Connected Lab Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

Connected Lab Interview Questions

Updated 4 Jul, 2018

2.5

Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Connected Lab (Waterloo, ON) in March-2015.

Interview

Applied through university job portal, and got selected for an interview.
    The interview was about 30 minutes where I answered a set of technical questions from the company's lead engineer, followed by a chat with the company's CEO. A little while later I received an offer from Connected.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Connected Lab (Toronto, ON) in April-2014.

Interview

In the on-site there were two interviewers, the junior interviewer seems straight from a fraternity. I was expecting any moment, he would use the words "bro" or "dude".

Questions seem to blend between product design and technical. Therefore, there was always a confusion, do I explore the product design direction or the technical direction. The whole thing was an open-ended question with the classic blunder of you get to reach the "interviewer's own end", not your end. To be fair, this is a common thing in interviews. Interviewers ask open-ended question and expect the interviewees to go through the same path the interview would go.

Both of the interviewers seem like program manager with a bit of experience in developing CRUD apps and site. To be fair, that's the type of product they develop, so the good thing is they ask questions related to the work you will be working unlike other companies who ask bunch of hard question you will never do in the work. However, I did expect a bit more technical depth, I was surprised by the blank stare from the junior interviewer when he heard the data-structure "trie".

Pros:
    * Good friendly culture
    * Nice office
    * Quick feedback
    * No technical pretentiousness (e.g. we develop CRUD apps, but we like you to solve dynamic programming questions)

Cons:
    * Brogrammer culture (there is a pretentiousness about company culture). YMMV; but some people will find it off-putting
    * Inexperienced (including the technical knowledge) interviewers, particularly the junior interviewer - I would never put him into interview; this reflects really bad on the company.
    * Way way less technical depth, YMMV.

I was not offered the role; not sure, I would accept given the offer. It seems you will learn about product development, but nothing in technical knowledge.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Connected Lab (Toronto, ON) in March-2016.

Interview

bad experience

First online test, super easy. 2 coding questions and 2 selective questions.
    Onsite after, changed into video interview. The interview process last for 1.5 hours.....They game some brief introductions to their projects (which literally tells nothing). Ask for my background, which follows a basic procedure. After that, I was asked for a programming questions: 1: Given a sentence and a vector of words, check whether the sentence is valid or not. This question needs a lot of clarification: for example, whether the sentence has empty space to separate one word with each other, or just a string with no space.... the interviewer seems doesn't know my clarification. I started coding assuming that there is no space (DFS way to solve it). During my coding, the interviewer seems like don't understand my code. I remembered he asked "why do you use the same function twice?" erh, this is called overloading.....OK... after my coding, I run through one example. He suddently realized that and said there are white space between different words in the sentence. I code for another 5 minutes and done. He continued to ask for counting a binary tree's node. This is to use recursive and very easy. Code it for 1 minute, done. Then, he continued to ask for locating the lowest common node for two nodes. This is very easy. I told him one method, he said, what if there is no child pointers in the tree node. I solved it in 2 minutes. He then asked what is the process of a website URL to the server. I answered it. He then continue to ask to design a pizza delivery system database.... I told him before I have no database experience. He then asked to design APIs..... But actually from his description, I really think he knows nothing about APIs. What he want was just how to write functions....

Very bad experience, the interviews themselves are not professional. And I got a rejection letter after. The HR said "because we are very competitive..." I literally think because the interviewer know no more than me......bless this company.....which a bunch of software engineer who doesn't even know overload and DFS

Interview Questions

• 1: given a string and a vector which contains words, determine whether the string is valid or not.
      2: trees   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Connected Lab (Toronto, ON) in April-2016.

Interview

I applied in indeed. They took approx 2 days to reply via my application. It is come with a online testing inside the reply. After you took the test. They just reply me a day after and asking for face to face interview booking.

Interview Questions

• Given an website content. Create a database table related to it.
      Given list of words. compare given string is a sentence (every word in string is in list)
      The last one I forgot   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Connected Lab (Toronto, ON) in March-2016.

Interview

I applied online and they replied within 3 days. Firstly, they told me to go through the Hackerrank coding challenge. There were 3 questions (2 coding and 1 multiple choice). I passed the test and then they called me for onsite technical interview. Firstly, 2 developers showed me office and asked me for drinks etc. They told me about their work culture, meetings, hackathons etc. They make you feel so comfortable.Then we went in a meeting room where we were joined by one manager also. So, it started with my projects etc etc followed by programming questions on board.

Interview Questions

• Write a function to find if given sentence is valid. Suppose you have dictionary of all words.   Answer Question
    • oops concepts ( design system for pizza etc.)   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

The interview process is a joke. They mostly want to see that you are friendly and well dressed. If you look at their facebook page you will see what kind of people and culture *cough* brogrammer *cough* they are aiming for.

Interview Questions

• How do you find the common ancestor of two nodes?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Connected Lab (Toronto, ON) in June-2017.

Interview

Applied online and was sent an online test: 3 algorithm questions. Got a response after 3 weeks. I was invited on-site. Interview was with 2 very young developers. One was nice and friendly, the other one condescending and unfriendly. I was asked to provide my answers on a white board. I didn't find the coding question fair.

Interview Questions

• 1. Code question- how to change colour in a multidimensional array? function changeColour(arr, x, y, colour)- change all the area near x,y with the original colour to a new colour?
      2. What are the main components in a web application?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Connected Lab (Toronto, ON) in April-2017.

Interview

I get an online test after applying for it. Which is not difficult, but the question looks a little unclear. Search an element in binary search tree is the first problem. The second one is given an cinema queueing system, calculate when the customer can finish buying several tickets.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8+ weeks. I interviewed at Connected Lab (Toronto, ON).

Interview

Interviewer was really nice. A couple algorithm type questions. One question about architecture. A bunch of iOS specific questions. Overall a fun experience. Have free snacks. Demo days. Nice office.

Interview Questions

• A couple algorithm type questions. One question about architecture. A bunch of iOS specific questions   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Connected Lab in September-2016.

Interview

Not much to say - I submitted my application online, and received an email to complete the Hackerrank challenge a couple of days later. It has been a few weeks, and I have not yet heard back since I have completed the challenge (with good code, etc.)

I have been told that the hiring process involves one round of onsite (3-4 questions asked, by the same interviewer; first question is straight code, second and third were both design questions with code somewhat optional, and a bonus fourth question if you indicate good knowledge with distributed systems/load balancing/etc.). A final interview with the VP mainly for fit before offer.

Interview Questions

• 1. Given an element, find if it exists in a binary search tree.
      2. Parenthesis matching - this is a commonly asked algorithms question.
      3/4. 2 Multiple choice questions regarding general programming knowledge (they were easy)   1 Answer