John Lewis Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

John Lewis Interview Questions

Updated 15 Jan, 2018

2.7

Selling Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at John Lewis in August-2017.

Interview

Had to complete two separate aptitude tests as part of the online application. You're prompted with different scenarios and you have to choose which solutions are best suited to the each scenario. Fairly simple stuff -- just common sense really. Take your time though.

They followed up my online application with a text message asking to come in for an interview. I had already looked at some of the recent interview reviews on Glassdoor, so I was expecting a group interview. There were 4 other applicants at the interview and we all sat down on one table. We were asked to come up with a guide for new selling assistants at John Lewis, which were:

- 5 ways to deliver good customer service.
    - 5 ways to handle a customer who is upset or angry.
    - 3 ways to enhance product knowledge.

I would suggest doing your research and come up with some solid points beforehand. Make yourself heard, but remember to listen and engage with other people in the group. I got the impression this was something they were looking at closely.

The group interview was followed up with a 1-on-1 interview. There were 5 questions. The first was tell me about yourself; the others were customer service based. The last question was just reiterating what you had already contributed to the group. Overall, a really positive experience as it was quite challenging and rewarding in the end.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself.   1 Answer
    • How would you make a customer feel welcome in the store?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time you offered good customer service.   1 Answer

Retail Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at John Lewis (London, England (UK)).

Interview

computer assessment on values and personality test. Basic numeracy assessment on PC. Interview with panel, presentation required and assessment centre day. Held at store, included team task and selling approach presentation.

Selling Support Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at John Lewis.

Interview

Very simple and straightforward. We were briefly asked why we wanted the job and to describe ourselves. We were then given a group task to discuss the order in which we would complete a list of tasks. Finally we were asked to individually answer some situational based question.

Interview Questions

• An interesting fact about yourself.
      Group task of prioritising your typical daily tasks.   Answer Question

Selling Partner Interview

Interview

Competency based interview initially immediately followed by group discussion where they are looking at how you work in a team - need to show you take other people's opinions into account

Interview Questions

• Time you have delivered good customer service   1 Answer

Temporary Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at John Lewis.

Interview

Consisted of a group exercise monitored closely by a senior Partner to come up with a priority action list from fictional task scenario. This was followed up by an individual assessment - A series of 3 scenarios asking how you would deal with certain situations. There is prep time to come up with your answers, and then explain them one-to-one with one of the senior partners interviewing.

Selling and Service Partner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at John Lewis (London, England (UK)) in December-2017.

Interview

Applied online by filling out three questions: 1). Why John Lewis? 2). What experience do you bring to the role? 3). What would good performance look like in this role? Then I selected a date and time for the interview from around five slots. I was told to prepare for a group discussion and a one-to-one customer interaction. There was no one-to-one interview with questions.

On the day, there were around twenty others. At first you fill in a form with your name and availability. Then everyone is escorted to a room and split into groups of five. Your group sits at a table with an assessor. JL hiring team give a presentation about JL and then a task is given to the groups. The task was to think of three events that JL could do at a new store within the first six months of opening. You have 15 minutes to talk and presents your ideas.

After that, you have a one-to-one role-play. You have five minutes to plan what to ask an indecisive customer. After those five minutes you have to act it out. Then you are given a product sheet so you can recommend a product to a customer. You prepare for five minutes again then you act out the selling process.

There were no situational judgement tests or anything else. This was for a new store so the bar may have been set lower. I got declined. At least it was a quick reply.

Interview Questions

• Plan three events that a new John Lewis store could hold to attract customers to the store within the first six months of its opening.   Answer Question

Selling Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Interview

Really straightforward interview process, it was a group interview, with me and 5 other people. Had to do a group activity which took around 20 minutes and an individual activity which took around 20 minutes

Section Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at John Lewis (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Assessment center where we first had to stand up and speak about ourselves for 3 minute's. Then on to 3 team work based problem solving exercises. One about a zebra and water, one regarding what John lewis could learn from other retailers and one about prioritising

Catering Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at John Lewis.

Interview

No group task only one to one . Sat waiting for previous applicant to be interviewed . Nerve wracking wait when group task was expected . Friendly interviewer apologised for wait.

Christmas Temp Sales Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at John Lewis.

Interview

Good interview experience. Written and team assessment and facilitators were really helpful and nice. Only 60 minutes. Very relaxed atmosphere, wasn't intense at all. Simple assessment process. About 16 people at the assessment and we were split into groups of 4.

Interview Questions

• Discuss with a team to prioritise a list of tasks as part of your role.   Answer Question
    • Written assessment. Writing down how you would go about solving some hypothetical scenarios at work.   Answer Question