FortuneBuilders Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

Interviews at FortuneBuilders

1 Interview Review

2.0

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at FortuneBuilders (San Diego, CA (US)) in November 2018.

Interview

I interviewed for a position as a Software Developer between November - December of 2018. The process easily took over a month, having multiple phone interviews, a take home coding test, and 2 in person interviews.

The phone interviews I had were actually very exciting and productive. Those I spoke to seemed to really match up with my philosophies on both work ethic and software development.

Afterwards I was given a take home coding project, which was fairly standard, a bit intensive on the amount of work involved considering how many interviews the entire process took.

Then had an in person interview with the Development team. It was somewhat annoying the interview was me being interviewed by 4+ people, but understandable. What turned me off of the position at this point was the Tech Lead and Project Manager both seemed to be pretty stuck up, and just didn't seem like fun people to work with. Once I was leaving that interview one of the other members walked me out and I asked him how he liked the company and how long he's been there. He said good things but mentioned he had only been there for a few months. At that point I looked up on linkedin members of their Engineering team, and they all have only been there for a few months including the Tech lead. That's when I started seeing red flags about turnover in this department.

Afterwards I was invited for a second in person interview with the Marketing team, which went well and the people involved were very personable.

Now initially when I started talking to this company I mentioned the Salary range I was looking for was 75k-80k. Once they came to me with an offer they only offered 70k, and their internal recruiter said to be "Yaknow the tech team wanted to offer 65k but they really liked you and I convinced them to offer 70k cause we'd really like you to come on board". If that were so, they would have made an offer in the range I initially thought I was interviewing for. He also mentioned that I should really make a decision soon so he could tell any potential other interviewees about their prospects. This rubbed me the wrong way as it made me feel rushed to make a decision on a lowball offer. Since I felt rushed, I initially accepted the offer. After a few days of thinking it over it was very clear to me I did not work at this company that seemed to have a cult like atmosphere, and seems to be very friendly up front, but the culture seems to be much more rude in person and in reality.

For the low salary and chance of working in an environment I wouldn't enjoy, I emailed back the internal recruiter mentioning that I had changed my mind and would be declining the offer, after thanking them for the opportunity. The recruiter never even replied to my message, which definitely made me feel like my decision not to work for them, was the correct decision.

Interview Questions

• How should you handle differing npm versions between projects?   1 Answer

FortuneBuilders Response

Mar. 11, 2019 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us around our interview process. We aim to make it an open, impactful, and engaging process which is why we have potential team members... More

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.