What does a Forklift Operator do?
A forklift operator is responsible for navigating a warehouse or construction area to move goods around. They are responsible for ensuring that the forklift is in good condition. A few of the main duties of a forklift operator are performing routine maintenance on the forklift, moving goods from one place to another, creating reports of lost or broken goods, and inspecting the forklift. They also have to follow all health and safety regulations. Some of the jobs titles that a forklift operator could grow into are operations manager and warehouse manager.
A forklift operator should have two years of experience in a warehouse setting as well as a high school degree or GED equivalent. One of the most important skills that a forklift operator will have is the ability to keep track of goods. Another skill is organization as the forklift operator will have to keep track of where all the goods are.
- Keep track of the location of goods
- Report any damaged or lost goods
- Move goods from one location to another
- Perform routine maintenance on the forklift
- Ensure proper health and safety regulations are followed
- Store the forklift back in the proper place
- Ensure there is adequate gas in the forklift
- Perform inspections on the forklift
- High School diploma or GED equivalent
- Certified to operate heavy machinery
- Ability to lift at least 50 pounds
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to follow proper safety procedures
- Ability to pass a background test
- Ability to maintain a safe working area
- Knowledge of heavy machinery
- Great organizational skills
Forklift Operator Career Path
Learn how to become a Forklift Operator, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Average Years of Experience
Forklift Operator Insights
“The pay is not the best for a FLT driver and the chance for promotion within the warehouse is not great”
“Hiring FFaFamFamiFamilFamily rffifiefifiends is unfair plus payscale is based on who you lnow not on your performance.”
“People were good to work with I felt comfortable with the people I worked with.”
“Good Job Security because it warehouses corn biproduct made by both Tate & Lyle plants in Lafayette.”
“Am working with a great company with good pay through Best Connection and I get paid in time including my Holliday pay .”
“Managment does not report problems to HR. Better to go above supervisors heads and let HRs manager know the real issues within the warehouse.”
“Good salary and it was close”
“Pay is good and weekly”
Forklift Operator Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the role and responsibilities of a Forklift Operator
When working as a Forklift Operator, the most common skills you will need to perform your job and for career success are English Language, Load Unload, Strong WORK Ethic, Attention To Detail and Urgency.
- Material Handler
- Warehouse Worker
The most common qualifications to become a Forklift Operator is a minimum of a Associate's Degree and an average of 0 - 1 of experience not including years spent in education and/or training.