id Software

3.5

Robert A. Altman

id is back!!

I have been working at id Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I know id had difficult time recently, however I can say that all the negativity is gone now.
    All we care about now is making Doom with positive energy and moving forward.
    Managers and directors are really trying hard to make the company better than ever,
    and treat and educate the employees, so it's really a good place for artists to be grow.
    They don't just tell what to do, instead they ask individual opinion.
    Artist team is very open minded with great leadership by art director and leads.
    They care about making a great game with their passions and dedications everyday.
    New HR is just awesome. She cares and treat other coworker as family or friends.
    I know that most of talents didn't want to come to id before because of bad reviews or rumors recently,
    but it's in changing state now, and we are eager to find passionate and talented developers to make Doom.

Cons

It takes freaking long time to request and get anything like software or equipment.

please keep the momentum going!!

Great company, great project, amazingly talented team.

Current Employee - Senior QA Tester in Richardson, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Senior QA Tester in Richardson, TX (US)

I have been working at id Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great technology, awesome projects, and talented team.

Cons

No real cons to working there.

An exciting time to be part of this legendary studio.

I have been working at id Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

id is full of people that are exceptionally great at what they do. There's a desire for quality here that is unmatched. Working here has definitely pushed me and made me into a better artist. Zenimax is a great company to work for; it really does feel like you're part of a big family of world class studios. The benefits are great, and the yearly bonuses are surprisingly very generous. Talent and hard work is rewarded appropriately. I can think of multiple people here that started as interns and years later are now in senior positions. It's fantastic to work for a company that is paying attention to your hard work and wants to reward you accordingly for it, maybe before you even think you deserve it.

The technology here is still top notch, living up to id's reputation in engine programming. As an artist, it's great to see so much collaboration to tailor the engine to our needs.

The studio culture here is a huge plus for me as well. I was coming from a much smaller studio, so I wasn't sure what to expect with 100+ developers, but it's been great. There's still a big sense of studio collaboration between all disciplines, and it really feels like we all have the same goal in mind. The game is coming along beautifully, and the studio-wide tournaments have been a blast. One of the cool things we do here is the last day of the month we have a sprint review, and each department presents what they've accomplished over the past four weeks. Afterwards we have lunch and "stay and play" for the rest of the day. It's our chance have fun and play any games we want. Strangely enough, a lot of us end up still only playing our game! I know we're onto something great here, because it's all I want to play lately.

Cons

Unfortunately the public view of id right now is not great. Admittedly, id has recently gone through a rough patch. I was fortunate enough to join id after some major shifts in management/employees, and things are definitely on the rise here. The people here that stuck it out through the bad times tell me it's been a complete transformation of the studio culture, for the better. It's sad to see the public opinion of id still so low, but we all know that it's going to be changing soon. Watch out, because id is back!

Current Employee's Observations (Things are Good)

Current Employee - Artist in Richardson, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Artist in Richardson, TX (US)

I have been working at id Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have worked at other major AAA studios (Last Gen, Current Gen, 1st Party) in my time in the industry and frankly, things are good here. Speaking about the time I have been employed here far (since December 2013) I have seen a very solid, forward moving production with employees extremely satisfied with the project and management. I'm not trying to provide positive fluff; in comparison to other successful and positive operations out there id is right on par if not above average.

Not only are things moving smoothly on the production but everyone genuinely enjoys the production, which isn't the case in some of the other studios I've worked at. The community here is also very positive, and we maintain a positive level of mutual respect across all disciplines as well as encourage employee socializing and outings. While the company is not perfect, no company is, as far as video game development and production goes, id is in a very sweet spot. It is also worth noting that people are promoted and given promotions and bonus based on contribution and skill, not pure seniority or favoritism. That means there are good people in good positions who care about the project.

Zenimax Media is also a solid publisher (Our actual current CEO is also the CEO of Zenimax), and has fully backed our decisions and process. They really have a hands off approach and let us make the game we want.

We all got into video games to make video games we love with teams we enjoy working with; that's what is here. Take it or leave.

Cons

We could use a little more organisation as communication flows laterally. Management always keeps us in the loop, but we could do a little better in communicating across disciplines . I've seen these problems else where, and they usually tend to work themselves out during the production of the game.

In regards to some of the comments and negative reviews I've seen on this site: what company where those written about? I aware there has been a lot of change over the last year here, but recent comments? I've only been here six months, but so far that time has been some of the most positive in production in the industry. I moved from LA for this company/project and I haven't second guessed my decision. Also don't believe everything you read on the internet;at the time of me written this review, the CEO information on this site is almost a year out of date so that isn't a good gauge of the state of things here...

Nothing really.

Great to be here!

Current Employee - Artist
    Current Employee - Artist

I have been working at id Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

One of the best, well knit art teams Ive encountered. Everyone is very open and willing to share, grow and learn. The art team has a good attitude and wants you to succeed in all you do. Great group of guys!

Cons

Ive been here for over 3 years and yes it Id went through a rough patch 2 years ago but I can say that this place has turned it around and is on a serious upswing. When all the teams merged it created a rough atmosphere but this has been worked through and is far from how it was 1.5-2 years ago.

A bit of turbulence creates a lot of opportunity

Current Employee - Programmer in Richardson, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Programmer in Richardson, TX (US)

I have been working at id Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The talent in every discipline is very high, making for an exciting product and fun work. Recent changes in the staffing and management practices have improved the day-to-day work environment for the better and continues to improve.

Cons

While the studio is on the upswing, it hasn't yet completed the swing. Due to the rapid change and constant effort to improve, not everything changes for the better right away and it can be frustrating to live through the attempts.

Continue to push for great new hires and more leadership.

There is a lot that needs fixing at id Software.

Former Employee - Developer in Richardson, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Developer in Richardson, TX (US)

I worked at id Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Doom, Quake, Wolfenstein. I got into the game industry because of these games, and the amazing talent that created them. I came to id software because I wanted to learn from these developers. The pay is pretty decent, and they used to give bonuses before the current management issues.

Cons

None of the amazing talent that created id's iconic games are left - they've all fled the current management team. There are a few issues id software needs to work on to turn things around:

The lack of professionalism: Expect lots of inappropriate jokes, comments and a generally unprofessional work environment. Our HR director quit recently over the many internal issues.

The lack of opportunities: The Management has openly stated in team meetings that when they are looking to give raises and promotions, they care more about how they get along with the prospect, rather than skill, experience, or previous work done.

The hiring practices: They've turned away good candidates in all departments because the leads have expressed a desire to hire only students or people they've worked with before.

The broken technology: The entire tech team at id software has quit and moved to Occulus - they all left this past February all together on the same day to protest the managements treatment of people.

The non-stop attrition: When all of the teams merged together to create the "new" Doom team 2 years ago, there was around 140+ developers to make the game. Now, there is only around 50. The non-stop attrition has gotten so bad, that they had to contract outside the company for the multiplayer portion of the game, and we have contractors doing a bulk of our art work.

The non-stop reboots and changes of direction: Every 4 months or so, they tell us that the current direction is all wrong for doom, and will re-boot most, if not all, of the game. This means that for over 2 years of work, there is no game to show, beyond 1 or 2 blockout levels and numerous prototypes.

The non-stop spin doctoring: Instead of meeting the issues head on and working for positive change, the people at id are awash in spin doctoring by the management.

This company is at a crossroads. The last two years have been generally bad for this company, and has cost id software much in the eyes of the industry. If you want to turn this around, you need to make a positive change. Encourage the bright, capable developers who actually produce, and stop playing politics. It shouldn't be about who is your friend and who isn't, id software needs everyone to work together as a team! These sort of games might have worked at the old id software, but this is not how you run a successful AAA studio today. Zenimax needs to step in and take over the management to ensure these changes are met.

Sinking ship

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX (US)

I have been working at id Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The history of the company and the possibility of working on the next big thing is a powerful draw. The pay is reasonable, and there are still some really good people here trying to make the best of the situation. If you're a strong, self-motivated individual, you'll get a chance to learn a lot and grow more than you would at other companies.

Cons

The upper management. Hands down they are the most incompetant, arrogant, and untrustworthy managers I've ever worked for in over ten years in this industry. They are doing such a horrible job that we've lost over a hundred people, including John Carmack, in the last two years. They're bleeding the company dry of time, money, and talent; before they all bail with their golden parachutes. Zenimax is a patient, supportive publisher that takes a hands off approach, which normally would be great, but in this case is allowing the management to waste their time and money. People sit around untasked for weeks or months at a time, until the next publisher demo, so there is lots of time for people to sit around and be nasty to each or play politics to grab whatever favor they can. There is no chance for advancement or career growth, and Zenimax has stopped giving bonuses because the studio consistently fails to deliver. The game itself is re-invented every six months to a year, so there is no foward progress to show for the last two years.

Zenimax needs to step in and take a hard look at the people they have running the studio. We need drastic changes and real leadership if id software is going to survive into the next generation. To their credit, Zenimax recently installed a corporate "spy" to report to the board about what's going on, but we need real action to confront the challenges we face as a company.

Work with some of the best in the industry

I have been working at id Software full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Easily the best place if you're a proactive employee. Being proactive can be rewarding and it's highly encouraged, including working with the latest technology and pushing forward toolsets.

Cons

A lot of ego and jaded developers. A large number of employees who feel entitled to be included on every decision and actively bash the company and it's leadership every moment they can get. It makes for a hostile and unenjoyable work environment for the employees who actively want to contribute and make things better.

Cut losses and bring in new, fresh talent. The only way to rebirth id is to keep the employees who care to make a difference and bring in a new generation of game developers.

State of change

Current Employee - Level Designer in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Level Designer in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at id Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very creative individuals, awesome vision, and the technology (both software and hardware) you get to work with is top of the line.

Cons

The studio has had quite a lot of growing pains expanding from a one team studio to a 3 team (and now back to 1 team?) studio. Be wary of months of crunch and high stress situations.