Interview Question

Systems Software Engineer Interview

-Santa Clara, CA

NVIDIA

Given a page size and a number, align the number with the nearest page. (Note: This was a phone interview question. The interviewer and I used an online document to share ideas about this problem.

Tags:technical, c, systems
AnswerAdd Tags

Interview Answers

7 Answers

I think that at the faster solution you mean int getAlignedValue_Fast(int pageSize, int valueToAlign) { return valueToAlign & ~(pageSize-1); } Note: There is a difference between !(pageSize-1) and ~(pageSize-1) ~(0x11) is 0xee !(0x11) is 0

The Dude on

I just wanted to point out that the "faster solution" only works if the pageSize is assumed to be a power of 2. For example, suppose pageSize = 10 (or 01010 in binary), and valueToAlign = 24 (or 11000 in binary), then the fast method would give 16, but it should be 20. Anyways, thanks for posting the question and solution.

observer on

@observer I see how the mask works out for the alignment, why it is works mathematically? Thanks

Cong on

@The Dude Good catch! I didn't think about that. (Fortunately, I didn't have to execute the code in the interview--I just typed it in a program similar to Google Docs.) Thanks!

original poster on

//naive solution: int getAlignedValue(int pageSize, int valueToAlign) { int index = valueToAlign/pageSize; return index * pageSize; } //faster solution: int getAlignedValue_Fast(int pageSize, int valueToAlign) { return valueToAlign & !(pageSize-1); }

Anonymous on

Have you tried using this website? www.rooftopslushie.com It says you can get career advice and interview prep info from Nvidia employees.

Anonymous on

The interviewer could be looking for some bit ops. But, the following one, works even page size isn't a power of 2. int mod = (value_to_align % page_size); value_to_align -= mod; if (mod > (page_size - mod)) { value_to_align += page_size; }

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.