John Lewis Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

John Lewis Interview Questions

Updated 19 Oct, 2017

2.7

Selling Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at John Lewis in August-2017.

Interview

Had to complete two separate aptitude tests as part of the online application. You're prompted with different scenarios and you have to choose which solutions are best suited to the each scenario. Fairly simple stuff -- just common sense really. Take your time though.

They followed up my online application with a text message asking to come in for an interview. I had already looked at some of the recent interview reviews on Glassdoor, so I was expecting a group interview. There were 4 other applicants at the interview and we all sat down on one table. We were asked to come up with a guide for new selling assistants at John Lewis, which were:

- 5 ways to deliver good customer service.
    - 5 ways to handle a customer who is upset or angry.
    - 3 ways to enhance product knowledge.

I would suggest doing your research and come up with some solid points beforehand. Make yourself heard, but remember to listen and engage with other people in the group. I got the impression this was something they were looking at closely.

The group interview was followed up with a 1-on-1 interview. There were 5 questions. The first was tell me about yourself; the others were customer service based. The last question was just reiterating what you had already contributed to the group. Overall, a really positive experience as it was quite challenging and rewarding in the end.

Temporary Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at John Lewis.

Interview

First I had to complete an online application, then I had to attend a group interview, there were about 20 people there, but we were split into smaller groups of about 6-8 people.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you have had to deal with a difficult customer?   Answer Question

Christmas Temporary Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peterborough, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at John Lewis (Peterborough, England (UK)) in October-2017.

Interview

Did an online questionnaire and then was asked to attend an assessment day. You had to pick a slot out of around two weeks given. Excellent process as for a lot of people it is hard to get the time off otherwise.

Interview Questions

• No one on one interviews. Arrived and you were placed in groups of 5 and as a group you needed to decide an action plan to the scenarios given. Then you needed to complete 20min individual assessment which had three questions.   1 Answer

Catering Assistant Interview

Interview

Group activity where we matched peoples needs to the food options available to them. Followed by an individual interview asking about 5-7 questions where you always had to give an example.

Interview Questions

• tell me about yourself (snap shot of you -what you are doing atm etc)   Answer Question
    • give an example in school or work where you have overcome a difficult situation and what was that situation?   Answer Question
    • give an example when you have taught someone how to do something?   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at John Lewis (Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)).

Interview

With five other people, we had a case study and as a group we had to choose the best product and 'sell' it
    Individual interview - why John Lewis etc.

Selling Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at John Lewis (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Very easy going interview, I had a quick 1 to 1 interview, with the normal previous work questions, and then a group interview where as a team we answered 3 questions

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you have taught another staff member something?   Answer Question
    • Group assessment; Name 5 ways to deliver good customer service? 5 ways to deal with complaint? 3 ways to learn product knowledge?   Answer Question
    • Name a time you have helped a customer   Answer Question
    • How do you deliver good customer service   Answer Question

Stock Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at John Lewis in September-2017.

Interview

Completed the initial tasks online (situational tests etc). I was then offered an interview which I was told was a group task and then an individual task. On the day I got there and there was 5 of us in total. We went upstairs into a room and was told a bit more about the role.

GROUP TASK
    We were given a scenario where we had a long task list and various customers were approaching us, we had 5 minutes to ourselves to make notes on it and then as a group we had to list the most important tasks to the least. We had 2 assessors on this task watching us and making notes so make sure you contribute, they are looking to see how you work in a group, but don't talk over other people.

INDIVIDUAL TASK
    We were given an answer sheet and a booklet which had 3 scenarios in and we had 20 minutes to write up individually how we'd act in the scenario. I have written the scenarios below, please bare in mind they weren't written exactly like that, but that was the gist of the question!

There was no 1 on 1 interview which I was surprised about. Maybe this is because it's a Christmas Temp job? Who knows. Very easy interview.

Interview Questions

• You are working on the click and collect till when a customer approaches you and says she has recieved an email saying her order is ready to be collected, you check the stock room and you cannot find the order, how do you resolve this?   Answer Question
    • The sales team in the linen range approach you and they are not hitting their sales targets. You know the popular 'egyptian bed linen' has low availability at the moment. As a stock Replenishment assistant, how do you ensure the sales team hit their sales targets?   Answer Question
    • You are in the stock room when you come up with a more efficient way of doing things. You haven't told anyone yet about your idea. How do you go about doing this?   Answer Question

Seasonal Selling Assistant (Temporary) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stratford, London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at John Lewis (Stratford, London, England (UK)) in September-2017.

Interview

The assessment centre consisted of a group activity and an individual one. The group activity was to read a scenario, for example, it's 2028 and a hot summers day in a state of the art John Lewis/Waitrose store. Then there were a list of tasks that had to be taken care of.

1) A three year old boy has gone missing
    2) The cafe is short staffed at peak time
    3) Sam, is planning a party for many guests and needs help shopping
    4) A women needs help with a dress
    5) The use-by dates on gift foods needs checking

You are given 20 minutes in your group of 5-6 to decide how to handle the situation. The assessor wants to see how you interact and want to see you voice your opinion and also listen. They are looking for initiative and someone who values customer service. Don't just sit and listen.

The individual exercise was to answer three easy questions like " X is just about to buy a coffee machine and you know the coffee machine meets all their needs, what could you say to the customer to persuade them to buy the machine from John Lewis" Here they want you to say what services John Lewis can offer such as 2 years guarantee etc.

Another question was "A customer ordered a plate and has been waiting very long for it to come in but you find the plate is broken and know the customer has been waiting ages and will be upset, what's the best course of action and what you going to do next"

Shockingly there was no 1-to-1 interview.

I got the job offer 11 days later.

This is my way of giving back to Glassdoor. Hope this helps and best of luck guys.

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at John Lewis (Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)) in September-2017.

Interview

First an online assessment, with what-must-do and what mustn't-do in the store as a partner, in order to identify if your behaviour represents the values of the group.
    The interview was also an assessment exercise. In groups of three, we received a briefing describing a situation at a store and we should discuss in each order the shop assistant should execute her/his tasks and why. This part of the assessment was closely observed by a John Lewis team member.
    The second part of the assessment was individual, as we received three situations that may occur in a store and we should explain how we would solve these situations. Quite common sense and somehow similar to the online assessment.
    The interview was held at Welwyn Garden City, UK.

Seasonal Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chelmsford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at John Lewis (Chelmsford, England (UK)) in September-2017.

Interview

A lengthy online questionnaire split into three category's. I was then emailed with an offer to book an interview/group assessment slot. Managed to book the next day. There were around 10 of us. We had 20 minutes to answer 3 questions individually on certain scenarios and then given a group task. It was really relaxed and informal. I enjoyed it. (Awaiting an offer or a decline).

Interview Questions

• If someone came to you in the fashion department and said they were looking for an outfit for an event, how would you help them and how could you encourage them to visit different departments of the store?   Answer Question