Interview Question

Operations Manager Interview

Amazon

If I handed you a rubiks cube and told you that it had to be solved by tomorrow, how would you respond?

AnswerAdd Tags

Interview Answers

15 Answers

Such questions are really stupid IMHO and I feel like punching the interviewer for asking crap like this. I don't think such questions prove anything. A person can be really good at handling situations but not respond likewise and a pretentious person can do very well in such cases but do a horrible job when hired. Please interviewers stop with such questions!

hmm on

If I were asked this question I would say, "You'll have it today". How you do it isn't too important, there are literally a million ways to "solve" the rubiks cube they're handing you, it's not a cube, it's any problem they need solved, just get it done as soon as you can, wouldn't you like it if you asked someone to do something & they went above & beyond? Whether it's an inter-office request or anything else, you are always either someone's customer or vendor & this is called "giving excellent customer service". This question is begging for Excellent Customer Service.

Novo on

Anyone that asks a question of this nature is looking for a typical, corporate behind kissing answer. personally I was much more impressed with your honest answer than I would be by someone, whose nature and work ability I have no idea about, answering like someone else did on this with "You'll have it today." You could have answered with that and have not the first clue about "customer service", because it is just a brown nosing answer. To me, a good answer is honest and forthright, and I never want to just hear what the interviewee thinks I want to hear.

Monkeyman on

This is a variable question. The interviewer is not looking for a specific answer to the Rubix cube. They are determining your ability to respond given a task that to some may be difficult, while others it may seem mundane. Here is an open ended and safe answer. The task is important, but also know that as important as it is, the problem may not have a simple and fast solution. “We will pool our resources to find a solution for you as soon as possible and do our best to have that to you within the required timeframe.”

Anonymous on

Figure out a plan to solve it. What are we trying to solve, why are we trying to solve it, what’s the benefit and risk of solving it and for whom!

Anonymous on

I would either solve it in front of him in about a minute and twenty seconds, or give it to the nearest 12 year old to solve it for me in a faster time :) next question?

Anonymous on

I can solve and give it to you

Anonymous on

If you take a look at the question the interviewer was not asking how you would solve it but how you would respond. I like the honest answer over the "you will have it today" but it seems like I will do my best or I will have it ready for you tomorrow works in this scenario. If he wants you to elaborate on how, then you can provide additional details.

Anonymous on

"I am not very proficient in solving Rubiks cubes, but I am aware that there are many strategies for this. I'll start researching now and have it for you tomorrow."

Anonymous on

I would take it home and youtube how to solve it and bring it back solved.

Zach on

I will get someone on it right away.

Slomoshn on

If it was unscrambled, I'd leave it and hand it back the next day. And say I did as such.

Mary on

Tomorrow? I can give you in 30mins tops. I will look it up on internet. Amazon is built on internet. Jeff Bezos himself says there are so many things internet can do, helping solve rubic cubes won't be that hard.

Think on

My first question to them would be, "Are you serious?"...LOL... my NEXT question would be, "How would YOU answer that question yourself?"...and MY answer would be, "I consider myself to be a very smart person...but a genius I am not; and I believe that only a genius with a very high IQ level in solving cubed-like puzzles...would be the ONLY person or persons on this earth that could solve a rubix cube and get it to you by tomorrow without peeling the stickers off, or removing the cubes and placing them back on the cube in order."

Anonymous on

I got the feeling that my answer wasn't the one they were hoping to hear, as I answered that I would gather a team to see if anyone had insight or expertise to solve it, and that if given an unrealistic time frame to solve some problem of such complexity I would shoot back to the leaders in charge of the project that it WAS unrealistic. I think they were looking for me to say that I would solve the problem at all costs.

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.