Hudson's Bay Company Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

Updated 9 Apr, 2018

2.4

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Hudson's Bay Company (Montreal, QC).

Interview

l'entretien s'est fait en groupe. Nous étions neuf candidats autour d'une table avec deux personnes des ressources humaines qui nous posent des questions (quatre ou cinq questions au total). On réponds chacun notre tour. L'ambiance était décontractée. l'entretien a duré entre 30 et 35 minutes.
    J'ai une réponse positive dans la semaine qui a suivi.

Program Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Hudson's Bay Company.

Interview

Phone screen and then video recording of yourself answering questions. One only has 30 seconds to read and think about the question before the timer begins to answer. Very awkward and impersonal interview process.

Web Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hudson's Bay Company.

Interview

First, there was a screening round with HR, next was a video call with a Digital Manager.
    After that, they sent a case study which I was asked to present to the team. But they never got back as to when I could present it, even after multiple attempts trying to contact them.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Hudson's Bay Company (New York, NY (US)) in January-2018.

Interview

Certainly not the worst interview I'd experienced, but I wouldn't call it professional.
    1. When I was notified of the phone interview, HR bcced me and didn't address my name.
    2. I appreciated that they told me the interviewers' names and titles before the second interview. But they changed it on-site.
    3. All interviewers were obsessed with taking notes (every sentence you said). Limited reaction and eye contact.
    4. Got the rejection letter from a different banner.
    Very structured interviews. No tricky or weird questions. Overall, candidate experience was not good.

Interview Questions

• basic behavioral questions like where do you see yourself in five years   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hudson's Bay Company (New York, NY (US)) in December-2017.

Interview

HR reached out to me via LinkedIn and scheduled a phone interview. Brief and typical call with HR led to a Skype interview with another manager. Skype session led to a phone call with a VP. Call with VP lead to an in-person with another manager. Everyone I spoke to was very nice and I felt extremely comfortable during the entire process. All interviews went very well (I thought!) I mean, they kept calling me back, right? Until they didn’t.... they wanted to fill the position rather quickly, so I was surprised when I didn’t hear back a couple of weeks after my last interview. I contacted HR on two different occasions and was told both times that things were going on and they were not able to discuss and make a decision yet. My third and final attempt at some feedback left me with more questions than answers - they ghosted me! Very unprofessional. I dedicated a lot of time to them and I did not even get a cookie cutter, copy and pasted rejection email in return. Oh well!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your current role and how you contributed to the current company...   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hudson's Bay Company (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

wonderful - everyone I met with was extremely professional and informative. the position was moved to a different location within the company, leading me to decline, but I enjoyed each person I interviewed with.

Digital Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hudson's Bay Company (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

I had a 30 min, rather positive meeting with the recruiter, asked for salary requirements and was happy with what I asked for. He wanted me to come back in and speak to VP and Director within a week. Showed me the beautiful office space and said they'd get in touch with possible meeting times. Never got back in touch, I tried contacting them and did not receive a reply.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your background and why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hudson's Bay Company (New York, NY (US)) in May-2017.

Interview

The interview process was positive.

The recruiter (internal) was friendly and seemed to be an advocate for me, after answered several questions regarding my background and interests.

The first step was a technical screening, which required knowledge of http requests, html, css, and javascript, but the screening was more of pair programming than an interview. This made the process smooth and shows the companies interest in a collaborative work environment. While the screening required technical skill, the task seemed to also be testing one's ability to play nicely.

Upon passing the screening, I was scheduled for an onsite interview. What I didn't realize is that this would be a three hour marathon of a series of interviews with three different groups. While that didn't bother me too much, I was not prepared for the length of the ordeal and was pretty mentally exhausted by the end.

It was the final interview that I bombed. I may still have struggled a bit at that point, but I would have done much better had I not been drained by that point in the day. Perhaps even having a cup of coffee at some point in the process would have helped.

Overall, the entire interview process revealed a company that was trying to do well by its developers and had a good culture.

However, I was concerned by one of the answers I received to my question "if you had a qualified friend who wanted to work here, would you recommend this company to them?" The response I received was interesting - the person kept muddling along about how every company is different and for some the culture is great and other's its not. I don't know about you, but if I worked at a great company, I'm looking for good devs I know to get a position there.

The problem came after the interview - silence. No response from nobody. I reached out via email, phone, linkedin, nothing.

Finally, after 6 weeks, one person on linked in was just checking up on me, he liked me but the team went another direction. Turns out the company went through a period of layoffs in between my interview and his message to me.

Finally, if you are self-taught or went through a bootcamp, many of the interview questions revolved around how the browser and javascript engine work when encountering various types of code. I felt very unprepared for these questions, even though I am confident in my ability to actually code. I was told my javascript skills were impressive (though my css was shaky, which it was). If you are a bootcamp or self-taught dev and you have been dependent on libraries and frameworks for css or JS, be sure to learn pure css and pure JS, it will help you tremendously in interview processes like these.

Interview Questions

• Using JavaScript, create a Deck of cards for playing a game. Walk through how you would create the deck. Afterwards, I was asked to create a function for shuffling the cards.   Answer Question
    • Create a function in JavaScript that replicates what the built-in array method `.map()` does.   Answer Question
    • What are some ways to optimize performance when styling a page with CSS?   Answer Question
    • Explain why and when you might use SASS instead of CSS or, alternately, CSS instead of SASS?   Answer Question

Marketing Management Interview

Interview

I was excited to hear that Gilt wanted to speak to me regarding an opportunity. Made myself conveniently available to chat over the phone within the 24 hour time period they provided. However, HR never called at our scheduled time. I emailed them after waiting 15 minutes and still heard nothing. Because this call was planned for a Friday, I reached out again that following Monday. HR responded to this email, apologized, and rescheduled. They simply ignored the email I sent Friday regarding the missed phone interview. So, we rescheduled.

On the day of our rescheduled phone interview, HR reached out saying their availability changed and they could only do that morning. Sadly I was sitting in a meeting and couldn't take the call. HR said Monday would work. I emailed her to confirm that Monday was open for me and requested a time. Never heard back. I followed up one last time and still have heard nothing.

I don't blame the branded company I applied to for this mishap as they are tied to HBC. I totally get that things pop up. It's the lack of response that made me frustrated. Sadly, the recruiter claimed to be committed to bringing in top talent to the organization. Well, that person certainly fooled me.

Vice President Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Hudson's Bay Company (New York, NY (US)) in April-2017.

Interview

Two calls with a recruiter, one call with Head of HR and two meetings with SVP. Questions were routine for the position. Company didn't follow through regarding final decision. In fact I was informed by a recruiter. When I contacted the company, they confirmed position had been filled, but did not apologize for how the matter was handled.