What does an Implementation Consultant do?
Implementation consultants help clients handle the implementation processes after performing business analysis. They design and run tests, document project requirements, prepare disaster recovery plans, validate requirements, and collaborate with sales teams on design proposals. They provide product recommendations and configurations and their technical experience for integrations and to develop coding and sound technical solutions.
Implementation consultants ensure proactive communication occurs with clients and internal staff and manage enhancement requirements and escalations. They provide technical, business, consulting, and product expertise to customers and advise on comprehensive solutions they can deliver to the market. They facilitate technical discussions and whiteboarding for project integrations and technical solutions from one to many applications. Implementation consultants need a master's degree in computer science, electrical engineering, or an equivalent and a decade or more of experience delivering commercial products via service organizations.
- Duties can range from delivering product training to new client specific requirements, development and deployment.
- Serve as a subject matter expert to our clients, helping them learn our product and coaching them through setup and integration.
- Follow balancing procedures to ensure all converted data is accurate.
- Utilize broad knowledge to recommend solutions to clients when appropriate.
- Ability to lead in classroom, small group, and individual training facilitation.
- Work closely with sales partners to ensure client expectations are being met.
- Create data maps and transaction workflow documents showing exactly how every field of information will be converted.
- Data mapping forms the technical specification for the conversion and, in some cases, may generate code.
- Guide and drive clients towards the best solution for their business needs.
- A high level of independent judgment and decision making throughout the implementation process.
- Develop custom components / product extensions when required during product implementation.
- Well-versed in business operations and the latest project management practices.
- Sustain client satisfaction within the end-to-end implementation process and after.
- Support the preparation of the scope of work by providing task/time details.
- Provide post- implementation support during the transition from implementation to maintenance.
- Consult with leading financial institutions on new and existing risk strategy designs across the product line.
- Assure software adjustments are made to personalize the software for the store and users as needed during installation and follow-up visits.
- Bachelor's or Graduate's Degree in business, computer science, engineering or information technology or science Degree, or equivalent experience.
- Experience with SQL, cloud, SaaS, service cloud, and Agile software and systems.
- Demonstrated collaboration and critical thinking skills.
- Experience in a consulting position.
- Prior experience with enterprise resource planning, relational databases, requirements analysis, and requirements gathering.
- A leader with fluent product knowledge and attention to detail.
- Can problem solve at all times including while onboarding or scripting.
Implementation Consultant Salaries
Average Base Pay
Implementation Consultant Career Path
Learn how to become an Implementation Consultant, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Average Years of Experience
Implementation Consultant Insights
“The pay is good and there are great and fair incentive programs depending on your role.”
“That's one thing that attracted me to FAST and one thing I really enjoyed.”
“You really get pushed to learn a lot and there are great resources provided to do that.”
“Other STCs don't complain about this because of the status of working with IFC/WBG and the great pay.”
“2)initiate buddy and manager connect before the onboarding and this is the best way to get habituated with the company culture and your go”
“Not good for career growth if you are seeking a job to enhance your coding skills.”
“I met some great friends who I can still keep in touch with to this day.”
“Paylocity has a great work life balance however you will be working a full 40 hours a week.”
Implementation Consultant Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the role and responsibilities of an Implementation Consultant
When working as an Implementation Consultant, the most common skills you will need to perform your job and for career success are Consulting Experience, Configuration, Microsoft Office Suite, Written Communication and SAP WM.
- Business Consultant
- Management Consultant
- Technical Project Manager
The most common qualifications to become an Implementation Consultant is a minimum of a Bachelor's Degree and an average of 0 - 1 of experience not including years spent in education and/or training.