What does an Associate Vice President, Investment Banking do?
Investment banking associates perform client-facing roles in the financial industry. They may serve as the first point of contact for a client and usually work full time at a financial services agency. Once they have a sense of clients’ financial needs and short and long-term goals, they create a portfolio of investment opportunities by evaluating specific companies and industry data.
Investment banking associates cultivate new relationships and maintain existing relationships. They create marketing collateral and present financial information while conducting valuation analyses, managing the creation and execution of client transactions, and initiating strategic financial transactions to profit their company. Investment banking associates prepare cash flow models and draft memorandums and other communications with clients and investors. Investment banking associates need at least a bachelor's degree in accounting, business, or finance.
- Handle routine customer requests and inquiries, such as loan histories, posting errors, changes of address, line of credit advances, construction loan draws, notary services, lien releases, etc.
- Provide personal and professional service to the customer.
- Following loan approval, serve as liaison between Lender and Loan Processing, to request and coordinate preparation of loan documents and schedule closings.
- Assist the Loan Officer in maintain, commercial credit files by scanning and indexing borrower financial records into the bank's digital record keeping platform.
- Provide for the day to day customer service needs of the bank's clients by answering phones, research answers to inquiries and providing solutions to problems.
- Facilitate the proper creation and recordation of all collateral interests to ensure they are properly perfected and maintained.
- Generate ideas and analytical materials in support of new client meetings.
- Perform financial modeling and valuation analysis on public and private companies: comparable company analysis, precedent transaction analysis, leveraged buyout analysis and discounted cash flow analysis.
- Develop marketing materials for topics such as company positioning, financing alternatives, and M&A strategic alternatives.
- Obtain/review collateral documents such as life insurance assignment and cash collateral accounts.
- Verify collateral and checks for delinquent taxes and orders Future Advance Endorsements.
- Generate and distribute reports, such as Past Due Loans, Maturing Loan List, Loans by Officer, and others as requested.
- Bachelor's Degree in business.
- Prior experience as a consultant.
- Skilled with client interaction and problem solving.
- Requires careful attention to detail and sound time management skills.
- A collaborator and decision maker.
- Strong leadership, time management, and critical thinking skills.
- Experience with statistics, C#, and threading exercises.
- Experience in banking.
- Is comfortable conducting site inspections .
Investment Banking Vice President Salaries near Canada
Average Base Pay
Associate Vice President, Investment Banking Career Path
Learn how to become an Associate Vice President, Investment Banking, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
Associate Vice President, Investment Banking Insights
“He is building a great foundation to investing in human enablement which includes future of work and edtech.”
“Good work life balance with the ability to work from home once established as a good performer.”
“This is definitely not a good place to develop your career if you are used to North American work culture.”
“It is what you make of it and can really help to progress your career!”
“Career progression is possible but you must master the advice centre first which is heavily based on advice per day which is not everyone's strength.”
“Did not feel like there was any vested interest in my own career development and ambitions.”
“Good good good good good”
“Exposure to important work and great people go work with”
Associate Vice President, Investment Banking Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the role and responsibilities of an Associate Vice President, Investment Banking
- Equity Research Specialist
- Investment Banking Analyst
- Equity Analyst
- Investment Analyst
Get anonymous career insights from your peers
How much of a pay cut would you entertain to stay WFH, or work at an office 15 minutes away from your house? I moved companies during COVID, was told verbally my position would be remote, now starting to get pressure to go in the office and have a feeling it’s going to be mandatory multiple days a week, it’s a 50 minute commute. My prior company wants me back, is local and I really enjoyed working there. I don’t know how much they’d offer but I know they can’t match my bonus.