GuruLink Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

3.3

Interviews for Top Jobs at GuruLink

Recruitment Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at GuruLink (Toronto, ON).

Interview

I found it hard to believe that an organization can ask such intrusive and offensive questions and not hold themselves to any employment standards act whatsoever.

My first meeting with them was very intimidating. I only met with Senior individuals and the owners. All of them were very direct, aggressive,
    misleading and deceptive. They sold me on a highly profitable opportunity that wasn't realistic for all. This was definitely a different recruiting environment and interview process that I have seen.

For instance; they asked about my age and then described their environment as a FRAT house which is mainly male dominant, which they made clear this was something that wasn't going to change and that they were proud of.

All 3 in-person interviews were held inside this meeting room which is separate from the actual work space. They did not once show or invite me to see the work space. I thoroughly believe if I were to have seen the work environment before hand, I would have reconsidered the offer. The environment had beers cans, uncleaned dishes, dirty dusty desk and on a daily basis individuals were rolling joints(marijuana) and constantly smoking cigarettes on the patio.

Overall, all 3 interviews took a span of 3 months, which wasn't as great of a candidate experience in itself.

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at GuruLink (Toronto, ON) in January 2015.

Interview

Everyone asks you questions. They wait for you to respond to the questions. They listen to your answers and make judgements on if you would be a good fit. Is this not how all interview processes work?

IT Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at GuruLink (Toronto, ON) in April 2014.

Interview

There was no live communication, was sent a long skills questionnaire that could have been done over the phone. Once I met with he team, met with senior account manager first, who kept referring to the rest of the team as " the guys". When I met with the two owners Brad and Drew, they were really friendly and very honest. They described their environment as " aggressive" and "like a frat house", they sold their company as a " work hard play hard" kind of place, where " everyone will get made fun of equally". They dont want women to work there, if you are a woman and you interview with them they will sell the company to you in the most unappealing way possible. This company is a total boys club and they want to keep it that way. They said that women have no been able to last at their company because they can not take hearing " no" in a aggressive sales environment. This company does not power Employment standards act , whatsoever.

Interview Questions

• They asked what a PMO does, and what technical languages I could name, what is a database.   Answer Question

GuruLink Response

Sep. 15, 2014 – Managing Director

Thanks for sharing your experience, we’re sorry to hear it was a negative one. I could totally see one of us slipping up and saying “the guys” by accident. Our sincere apologies if that happened as I can certainly see how that would not be well-received. Unfortunately right now we do have a heavily male-dominated environment and only one female recruiter in the office (as well as two operations staff who are our right and left hands). One thing I would like to clarify though is that we absolutely do want to hire more females, and in fact have just recently hired another female. Heck, if we didn’t want to we wouldn’t interview them :). We do sadly get far fewer female applicants though, and we would certainly love to see that change.

We do like to be candid about our environment though as we believe there has to be a culture match for both parties’ sake and we want people to know what they are getting into (14-15 men as a group can get a bit silly and be a bit overwhelming for some). Our candour had good intentions, perhaps poor execution.

A few other things I did want to address, that may also help give others an understanding of our environment:
    1. We definitely wouldn’t consider ourselves “aggressive”, and in fact generally like to take a softer, more consultative approach. It can be a bit of a grind at times though so being driven is key.
    2. In terms of a “frat house”...well, we’re not above a game of flip cup at an awards ceremony :).
    3. We are work hard, play hard -- it can be a stressful job at times, and we like to try to have some fun while doing it.
    4. We do like to tease one another, but all in good fun and nothing malicious. No one is off limits...including the founders.
    5. We have an extremely multicultural and accepting environment that would happily welcome more females.

We appreciate your feedback and will definitely be particularly careful about not referring to the team as “the guys” as that will undoubtedly not help us in demonstrating we want to hire females. Apologies again for that. Thanks.

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.