hmv Reviews

Updated 23 April, 2015
36 reviews filtered by

1. top dog!

I have been working at hmv full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working with products you're genuinely (and sometimes fanatically) interested in.
    Working alongside people from all walks of life but who share the same interests.
    Lots of opportunities in store to talk to customers and use your knowledge to make recommendations.
    Lots of head office staff have been sales assistants, supervisors, managers in the stores, so you'll find lots of people who are really passionate about the company in all corners of the business.
    Staff discount!

Cons

The outlook for the company seems to be positive but it's hard to shake off the 'ailing retailer' label!

2. Verizon is a dynamic company with a vision of the future. Technology is always chaging, providing opportunities for lear

Former Employee - Backup Administrator in Temple Terrace, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Backup Administrator in Temple Terrace, FL (US)

I worked at hmv full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Verizon excels at providing opportunities to learn and grow. They provide an excellent compensation program with great benefits.

Cons

At the time of my RIF (Reduction in Force), there were no positions available here in Tampa. As I had no desire to relocate, I had to accept the layoff.

Advice to Management

I desire a position that test my skills, makes my think outside the box and provides a path for promotion. I desire that the company that employs me is as flexible to my needs as they expect me to be to their needs. I want to be part of a team that want to do more than what is required.

3. Fun place to work but could be better

I worked at hmv

Pros

- Nice people (some genuinely very nice people)
    - Interesting experience with varied job roles (i.e. floor-walking, till time, collecting stock from off-site, filling up chart wall stock etc.)
    - Good opportunity to improve/utilise up-selling skills with Perfect Partners (there was some good stuff there, the company gave you some good stuff to work with, it wasn't tat)
    - Unlike many other retailers, A LOT of face-to-face with customers on the shop-floor and provides opportunities to deliver excellent customer service (which are always help in competency/STAR interviews)
    - 30% staff discount on (most) items
    - Seeing the manager and his assistant ing bricks when the CEO paid a visit!

Cons

- Minimum wage. A company who pays £6.60 rather than £6.50 - even though it's only 10p goes up hugely in my estimation - because it shows a company values its employees and don't believe any Tom, D* and Harry could do their job.
    - Company feels as if it's in survival mode rather than at the top of its game. I wouldn't say backwards but very static. I talked to a permanent staff member who had been there for 6 years and they said the culture is unrecognisable when they started working there.
    - Contradictions in work practices. The company espouses the "product and people" mantra but loyalty cards are nonsense with £3 charge and crap "rewards". I felt embarrassed to offer it and so did a lot of other permanent staff. A couple of customers actually returned the card and wanted their £3 back because they felt as if they have been duped. On both occasions, I quietly processed the exchange without querying it with because I had the utmost sympathy with them. My indifference towards these silly cards was probably why they didn't keep me on!
    - On a couple of occasions, the staff were alarmingly mis-selling the loyalty cards with items not on the rewards program unaware that by doing so they were breaking the law. Any reputable company - whether it's a £1000+ credit card or a one-off £3 card - should not be mis-selling products. Someone needs to mention the Sale of Goods Act and the FCA. This is something HMV management really need to look at because it erodes customers' trust in the brand and drives customers away - particularly to no-hassle online retailers when they know they won't be pestered with silly value-less reward schemes.
    - Ancient, inefficient work-practices. One such example was the back catalogue squashed (quite literally!) under A-Z space when they have empty shelf space on the wall. The poor staff spend a good 5-10 minutes on your hands and knees looking for something obscure, so much that they have hand-wash at the till. Whack some shelves on the wall FFS! Spare them the effort and unprofessional appearance and save them time so they help other customers!
    - Lack of new ideas or initiatives to entice customers. Walking into a HMV store and seeing "2 for £10" is only exciting the first few times. I had about 10 (cheap) initiatives I would implement but they never asked staff for ideas so sod them!
    - I felt management were a bit (too) distant with staff to the point they were unapproachable. I understand there is a lot of pressure at Christmas but appreciating your staff members' efforts is an important skill that is so lacking in management these days. Employers always talk about young people lacking 'soft skills' yet so many older managers lack such skills as well. It's a laughable state of affairs when I see such complaints in the news.
    - From my impressions, the store had a good set of staff who worked extremely hard (compared to previous retail roles I've been in) and I don't think they were appreciated.
    - If you're a Christmas temp. don't expect to be rewarded with any bonus or meeting Christmas sales targets. Not even handshake of appreciation from the manager after a (VERY) successful Christmas period which I thought was a bit lacking in decorum.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the £3 payment for the "loyalty" cards which erodes trust in those who are duped into buying it and annoys the customers (The "Oh, you're trying to sell me something else now?" types) who don't want it when they are at the till.

5. Passionate about the product

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at hmv full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working with like-minded people, who care passionately about the product they sell
    Even when times are tough, everyone pulls together
    hmv colleagues are friends for life

Cons

Tough working for a company that is in a declining market that receives such negative press

6. Decent place to work

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at hmv part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun co-workers, management was nice enough

Cons

Kind of hectic, short breaks

7. Love this brand, directors were too ancient to move forward

Former Employee - Marketing in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Marketing in London, England (UK)

I worked at hmv

Pros

Great fun, friendly workplace
    Relaxed
    Nice benefits

Cons

My manager was not encouraging and being connected to the HR director at the time it was hard to put forward.
    Made redundant very soon after hire
    Frustrating as implementing change and progression was held back

Advice to Management

Well back then it would be buckle up, I'm sure now things have changed. (Hopefully)

Facing the music...

Former Employee - Seasonal Temp
    Former Employee - Seasonal Temp

I worked at hmv full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Getting to listen to new music
    Friendly team of colleagues
    Had a rota system so got to mix tasks up a bit
    Lenient with piercings and weird hair colours
    Watching the managers sweat when the CEO turned up for a visit.

Good hours for a temporary contract
    Discount despite being a temp.

Cons

Worked at a Pop-up store, was told we would get 60p above minimum wage during interview, then we were texted later that it was in fact minimum wage.

Thought working in HMV would be dynamic and interesting, but turned out to be a soulless profit making exercise. Maybe I've been watching the movie 'Empire Records' too much.

Took the fun out of customer service and retail by treating customers like gods.

Some of the tasks we were told to were a bit silly.
    (1) Stand at the entrance and hand out offer leaflets, of which customers would pick up then discard in various places around the store, e.g inside DVD cases.
    (2) Walk around the store in a clockwise fashion and approaching customers and asking if they need any help, while your colleague would do the same, so you would end up annoying customers twice. Also to hand out more leaflets.
    (3) The mentioned walk was briefly updated with the most ridiculous thing ever. We had to selotape DVD's together like you would be holding a spread deck of cards, and you would hold this in 1 hand while offering assistance. Bizarre marketing ploy.

We were also told despite being on a 6 week contract, that there would be possibilities for career opportunities at the closest permanent store, but we were told strictly no positions will be available by other management. Very confusing.

Oh and the pink Tshirt. Not so good for guys

Advice to Management

Better pay and don't bend the truth about permanent opportunities.

9. OK

I worked at hmv

Pros

Good merch and staff discount

Cons

store played robbie williams all the time
    high turnover

10. Great company

I have been working at hmv full-time

Pros

Staff, discount, range, prices great customer service

Cons

Not enough staff, wages, no external training

11. Friendly, enjoyable, range of duties during working day made day fly

Former Employee - Sales Assistant

I worked at hmv part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Gfeat team, freedom to discuss wide range of products. Customer interaction was good.

Cons

Mornings could be boring as customers can come in later

Advice to Management

None