General Motors (GM) Interview Questions

Updated Dec 6, 2021

To filter interviews, or .
Found 2,206 of over 2,206.0 interviews

Interviews at General Motors (GM)

Positive68%
Recruiter8%
2.8
HardAverageEasy

General Motors (GM)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Motors (GM)

Interview

Applied online. HR reached out for initial phone screening. Got a HireVue (video recorded interview scheduled). After passing the HireVue round, a panel interview was scheduled. It took around 1.5 weeks but the HR finally extended and offer. Overall great experience working with HR and Hiring Managers through the interview process. The panel interview itself was challenging. All questions (HireVue & panel interview) were to be responded in a STAR based manner.

Interview Questions
  • (HireVue) Describe a time when you worked on a controversial design issue. What role did you play? What was the outcome?
    Answer Question
  • (HireVue) Describe a time when you/your team were about to miss (or did miss) a deliverable to the program team. What creative things did you do to recover? What role did you play? What was the outcome?
  • (HireVue) Describe a time when you were proactive in a situation and your efforts resulted in an positive outcome for the assignment/project.
  • Describe a time when you had to solve a issue by building a relationship in a tough situation?
  • Describe a time when you had to make a tough decision. What was the outcome of that decision?
  • Tell us about a time when you accepted your mistake.
  • Tell us about a time when a something went wrong with a design issue. What did you do?
  • Describe a time when you solved an issue by a collaborative effort.
  • Describe a time when you had to resolve a safety related issue.
  • Tell us about a time when you had to deal with an issue that caused confusion amongst the team. What was your role?
84 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (GM) (Atlanta, GA) in Oct 2021

Interview

Overall, my experience with the interview process was actually enjoyable and a good learning experience. The interviewers were not boring and they kept you on track and knew how to ask questions to get a good answer from you. They were all very nice and enjoyable to talk to. None of the recruiters I had were intimidating and all were very friendly! I submitted my application in early September 2021 and received an offer in mid October 2021. So, overall, the interview process took about a month. Please don't solely apply to GM as a for a job. You should be applying to at least a couple HUNDRED positions as well. I applied through GM's career site using HireVue. For the FIRST stage of the interview process, I had to record myself and answer the typical interview questions you would see on Google. They give you 2 chances to record your answer. You have enough time after the first recording to think about your answer and try again. After you completed your recordings, you take a little puzzle game. Basically, you match patterns and a couple of easy to hard addition/subtraction games. The SECOND stage of the interview process was the coding challenge. You are given 2 challenges to complete with about 45 mins for each challenge. The first coding challenge is extremely easy. If you're rusty on your coding, don't be tempted to look up the answers. Yes, there are answers to the coding challenge on Google but that's not the point. The point of the coding challenge is to see what YOUR thought process is like and how you went about doing it, not necessarily what the answer is. The second coding challenge is difficult. The THIRD stage of the interview process is the phone interview. You only get the phone interview if you did well in the first two stages. This is where you are asked about your background and experience and for them to get to know you as a person. Don't think of this part of the process as them finding what is right or wrong about you, but think of this phone call as a way to simply chat with someone. Talk normally! If the recruiter sees you're a good fit, then you will move on to the next interview process. For the FOURTH stage of the interview, you will talk with 2 people over a video conference using Microsoft Teams. You get to talk with 2 people for about an hour. Typically, the interview last 30 mins, but you SHOULD use the next 30 mins to ask questions you have about GM or your your role . This is where you should practice some interview questions too. People will get different questions on the interview so don't think that the questions you practiced will be asked. Personally, most of the questions I practiced for weren't asked. The questions I was asked were along the lines of "Tell me about yourself", "Talk about the time you were working in a team", "What would you do differently in that project if you had the chance", "What would you do if someone in that project was not performing well", "What is your thought process like", "What would you do if you had to speak up about something?" (This was part of one of GM's core values), "What would you do to convince someone of an alternate path to take". These weren't the questions asked verbatim, but rather what I vaguely remembered. The recruiters are very good at guiding you to an answer. If you're stumped on something, or you mention that you can't think of anything to fit that question, they will run through some examples they've heard and hopefully that will jog your memories about an example you can give. At the end of the interview, please ask questions. They WANT you to ask questions. If anything is "right" in the interview process, it is asking questions. Ask questions that GENUINELY interest you about the position, about GM, about anything. Lastly, if everything goes well, you should hear back with a phone call from someone telling you that you were selected for a position at GM. A summarized offer letter will be sent to you in an email the following week. So, I was called on Friday evening and received the summarized offer the next Friday evening. Then, you will get an official offer letter through Workday and from there, you can choose to accept or decline the offer.

Interview Questions
  • Can you tell me a little bit about yourself?
  • Talk about the time you were working in a team?
  • What would you do differently in that project if you had the chance?
  • What would you do if someone in that project was not performing well?
  • What would you do if you had to speak up about something (This was part of one of GM's core values)?
  • What would you do to convince someone of an alternate path to take?
  • What would you do if your project was not competed and the deadline was near?
  • How would you complete a project on time?
21 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I interviewed at General Motors (GM) (Charlotte, NC)

Interview

I was contacted about a role in HR, asked to apply and interview etc. I was completely ghosted when following up with the recruiter that contacted me. At least have the professional courtesy to respond to someone's email and not ignore them for weeks, only to send an auto reply when the role is filled with someone else. Very unprofessional.

Interview Questions
2 people found this interview helpful

General Motors (GM)

Application

I interviewed at General Motors (GM)

Interview

asked about passion and experience. The interview went well. I talked to manager and tech lead. they are supper nice people. They introduced me the plan that General Motors have for the next few years so it is a great opportunity.

Interview Questions
  • asked to talk about experience and following with questions for details.

General Motors (GM)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Motors (GM)

Interview

harsh. but you learn a lot from there. conservative. should be daunting but just show yourself. if it's your first time interview, get as many practices as you can. don't get artificial. be concise. show your passion.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

General Motors (GM)

Application

I interviewed at General Motors (GM)

Interview

There was one coding challenge, a quick fifteen-minute screening call, and a final behavioral, two-hour interview process with two employees that currently worked at GM. This took about a month and a half to go through.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

General Motors (GM)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Motors (GM)

Interview

I answered questions through a recording platform. It was extremely easy and there were a lot of questions asking about times I solved a problem. Haven't heard back yet but feel confident in my submission!

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Application

Interview

Primeiro passo foi gravar um vídeo respondendo a 5 perguntas (3 em português e 2 em inglês), em seguida entrevista com o RH e depois com a gerência (que lia as perguntas que me fazia). Infelizmente, em nenhuma das etapas foi dito exatamente o que eu teria que fazer, ficou apenas subentendido, e quando comecei a trabalhar não era o que eu pensei.

Interview Questions
1 person found this interview helpful

General Motors (GM)

Application

I interviewed at General Motors (GM)

Interview

On campus interview consisting of technical interview where I was able to chose from a set of different challenges to test my algorithmic thinking. After presenting a solution, interview continued to ask thought process and explore alternative solutions.

Interview Questions
  • Q: I don't recall the questions but for technical was very much related to knowledge of OOP and algorithms.

General Motors (GM)

Application

I interviewed at General Motors (GM)

Interview

Online coding assessment and then two back to back one hour virtual interviews. First part was more technical, the second was more behavioral. It was a pretty casual interview and felt more conversational.

Interview Questions
  • Describe your background and relevant experience for the position
Viewing 1 - 10 of 2,206 Interviews