Cover image for CarMax

Engaged Employer

Add an Interview

CarMax Interview Questions

Updated Jan 25, 2023

To filter interviews, or .
Found 1,490 of over 1.5K interviews

2.9
HardAverageEasy

Featured Interview

CarMax

Application

I interviewed at CarMax

Interview

Quick and easy great questions I don’t what you want me to say or why you are asking me these weird questions I just want to move to next section

Interview Questions
  • Why do you want to work here
    Answer Question

CarMax

Application

I interviewed at CarMax

Interview

Video interview lasted 30 minutes. Hiring Manager asks questions about your past experience and tells you about the tax compliance process at Carmax. Tax department seems to be pretty large and tenured.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

What people are saying about CarMax

Join the conversation on

Sales

5m

works at

CarMax

I’m 21, I sell cars at Carmax, before this I sold cable door to door for then security systems door to doo. and now I’ve been here for a year and some change. On pace to make 75k but just got a bonus that should push me to 90-100k next year. What field can I move into that would push this number higher. I love talking to people and making them see the value in something and I wanna continue to grow.

17 Comments

Join the conversation on

Got a burning question about CarMax? Just ask!

On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with CarMax employees and get real answers from people on the inside.

What's Fishbowl
Ask a Question

CarMax

Application

I interviewed at CarMax

Interview

Quick and easy interview, relaxed and personable interview, friendly people and was overall felt good about the interview let me know about 1 hours later if I was hired or not

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

CarMax

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax

Interview

Started with a meet and greet (3 total people: myself, a hiring manager and a manager in training), then I was asked to describe myself, my background and work experience. After answering all their questions the interview was finished by doing a mock sell—I was the sales consultant helping a customer (played by one the managers) find the right vehicle for their needs.

Interview Questions
  • I was asked to describe my previous work experience specifically in customer service situations. Then, I was asked if there was ever a time a work where I was involved in a negative customer service experience and the best customer service I ever provided at work.

CarMax

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at CarMax

Interview

Very easy going interview. You have to take a small assessment showing that you have some competency speaking to others. Also that you are teachable. You have to choose a car to sell someone one.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

CarMax

Application

I interviewed at CarMax

Interview

Very good and smooth, recruiters were very on top of things and got back fast. Never had to reach out for a response and I met and spoke with many nice and friendly people.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

CarMax

Application

I interviewed at CarMax

Interview

Individual interviews with 2 managers and short computer test on skill and customer service. The interview was relaxed and friendly. I was hired on the spot and able to choose my work schedule.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in North Chesterfield

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax (North Chesterfield) in Jan 2023

Interview

Fairly simple process. The interview questions were good but definitely take some time to think about. None of the questions I prepared for were what she asked which threw me for a loop. The person who interviewed me was very kind, patient and understanding, though and she gave me plenty of time to think.

Interview Questions
  • STAR format questions. Give yourself time to think and answer clearly.

CarMax

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax in Dec 2022

Interview

Very simple, apply online and then take the assessment. A recruiter reaches out to you in a few days to a week or so, do one interview and then a second one where they make you an offer on the second one.

Interview Questions
  • Describe a time when you went above and beyond for a customer. Describe a time when you needed to ask for help, how did you go about it and what was the result?
1 person found this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax (San Diego, CA) in Dec 2022

Interview

Application: The first step in the process is submitting an application online. This will include your personal information, work experience, and qualifications. Phone interview: After the application has been reviewed, a representative from CarMax may contact you for a phone interview. During this call, you will be asked about your previous work experience, your qualifications, and why you want to work at CarMax. In-person interview: If the phone interview goes well, you will be invited to an in-person interview at a CarMax location. This will be a face-to-face meeting with a hiring manager or team leader. They will ask you more in-depth questions about your qualifications and experience.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

CarMax

Application

I interviewed at CarMax

Interview

Very robotic and inhuman interview process. Not inclusive for introverted folks, on the spot, panic inducing simulated situation test that does little more than put candidates in a position that makes it next to impossible to express one’s self honestly.

Interview Questions
  • I am your customer, walk me through the sales process as you see it.
Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,490 Interviews