What does a Sales Associate do?
Sales associates are responsible for selling products or services while providing excellent customer service. Sales associates perform an important role in the overall customer experience by helping with sales, customer inquiries, merchandising, and store maintenance. Sales associates work in a wide variety of environments selling anything from shoes to electronics.
Most sales associates have a high school diploma or equivalent. Training for these roles usually take place on-the-job. Many sales associates advance into supervisory roles within the sales department. The best sales associate are truly dedicated to providing a high-quality experience for customers.
- Assist customers with requests in store and on the phone
- Demonstrate knowledge of products and services to customers
- Greet customers in a friendly and polite manner
- Keep an eye on inventory levels and restock shelves as needed
- Educate customers about current promotions and advertisements
- Ring up customers at the cash register, take payments, and issue receipts
- Stamp, mark, and tag prices on merchandise
- Contribute to team's daily sales goals
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required
- 1-2 years of sales experience or customer service experience
- Willing to work nights, weekends, and holidays
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Strong orientation towards providing excellent customer service
- Basic math skills
- High attention to detail
- Demonstrated selling skills
- Ability to maintain a professional appearance