General Motors (GM) Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

General Motors (GM) Interview Questions

Interviews at General Motors (GM)

1,379 Interview Reviews

2.8

1. Featured Interview

Digital Sculptor Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at General Motors (GM).

Interview

2 interviews usually. You present more than you get questions asked so know your area well. Having good portfolio is key to getting the position. Present professional and old work.

Assistante HSE Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gonesse (France)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at General Motors (GM) (Gonesse (France)) in March 2015.

Interview

Présentation du RH et du responsable HSE
    Présentation du cursus et des expériences en lien avec le domaine
    Questions techniques
    Questions sur la motivation et la personnalité
    telles que :

Communiquez vous de la même manière face à un opérateur et un directeur?

R : Non.
    Face à un opérateur, je suis plus à l'écoute et fait preuve de plus de curiosité car connaître le coeur de métier est primordial. Je fais aussi attention dans l'utilisation d'un vocabulaire moins technique (en ce qui concerne mon métier) car je ne veux pas le mettre mal à l'aise ou croire que je le prends de haut.
    Face à un directeur, je suis directe est concise. J'ai bien consciente qu'il a une charge de travail assez lourde et que son temps est précieux. Je peux me permettre d'utiliser un vocabulaire plus technique après avoir vérifié son aise sur ce sujet.

Visite du site

Interview Questions

• Communiquez vous de la même manière face à un opérateur et un directeur?   1 Answer

Associate Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at General Motors (GM) (Houston, TX (US)) in March 2013.

Interview

Two round interview process. Behavioral rounds, nothing technical. They mainly assess your thinking ability, if you can adapt to different environments, your role in the team, difficult situations you dealt with.

Interview Questions

• Did you ever take any decision against the team and did you succeed?   3 Answers

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at General Motors (GM) in February 2013.

Interview

Received interview through a campus career fair. Interviewed with two hiring managers(separately). We discussed my résumé, then they asked a few behavioral questions. Received an offer a week later.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to take risk.   1 Answer

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at General Motors (GM) in March 2013.

Interview

The hiring process consisted of 2 interviews. The first one was behavioral and the second one was technical. Many others did not take the technical interview if they came from a college in their recruiting list.

Interview Questions

• It was data base related. It was hard for me as my background is in computer engineering not computer science.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did not negotiate. I should have.

Associate Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at General Motors (GM) in October 2014.

Interview

I was recruited at campus recruiting. Went through a basic screen (non-technical). I made it to the interview and it was largely behavioral, but they did ask about project I had worked on and we discussed technical aspects. No random questions about beam bending or anything, just about what I had worked on and put on my resume. They also flew potential hires out to Michigan, which was honestly a lot of fun and very informative.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to describe a time that I had to publicly admit to making a mistake.   2 Answers

It was a really really good offer, but I wanted to stay in California.

Associate Software Developer Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at General Motors (GM) in November 2012.

Interview

I had two rounds of phone interviews. The first round, the interviewer was well-prepared, although the screening questions she asked were a bit odd.

The second round, the interviewer seemed rushed and was ill-prepared. There was no introduction (I didn't even know what he did at the company until I asked him at the end of the interview; yes, I had to ask him) and he didn't seem interested at all in my background. He asked a few SQL questions and a multithreaded question. The problem was he didn't understand much about multithreading. I gave a simple answer using synchronization and a counter, but he was surprisingly confused. Digging deeper it became clear that he had some canned question/answer and was looking for a solution that used wait() and notify() instead of sleep(), even though his solution wouldn't work.

One of the really strange issues was describing coding questions over the phone rather than using something like collabedit. I finished the interviews quickly and did very well, but they got back to me saying that while they were impressed, they were "moving forward with a select few candidates whose backgrounds are more closely aligned with our current needs". Overall, I can't help but wonder if I was simply used as interview training for their employees. The entire process took 3 days though, so I have to at least commend them for being so quick about it.

Interview Questions

• The interview questions themselves were rather odd. One was "what are the different scopes in Spring". Testing my ability to spout little-known facts isn't helpful to the process. A much better question would have been "what is Spring and why is it useful?" A solid engineer would be able to answer the second question, while anyone that can answer the first is simply good at memorizing things.   Answer Question

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at General Motors (GM).

Interview

I was interviewed on campus. It was two rounds with multiple behavioral questions. The questions were all about my past experiences. Each interview was about 6-8 questions with the interviewer taking notes.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to make a tough decision?   1 Answer

Associate Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pontiac, MI (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (GM) (Pontiac, MI (US)) in August 2013.

Interview

Applied online. Received a pre-screening phone call 1 week later. 5 days later I received a phone call to set up an interview for the following week. My interview travel was arranged within a couple of days. The interview was 3 on 1, took approximately 2 & 1/2 hours. I sent a thank you letter the next day. 3 weeks after my interview I received a call offering the position.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you had to give your boss bad news?   2 Answers

Negotiation

Asked for negotiations, but denied. Offer is still good.

Interview

Recruited during school, brought in for interview with executive leaders, offered job on the spot. They were ready to hire based on three years of design relationship building during school. Not sure of process beyond that.

Associate Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pontiac, MI (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (GM) (Pontiac, MI (US)) in August 2013.

Interview

Applied online to the job posting. One week later I received a call with basic questions regarding availability, citizenship status and other similar questions. A week after that I received another call to schedule the interview. It was a two-part behavioral interview with two different managers for each part. A small test was performed to check my understanding of some of the basic functions of the position: GD&T tests with conflicting tolerances (trick question, but very simple).

It was my first interview. I think my answers were relatively good (maybe missing the WOW! factor). It was my first time using the STAR system used by many employers today for the interview process. It could have gone better.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.