What does a Billing Specialist do?
You can find a Billing Specialist across a wide variety of industries. Almost every medium to large sized corporations requires a Billing Specialist to secure revenue through the billing process. This process consists of identifying outstanding accounts, generating invoices, delivering them via various means, collecting incoming payments via a wide range of payment options, properly logging payment and balancing the books.
While there are no specific education requirements to become a Billing Specialist, almost all employers will expect a High School Diploma with at least some college education. Larger companies will require a degree in business, finance, accounting or similar field. As this is a job dealing with a company's cash flow, attention to detail with experience is paramount.
- Utilize accounting software to identify outstanding accounts
- Generate bills and invoices specific to customer accounts
- Deliver invoices to clients via digital and traditional mail services
- Process all payment using various pay services
- Reconcile all payment with account
- Send delinquent accounts to the collections department
- Generate monthly and quarterly reports
- Delegate duties when necessary to subordinate staff
- Some college education (degree preferred)
- 5+ years in a billing department roll
- Understanding of accounting software such as Quickbooks
- Strong computational skills
- An extreme attention to detail
- Ability to be productive without oversight
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Robust written and communication skill set
- Basic understanding of office software and machinery
Billing Specialist Salaries near Canada
Average Base Pay
Billing Specialist Career Path
Learn how to become a Billing Specialist, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
Billing Specialist Insights
“I am very thankful I found such a great fit in a career and employer.”
“An excellent place to start or bolster a growing career and looks great on a resume.”
“There are many support resources and it was the best onboarding experience I've ever had”
“Its a good opportunity to get your foot in the door and start your career.”
“Cornerstone OnDemand offers a great environment for you to prosper and grow while working with some of the best people.”
“Reasonable access to accommodations and resources... or so this is what we were told during training.”
“You must stay in your position for one year so this limits career growth and opportunity.”
“2.There is not fixed date of salary it will credit on any day in month.”
Billing Specialist Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the role and responsibilities of a Billing Specialist
When working as a Billing Specialist, the most common skills you will need to perform your job and for career success are Coding, Written Communication, Microsoft Office Suite, Excellent Customer and Spreadsheets.
- Accounts Receivable Specialist
- Accounting Manager
- Cost Accountant
The most common qualifications to become a Billing Specialist is a minimum of a Bachelor's Degree and an average of 0 - 1 of experience not including years spent in education and/or training.