John Lewis & Partners Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

John Lewis & Partners Interview Questions

Interviews at John Lewis & Partners

2.7

Ops Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at John Lewis & Partners (London, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

Very structured, fairly split amongst different areas. The interview was conducted in a very professional manner. The process has been explained very well from the start and followed through.

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at John Lewis & Partners in December 2014.

Interview

Applied online. Phone to invite to interview, just over one days notice. No advance notice that it was a group assessment with internal candidates. Asked to dress a display from items I had to select from within store in only 20 mins, with no advance notice. A biased & unfair process with no follow up.

Interview Questions

• What would you look for in a candidate if you were interviewing for this role   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at John Lewis & Partners in May 2017.

Interview

Applied online, got an interview 1 week afterwards and had to choose between 3 slots.
    The two people that interviewed me were very friendly and not so formal, even though the recruiting process was very well-rounded. The manager told me I would have the answer at the end of the week, and I did.

Interview Questions

• Asked to make a moodboard about VM trends beforehand.   2 Answers
    • Had questions about being able to work as a team, communication style, how I reacted with feedback, and my qualities.   Answer Question

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at John Lewis & Partners (Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)) in July 2018.

Interview

I applied online and received an email asking me to book my slot for a group assessment. After doing that I had an email giving me a document which explained what I needed to do to prepare for the interview. I was asked to create a mood board of current trends and a 10 minute presentation to your "assessors" which would be followed by a 10 minute question and answer. The email said to report to the partners entrance reception. So I spent hours preparing this presentation, doing research and what not and put it all on my USB assuming there would be a screen I would be using to give this presentation to my assessors.
    So on the day of the interview I go through the partners entrance and there isn't a clear reception, the place I walked into there was a man sat in a corner tucked away who didnt even acknowledge me so I assumed I was in the wrong place until I realised there was nowhere else I could be going so I was told to just take a seat in a very dismissive manner. The group was taking through to this room where the process was explained, we would be having one to one interviews and then a group task. Fair. There was four assessors who were from various departments of the store which slightly surprised me since we had been asked to prepare a presentation and mood board etc which was visual merchandising specific but never mind. Since there was 4 assessors and 5 in my group one person had to wait until everyone had an individual interview as only one assessor was interviewing (the email suggested you would be interviewed by more than one).
    My one to one interview was with a lady from a different department, I explained I had my mood board and presentation on a USB and she looked confused so luckily I had taken my laptop just in case so I had to show her it on that. Fair enough it could have been a misunderstanding on my behalf but usually a presentation is digital. She asks to show me my mood board which I talk through and then I actually had to ask if I was showing her my presentation or if that was for later as it hadnt been mentioned so she was like ah yeh you can just show me it. So I'm going through this presentation which I had prepared believing it was for a couple of people at least as the email had clearly stated "assessors" and the woman interviewing doesn't seem particularly interested at all, at one point I literally thought why did I even bother making this?! Then the "10 minute question and answer" at the end consisted of her looking through a generic printed out list of questions and saying she was looking to see which ones were relevant to ask me so there was clearly no genuine interest.
    So after the individual interview theres a group task where you're put into small groups and we were given a work style scenario and had to come up with an action plan. This "scenario" was as if you would have been working alone but as a group you had to problem solve. This was simple enough and fair enough as long as you're extremely bossy and don't let anybody else speak or have an opinion. Two girls in my group were exactly like that and the assessors who were observing seemed to be loving them.
    Overall, I expected so much more professionalism from John Lewis, its recognised as being a good quality store etc yet that interview to me was a shambles. I spent hours considering and preparing the presentation they asked for and it was literally seen by one woman from a different department who didn't even seem to understand what I was talking about or seem particularly bothered if I actually showed her it or not.

Interview Questions

• When have you received good feedback from customers about a display?   1 Answer
    • How do you keep up to date with trends?   Answer Question

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newcastle, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at John Lewis & Partners (Newcastle, England (UK)) in September 2018.

Interview

Group task, roughly half an hour, in front of four staff members. This was a scenario based task, a bit like the interview questions you have to do online before the interview stage. Then individual presentations, as emailed; mood board and an accompanying presentation. Went through a whole booklet of questions, then gave my presentation, which they seemed to like.

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Petersfield, England (UK)

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at John Lewis & Partners (Petersfield, England (UK)).

Interview

Very long, dragged out, unnecessary process.
    Started with online application, was asked to complete a 20 minute questionnaire of situational questions that you had to rank from “most likely” to “least likely” e.g You’re colleague goes home sick which means you cannot leave early to go to your sisters birthday party like you were hoping as there is now extra work to do. Would you a) be annoyed and kick up a fuss b) tell them you wish they get better soon, get some rest and you’ll always have other birthday party’s to go to c) moan about them to other employees ...which obviously no one ever actually answers honestly, because truthfully we’d all probably have a little moan about it, but obviously you’re supposed to say “wish that they get better soon and you’ll always have other parties to go to”

After completing this was asked to do yet another question and answer thing, can’t remember what this was, more situational questions about teamwork etc what would you do if another colleague asked for your help but you already had loads to do etc

Then had the simple uploading cv bit and equal opportunities questions.

Was invited to an interview in which I was given a task to do beforehand where I had to create a mood-board on current home and fashion trends, followed by a 10 minute presentation about said moodboard, that was to be followed by a 10 minute question and answer session based on the mood board.

The brief literally said to do a presentation on the moodboard, covering these points
    Visual Display
    Visual standards
    Competitors

I’m assuming it was so vague on purpose to see how you approached the task and what you came up with ( they asked in the interview how did you approach this task, so I guessed right)
    I thought I came up with an inventive way of covering all the points in the brief (I based it on shopping the store from a customers perspective and briefly made points about the things they wanted you to discuss)

On the day of they rang me at 11 saying where are you when my interview was at 12, which I had checked several times beforehand. I arrived at 11.45 as asked to, was made to wait in the staff room with current employees, bit of an awkward setting. Interviewer came and took me to another room, I was interviewed by 2 people, one the current VM and one some other manager. They were both nice enough but I could tell they had already made their minds up with other people.

The interview questions were clearly based around buzzwords as in they are looking for you to say specific things then you get a tick if you mention that one word.
    E.g can you get it wrong when setting up a display and do you have freedom to do what you want

I said something along the lines of no I can’t get it wrong because I get given a guide which I then adapt to make it more commercial to my specific store and I am trusted to make changes as long as I can give good reason and provide evidence that it has worked after.

Good answer but because I didn’t mention the buzzword “on brand” (E.g yes I get the freedom to do what I want as long as it’s on brand) I don’t get a tick because it’s not what they’re looking for.

Questions also worded more confusingly than need to be so you miss the point that their actually asking you.

I made a visit to the store the week beforehand where I mystery shopped them and made notes about certain vm techniques they use. I spent a whole day fussing over a moodboard using cuttings from JL own magazines that they had in store.
    I rehearsed my presentation so it was exactly 10 minutes long.

Unfortunately I let nerves get the better of me always in these situations and no matter how much I prepare I always forget half of what I need to say because I am so panicky.

I have supervisor experience, 3 years vm experience, and for the amount of effort I put in I am obviously disappointed I didn’t get it, but I don’t think interviews prove anything at the end of the day - maybe the person they picked interviews really well but will be awful at the job!?

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at John Lewis & Partners (London, England (UK)) in September 2017.

Interview

Applied online, filling in CV information, then had to complete various tests - scenario based questions testing personality, skills and competency.
    Once I passed this, I was offered the interview, for which I had to prepare a presentation based on John Lewis products.
    Interview was a one to one with my potential line manager.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you have delivered a piece of work/ project you were really proud of.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at John Lewis & Partners in August 2018.

Interview

A group interview with individual tasks across fashion and homeware. (Picking out outfits, knowing the core home ranges, presenting a moodboard, one-one interview) . Creating and presenting a moodboard demonstrating current fashion and interior trends. In depth online application, followed by a 4 hour (large group) interview.

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at John Lewis & Partners in November 2018.

Interview

Completed a group interview where we had a task to review different brands, we were given a booklet with the figures of each brand from this year vs last year. We were also given a drawn diagram of the layout and also pictures of each brand too. Our task was to show how we could increase sales vs last years. By doing that we had the choice to change the layout of the brands, we also had to explain how we could make the brand stand out more, for example: playing up the styles of clothing, doing different ways to wear on fixtures, dressing mannequins, putting more accessories throughout the floor, using space more effectively etc. We then proceeded to do a 10 minute presentation on the task and we all agreed to speak about one topic each.

After the group interview we were them all taken for our 1:1 interview, which I was told not to worry about because they have already made their dicision based on the group task!
    Anyway, I was asked the generic interview questions, first started off by telling them about myself. Was then asked when have I gone above and beyond for a customer, When I made a bad choice and how I corrected it, what I think good customer service is etc.
    I think the whole group interview is a complete waste of time, I think it is so unfair for people who are more shy than others. I have so much experience in visual merchandising, yet could not get a word in edgeways due to other ladies in my group constantly speaking over me all the time.
    That was my first group interview and it will defiantly be my last.

Interview Questions

• When have you made a bad dicision in life and how have you corrected it?   Answer Question

Visual Merchandising Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cardiff, Wales (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at John Lewis & Partners (Cardiff, Wales (UK)) in October 2015.

Interview

I had to do a presentation on current visual merchandising trends. I found the interviewers really friendly and welcoming, the type of people you'd like to work with. The whole process takes a while as the HQ takes it time to review your offer and everything is based on online communication.

Interview Questions

• Working in a team
      Challenges while managing a team / Have you ever been a team leader   Answer Question