Illumina Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

Illumina Interview Questions

Interviews at Illumina

3.1

Associate Director Interview

Application

The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Illumina.

Interview

Rude and unprofessional interviewers, seemed dismissive and not interested in really getting to know me. It also took nearly 2 months to be reimbursed for expenses. Overall, it left a poor impression of the potential work environment and I would not recommend pursuing a role here.

Interview Questions

• Standard behavioral questions.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Illumina (San Diego, CA (US)) in April 2016.

Interview

A phone screen was arranged the day after I applied. Two onsite interviews scheduled straight away. They were one week apart. An offer was made two days following the last interview.
    The Talent Acquisition team was extremely professional, responsive and accommodating. It was a wonderful experience.

Interview Questions

• Why should we not hire you?   2 Answers
    • What was the last development book you read?   2 Answers
    • Why are you interested in this position?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Illumina (San Diego, CA (US)) in April 2018.

Interview

Applied, got an email 2 weeks later asking for a type of phone screen interview. I say 'type of' because it wasn't through the phone, but rather you record yourself answering questions that are predetermined. I didn't think it was as accurate a measure of an applicant as you get through a phone interview, because my answers felt rushed and awkward.

It took one month before someone finally emailed me with a rejection letter. It would have been nice if there had been more transparency as to what they were doing all of that time before the rejection. The hiring manager never replied to my communications after that as well. Overall, more communication between HR/hiring manager and the applicant would have been nicer and would have felt more respectful to the candidate.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had conflict in your job and how you resolved it.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Illumina (San Diego, CA (US)) in November 2018.

Interview

Step 1: completed the recorded video interview with the standard 9 questions. Only 15 minutes of answer time, however, the time to practice, get the setting correct and with the prep time for each question, the actual interview time was closer to 45 minutes.
    Step 2: phone interview, set up three weeks out, for 30 minutes, actual was 60 minutes. No followup ever.

Interview Questions

• Describe a challenge with direct reports who do not communicate when they have a problem.   2 Answers

Associate Director Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Illumina.

Interview

The most backward low rent recruiting team I’ve ever encountered. They are poor at interviews, poor at following up and great at ghosting candidates. If this is how Illumina shows it’s stuff to candidates, then I can’t imagine what kind of horror show is going on inside the company. I won’t be wasting my time ever again with this unprofessional bunch.

Audit Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Illumina (San Diego, CA (US)).

Interview

Spoke with hiring manager and a mutual fit was apparent. Followed up with HR who was rudely short in temper and got aggravated when asked questions about the role and structure of the team, package details, etc. Felt as if it was my privilege just to be speaking to Illumina HR. Needless to say, this ended shortly after the HR call. My advise is to proceed with caution HR and focus on hiring manager/team. Good luck

Interview Questions

• Typical technical and experience questions with questions about fit within organization and long term plans.   1 Answer

Lead Generation Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Illumina (San Diego, CA (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

There was a phone screening with a recruiter, a phone interview with a manager, 6 1/1 interviews, and then a group activity with the other candidates. The questions were a mix of behavioral, technical, and experience-based questions.

Interview Questions

• There were lots of technical questions regarding genetics and their technology.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Illumina (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

First, there was a digital interview where I was asked normal behavioral questions. Next, I moved on to a phone interview with one of the hiring managers. He was a software engineer, but he mostly deals with high-level design and architecture for the projects his team works on. I mostly spoke with him and asked questions. He only asked me two questions at the end. What was my availability and what is my strongest programming language? I am still in the process at the moment.

Interview Questions

• Why Illumina? and What makes you better than other candidates?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Illumina (New York, NY (US)) in June 2016.

Interview

Onsite interview took me 1 hour in total. There are two group of people interviewing me, each of section is 30 minutes. Since it's was first round, the questions are relatively easy. Most of them are some general questions, and some of them are technical questions. Technical questions are about server side programming, and some questions are about database.

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Illumina (San Diego, CA (US)) in October 2016.

Interview

Process was rather quick. I was submitted on a Thursday and by Friday they wanted to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview consisted of OOD questions and then questions about C# and the .NET framework. I then had an on-site interview which consisted of two 1-hour whiteboard interviews with two different people in each interview.

Interview Questions

• Implement a queue using two stacks.   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.