What does a Technical Support Manager do?
Technical support managers manage the technical services-related operations including engineering, IT, or maintenance staff at an organization to ensure all jobs get completed on time, within budget, and to customer specifications. Technical support managers ensure physical inventory levels remain monitored and replenished when necessary. They are responsible for designing and implementing an improved process or operational policies at the organization.
Technical support managers recommend changes to products or services to help fulfill customer needs more efficiently. They report to top management and sometimes manage and coordinate with subordinate staff in the day-to-day inner workings of their jobs. They ensure the project or department milestones and goals are met in a timely fashion and that they adhere to the approved and agreed-upon budget. Technical support managers need a bachelor's degree and 3 to 5 years of experience in the related area or department.
- Provide overall direction for the technical support team members.
- Develop a strategy, and offer a model for technical support across all offerings and solutions.
- Assist direct reports in the attainment of individual goals.
- Maintain system and develop strategies to improve on-call support.
- Review, verify and approve staff time cards for payroll.
- Support the team through coaching, development, coordination, and communication.
- Mitigate customer escalation through development of a direct customer resolution plan.
- Provide customer with a temp workaround for recurring problems until permanent solutions are found.
- Create compelling technical support offerings to be marketed and sold to customers to drive loyalty and revenue.
- Remain abreast of best practices and industry standards for continuous improvement of the Service Desk and its catalog.
- Contribute to escalated problem resolution by giving in-person, hands-on support to end users when necessary.
- Manage day to day operations to ensure requests are resolved in a timely and effective manner.
- Act as the day to day primary point of contact for client escalation points.
- Develop and maintain client relationships by understanding current and future needs of clients. Is a partner and provides superior client satisfaction.
- Stay up to date on all current company policy and procedures.
- Serve as a manager, mentor, knowledge resource, and escalation point for employees. Build credibility and trust within the support group.
- Mentor, motivate, and develop staff and serve as a resource to them to facilitate professional development.
- Drive timely identification, investigation, resolution, root cause analysis and replication of technical issues.
- Serve as an internal consultant to leaders and teams at varying levels throughout the organization.
- Bachelor's or Graduate's Degree in business, information systems, engineering, or computer science.
- Experience with R Language, SaaS, GIS, Jira, Cloud, and APIs software and systems.
- Demonstrated leadership and problem solving skills.
- Comfortable working on deadlines and can demonstrate sound time management and critical thinking skills.
- Is comfortable using leadership skills to collaborate.
- An eye on continuous improvement.
Technical Support Manager Salaries
Average Base Pay
Technical Support Manager Career Path
Learn how to become a Technical Support Manager, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
Technical Support Manager Insights
“We have a fantastic training programme to prepare new hires for handling customer cases on all our Tenable products.”
“I am excited about the continued growth here and the opportunities it is bringing!”
“Management give you chances to explore new technologies and grow in your career.”
“Nice and smart people to work with.”
“Great culture and Rackers to work with.”
“Supports career development and invests in employees.”
“Some good people still working there but I feel for them”
“Super nice people to work with”
Technical Support Manager Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the role and responsibilities of a Technical Support Manager
- Technical Support Engineer
- Technical Support Specialist
- Helpdesk Technician
- Support Engineer