows rather than asking what we know

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.