hmv

Add Photos

hmv CEO Trevor Moore

Trevor Moore

Fun Job

Key Holder (Current Employee)

I have been working at hmv part-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat people, my love for music was supported, great customers, passion for what I sold

ConsNo room for advancement. I was with the company for 3 years, and was sent to help run other stores. I was constantly give hope that I would advance, but nothing ever came up.

Advice to Senior ManagementDistrict Managers, Regional Managers, HO staff - Treat your store staff better. Dont take them for granted. A little encouragement goes a long way.

Interesting

I worked at hmv

ProsVery very very nice music.

ConsOther employees were sometimes unhelpful.

Nightmarish void where souls were sold for company profit

I worked at hmv

Prosyou met awesome people (both other employees that you worked with and the occasional famous person), the discount was alright

Conscorporate office down to managers were incredibly pushy with sales and would write you up for not up-selling products at cash, the stores are always a mess, the overhead radio plays all of twenty songs over and over again until you've gone crazy, the customers are rude, the backrooms are chaotic and dangerously messy, hard to take time off, hours are always being cut, no benefits for a full year (even if you are full time)

Advice to Senior Managementstop treating your employees like garbage - brand loyalty is not established with pushy sales people that are constantly terrified that they'll lose their jobs for not selling enough product

not good!

Sales Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at hmv

ProsThere' access to great music, movies, cd, dvd, blu-rays, just about anyting you want ot watch or listen to you can find it at hmv

Consthey don't really treat their employees that well, and there isn't really any room for improvement or any place to move up to

Advice to Senior Managementyou guys should make employee communication more easy and foster that kind of relationship instead of just bashing everyone around

very fun but forget about advancing

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at hmv

Pros-very friendly people
-discount (supplier cost, items become very cheap)
-flexible when asking for days off
-flexible around your availability
-managers become your friends

Cons-lack of appreciation from managers
-favouritism
-can get very boring on most night shifts

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate ALL your workers.

Good job, crazy hours

Store Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at hmv

ProsGood Benefits
Good discounts
Opportunity for advancement
Up to date with music, movies & other entertainment
Get to sell great music to the masses

ConsLong hours
Monthly set-ups of restocking/changing sale sections
Constant moving/price changing/re-merchandising of product
Endless promotions to memorize sale procedures for
Working Christmas Eve, New Years Eve, Boxing Day, all at unreasonable hours of the morning/night

Advice to Senior ManagementI am a leader and it's hard work to try and keep up with all the bullcrap that is HMV. A leader has to be very much dedicated to this company and all the work that surrounds selling cds/dvd's and whatever else. It's nuts i tells ya.

It's a job

Stock Clerk (Former Employee)
Pickering, ON

I worked at hmv

ProsIt's a comfortable pace, you get to work around a music minded environment, helping people find the newest Celine Dion album is ultra rewarding.

ConsMinimum wage jobs suck. You are in a busy mall over the holidays earning only enough money to get yourself home on the bus and if lucky a meal while you are there.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on doing what you do... taking advantage of consumers with your overpriced, outdated technology.

Fallen Giant - Still Falling

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Royal Tunbridge Wells, England (UK)

I worked at hmv full-time for more than a year

ProsRelatively flexible shift pattern, staff discount on products, great camaraderie, relatively good prospects if you are willing to move to the other end of the country and are fanatical about HMV

ConsRegional management live on a different planet - management visits degenerate into turning the store into an ideal homes exhibition to match the pictures in the "handbook" (right down to the sticker drawer in the stock room). Not allowed a modicum of independent thought due to aforementioned "handbook" and centralised strategies. Working for the company is akin to joining a cult, if HMV is not THE all powerful obsession in your life - then expect limited to no job progression whatsoever. If you are lucky enough to progress - be prepared to be moved at a moments notice to other stores (i.e. you work in Scotland and are promoted to assistant manager at the other end of the country) and then maybe be told three months later that store is being closed due latest re-structuring. If you are lucky enough to get onto some kind of staff training other than handbook assimilation - expect that also to be cancelled without warning - successfully entered the graduate scheme only for it to be cancelled within a month and offered an inferior training position in its place (also in turn cancelled). For a company that had such a strong market position and with employees passionate about the products they sell it is a true disappointment that this was not being capitalised by the captains running the ship. Oh and they saw Digital and Online (iTunes et al) gunning for them for a long time and left it too late.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your people and allow the true talent (rather than the latest round of robots fresh out of conditioning school) to shine. Alas - too late - The ship sank last year and is now being rationalised (i.e. being gutted). A real shame for such an iconic brand.

DIFFICULT TIMES

London, England (UK)

I worked at hmv as a contractor for less than a year

ProsIf you love music, it is an interesting place to work

ConsMoney difficulties
Will it or won't it survive?

Games and Technology Seasonal Colleague

I worked at hmv

Pros- Decent pay compared to other
- Good if you have an interest in Tech and Games

Cons- None in Particular To be Honest

Worked for hmv? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at hmv reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for hmv CEO Trevor Moore. All 23 reviews are posted anonymously by hmv employees.