ExxonMobil Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

ExxonMobil Interview Questions

Updated 19 Jul, 2017

2.9

Chemical Engineering Co-op Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Raleigh, NC (US)) in October-2016.

Interview

ExxonMobil came to my school's career fair, so I stopped by their table and talked to a recruiter. After talking to her for a little while and giving her my resume, I was contacted for an on-campus interview the next day. In getting an on-campus interview, they look for at least a 3.7 GPA, relevant work experience, and leadership roles. I then had an on-campus interview that was all behavioral that went really well. From there, the guy I interviewed with said I should hear something by October. I was contacted about 3 weeks later via phone asking to set up a phone interview. The phone interview went well and we mostly just talked about experiences that were on my resume. I didn't hear anything for about another 2 weeks before getting the verbal offer over the phone, and then a written offer 2 weeks later.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you gave a presentation to management. Tell me about a time you did something that wasn't asked of you at work.   1 Answer

Data Science Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil in October-2016.

Interview

Initiated by recruiters at a career fair; signed up for an interview slot there. First interview was on campus then got contacted again to have one over the phone. Both were mostly behavioral, and the most technical questions would just refer to projects listed on resume.

Interview Questions

• How did you implement (insert project here) and why did you choose to do it this way?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever been in the situation where you've had to do the most of a group project?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spring, TX (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Spring, TX (US)) in October-2016.

Interview

Junior (peer) interviewer greeted me in the lobby. Hiring manager arrived fifteen minutes late. But both interviewers were aloof and distracted, and they spoke to each other (kidding around, essentially) in front of me, making me feel uncomfortable.

When the first interviewer asked where I'd parked, (in the garage indicated in the pre-interview email they'd sent) she continued, "Oh that's right, I got a notification when you entered the campus and I could see how long it took you to reach the garage." Why she shared this with me I don't know.

A good portion of the interview questions were closed-ended (so you would really want to drive all the way up here [12 miles] to work?) or worded so specifically that they were hard to relate to my experience.

Interview Questions

• [Interviewer's exact words] Describe a time when a direct customer was very angry, and how you solved their problem, resulting in a happy customer.   1 Answer

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX (US)) in October-2016.

Interview

I first filled out an application on Exxon Mobile's career website, very quick and easy. I was then contacted by an exxonmobile representative suggesting that they would like to conduct a preliminary interview with me at my college. I went to the interview, most of the questions they asked were behavioral, they also asked about some of the skills and experience I had represented on resume. After the structured part of the interview, I was asked to elaborate on some skills that may not have come up in the interview up to that point, but that should be highlighted.

I received a call the very next day suggesting that they would like to fly me down to their campus in Houston. The Houston interview was very similar to that of the initial interview, all behavioral based questions, except instead of one interview I had three, with managers under the same job function.

All in all a very nice process, one of the best I have been apart of, try to be yourself and you will do great.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me of a time that you did not agree with the current process of doing something at work, and what you did to resolve that problem.   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tuscaloosa, AL (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Tuscaloosa, AL (US)) in October-2016.

Interview

I applied through my university's career page. I heard back within a few days about an on campus interview. I thought the interview went well but didn't hear anything back. I emailed my interviewer inquiring how the process was going and got no response. Finally after a month, I got a very generic rejection email.

Interview Questions

• (Something like) Talk about a time someone went against what you said. What did you do about it?   Answer Question

Chemical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Columbus, OH (US)) in October-2016.

Interview

It was an hour long campus interview during a career fair at the university. They first had an information session which was very helpful for undergrad students, but not very helpful for grad students.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ExxonMobil in October-2016.

Interview

Gave a talk on campus. Took resumes after the talk. Shortlisted people for interview the next day based on resume. One hour long 1 on 1 interview. Turns out they didn't really have any positions open either, as they were in the midst of layoffs, so they didn't give an offer to anyone finally. The whole process was therefore very confusing.

Interview Questions

• Describe your PhD research, Conflict resolution during PhD, leadership initiates during PhD   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

On campus interview for 30 minutes, all the interview questions are behavioral questions. Get the interview opportunity after talking with the recruiter during the campus recruiting event. Overall very pleasant experience

Interview Questions

• What is the most difficult course?   1 Answer

Geoscience Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

Great experience. I applied through our campus internal career center website, then visited the XOM booth at our careerfair. The interview was very relaxed. Went over standard interview behavioral questions to see how you act in teamwork settings, how you handle disagreement. Overall, was very pleased. We wont know results of the processes until 3-4 months.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you disagreed with your team.   Answer Question

Geophysicist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

It was a casual style of (mostly) unscripted dialogue with the recruiter. The recruiter was interested in how my research had progressed in the last year, and any new outcomes I had learned. The general discussion revolved around the oil and gas industry.