HiMama Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

HiMama Interview Questions

Interviews at HiMama

2.9

Ruby On Rails Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HiMama in September 2019.

Interview

My experience was quite similar as the previous Backend Engineer review. First stage, a 30 mins phone call with their internal recruiter who asked me to complete the clock code challenge. Spent the weekend doing it, pushed to Github and after a few days they send me a reject email with no further feedback.

I was shocked to see in the Github statistics for the repo where I pushed my code that they didn't even clone the repo, neither visit any of the source files. So unprofessional. They should better reject me after the first call and all would be ok. Probably never will apply here again.

Backend Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HiMama in August 2019.

Interview

First call was with one of the recruiter followed by a coding challenge. I did my challenge within given time frame and they took two weeks only to say No. I do not have any problem with that, the only problem when I asked for feedback they ghosted. I wasted my weekend for their challenge. It is not professional of them to treat candidates like this. The challenge is below

Interview Questions

• Using any MVC, build a basic a clock-in/out
      The app should do the following:
      ● Present a clock-in/out screen that will:
      ○ Allow a user to enter their name or log in
      ○ Allow the user to clock either in or out
      ○ Upon clock event, store this information
      ● Provide a list of all clock events with logged information   Answer Question

Interview

First phone interview with HR, then in person interview with two managers, then a half day cold-calling interview which I was offered a job after. Three step process, starts out easy and gets more difficult with each step.

Interview Questions

• Half day cold calling: jump right into conversations on the phone, lots of mock calling preparation too.   Answer Question

Ruby On Rails Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at HiMama in October 2019.

Interview

My experience was very similar to the one described by the last two developer reviews. Started with a brief phone call with their HR staff, the lady was friendly and informative. After that I was sent the clock in/out app challenge.
    I spent hours coding the challenge, sent it and, a week later, after inquiring about an update, received an email saying they decided not to go forward.
    I also share the feeling that they didn’t even read the code, as expressed by another reviewer. A feedback I have is: consider either reviewing the technical interview process not to have devs spending more than two hours to do a code challenge, or if you’d like to keep the challenge as is, maybe allow a quick discussion with them if you’re not pleased with the solution or just give them the real feedback instead of just saying you’re not moving forward (In my case I followed up asking for feedback, which they did reply, but through recruiter). Thanks.

Junior Customer Success Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at HiMama (Toronto, ON) in September 2019.

Interview

A standard phone screening interview followed by an in person interview with the director of customer success. I didn't interview well and knew it at the time but they were very friendly. The process took quite a while but they did keep in touch throughout.

Back End Software Engineer Interview

Application

Interview

The process took no more than two weeks. There were 4 main stages of the interview: phone screening with a hiring manager, a test quiz that you should complete for a limited time but it is more than enough time to do it. Based on completed quiz there was an overview-call to discuss the completed task, which included several additional quizzes. And the final step is to talk with the company's leading developers about your previous experience, and some approaches you would choose for specific cases. In general I felt comfortable throughout the process, I was kept informed of all the results and the upcoming stages. I highly recommend to try yourself on one of the open positions in this company,

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HiMama (Toronto, ON).

Interview

Pre-screen phone interview with HR. I was asked a lot of good questions about background experience. Followed up by an epic assignment with a 48 hour deadline. This was a bit backwards considering how involved the assignment was. No feedback was given. But, it was followed up by an in-person "technical" interview with the hiring manager - asked very textbooky questions about what you would do in a scenario. Then another, longer in-person interview with the hiring manager. Sidenote: Not the place for you if you are allergic to Dogs. There are +10 in the office!

Junior Client Success Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at HiMama in May 2019.

Interview

Contacted HiMama with my resume and cover letter, received a reply about 2 weeks after. Scheduled a 10 min screening call with the hiring manager. I think they forgot about the call as I had to send an email when they didn’t call at the scheduled time. Felt a bit rushed because of that. Call went well, good energy on the other end, asked typical questions (“tell me about yourself” types of questions), and said they would like to have me in for an in person interview the following week. I was told I would hear back from them by Monday to coordinate schedules with the CEO (phone call was the Friday before). Monday comes, nothing. Tuesday, nothing. The whole week passed with no response despite my efforts to reach out and try to stay in the loop. A week and a half later, received one of those template rejections. My thoughts: do not tell your candidates you will schedule an in person interview and not follow up with that. It’s highly unprofessional to present an advance in the hiring process and then retract that offer with no explanation. Will likely not be applying to this company in the future. It’s a shame as I truly love what they do, but yet again I feel as though I wasted time waiting for a response that was never going to happen.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HiMama (Toronto, ON) in May 2019.

Interview

The process was quite long, about 10 weeks I was contacted about a week after I sent in the application, and was set up for a call with the CTO a couple of days later for a short screening call. I was told that they were designing a take-home assignment and I should hear back from them in the next week. However I did not hear back from them for another two weeks until I reached out to see whether I am still in the process. The pleasant HR assured me that I will receive the assignment soon. It took another two weeks to hear from them again about the assignment.

Take-home assignment are common nowadays but what took me back a was that they put a 24-hour limit on the assignment. You can choose the date and time to receive the assignment and it is due the same time next day. The assignment itself may not take more than a few hours, however the time limit is essentially biased against people single parents or people who are primary caretakers of young children or elderly family members, the majority of which are women. What if the children happen to be sick and need constant care? I was surprised because on their website Himama claims to be "made up of a group of committed fathers, mothers, daughters, sons, uncles and aunts" and the best daycare app for parents, so you would think they would be more aware and sensitive of parents' needs. This time limit is favoring those who have no dependents or do not currently hold a full-time job. I want to give them the benefit of the doubt that this limit is intended to be "fair", but has unintended consequences that they may not be aware of.

Luckily my partner was able to take care of our young toddler so I can spend some time on the assignment, and I got to an in-person interview afterwards. The in-person interview took about an hour where I met two people on the team. The questions were given a bit hesitantly and somewhat vague, I felt that they were not too sure what or who they are looking for, but perhaps that is expected with a young company looking for their first PM. I had to reach out to them again to get a response regarding the timeline and final decision.

Overall I think the process could be shorter and recruiters can be more responsive, and they should drop the time limit on the assignment to be true to what they claim to be.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HiMama.

Interview

Phone, Skype, in person and half day in office. Check out processes and culture. Really positive experience overall and the on spot pitch was a little intimidating but fun over all

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.