Interview Question

Junior Trader Interview

Jane Street

During the third interview : imagine an infinite chess board. If the horse from 1 case, in how many cases can he possibly ends after 10 moves. You actually don't have to give a number but a 95% confidence interval. pen and paper allowed

AnswerAdd Tags

Interview Answers

12 Answers

The answer is actually 741. I probably wouldn't have thought of this super quickly during an interview, but just think about it this way: in 10 moves, the most the knight can move to the right (or to the left) is 20 spaces. So you are confined to a 41-by-41 box of spaces. Now just label each column (or row if you'd prefer, as this is obviously symmetric) 0-40 (so the knight begins on the center square of column 20). Then just ask yourself....how many spaces in column 0 can the knight land on in 10 moves? How about column 1? And so on. If you think of it this way the answer will become clear. To "candidate" I suspect you are solving the wrong problem. If you're looking at possible paths that a knight might take then maybe I'd believe your answer. But for spaces to land on this is definitely wrong. By the way, since this is only a confidence interval, my friend had a very good way of estimating this. Each knight moves along the diagonal of a triangle with legs 1 and 2; in other words, the knight moves sqrt{5} away from the center with each move. So the spaces that the knight could land on would be roughly inside a circle of radius 10sqrt{5}, which has area about 1500. But the knight can only land on half of those squares because in an even number of moves he must land on a square that's the same color as the square he started on. So your estimate would be 750, so take some reasonable interval around 750.

wlfgngpck on

no my bad, the can be reached 741 is correct, it's just in the case 2 that you have to substract these diagonals...

Anonymous on

Solution visualised : http://twitpic.com/9jegtb

aldwinaldwin on

Formula (no idea why, but it works) x=amount of steps (square(1+4*x) + 1) / 2 - square(4*x) / 16 Range as square : ( 2x + 1 + 2x ) * (2x + 1 + 2x) = 41*41 = 1681 Add centerpoint : + 1 / 1682 Only half of the fields will be posible : / 2 = 841 Corners are not reachable, 1/8th of each direction without center lines : ( 2x*2x / 2 ) /8 = 100 Result 841-100=741

aldwinaldwin on

sorry I meant to write that he can't reach (14;14), of course he can reach (19;9)

guest on

so my answer would be 741-4=737 cause he cant reach (14;14), (14;-14)and (-14,14) (-14;-14)

guest on

Don't really understand the question... the horse from 1 case? and whats the intuition of the answer given?

total on

«wlfgngpck» I did it the way you said by giving half the area of the circus of radius 10*sqrt(5) so 750 is not bad for a true answer of 741 (or 751 I don't remember)

Anonymous on

he can get to 20 spaces in all 4 directions. thats 41x41 = 1681. he cannot reach the corners which are composed of 10 + 9 + 8...+2+1 boxes = 55. so four corners are 220 boxes. that leaves him at 1461. subtract one for the one he is on currently -> 1460 and divide by 2 bc he cant land on the opposite color from where he started. answer is 731

md on

741 is too big, if the knight is at (0;0) can get to (20;10) in 10 moves but not to (19;9) in 10 moves...try it out with 2 moves...it's not 37 cases but only 33 because he can't get to (2;2) (-2;-2) (-2;2) (2;-2) in 2 moves...

guest on

I think it's much more than 751. I found 7938126 cases, and there are more.

candidate on

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.