hmv

hmv CEO Trevor Moore

Trevor Moore

Fun Job

Key Holder (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsGreat people, my love for music was supported, great customers, passion for what I sold

ConsNo room for advancement. I was with the company for 3 years, and was sent to help run other stores. I was constantly give hope that I would advance, but nothing ever came up.

Advice to Senior ManagementDistrict Managers, Regional Managers, HO staff - Treat your store staff better. Dont take them for granted. A little encouragement goes a long way.

Constant Tasking

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsProduct you are selling is something people are interested in so it makes for great conversations with customers.

ConsConstant tasking makes it difficult to focus on customer service, even though that is what you will be challenged on as a manager.

Interesting

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery very very nice music.

ConsOther employees were sometimes unhelpful.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nightmarish void where souls were sold for company profit

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

Prosyou met awesome people (both other employees that you worked with and the occasional famous person), the discount was alright

Conscorporate office down to managers were incredibly pushy with sales and would write you up for not up-selling products at cash, the stores are always a mess, the overhead radio plays all of twenty songs over and over again until you've gone crazy, the customers are rude, the backrooms are chaotic and dangerously messy, hard to take time off, hours are always being cut, no benefits for a full year (even if you are full time)

Advice to Senior Managementstop treating your employees like garbage - brand loyalty is not established with pushy sales people that are constantly terrified that they'll lose their jobs for not selling enough product

not good!

Sales Assistant (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsThere' access to great music, movies, cd, dvd, blu-rays, just about anyting you want ot watch or listen to you can find it at hmv

Consthey don't really treat their employees that well, and there isn't really any room for improvement or any place to move up to

Advice to Senior Managementyou guys should make employee communication more easy and foster that kind of relationship instead of just bashing everyone around

very fun but forget about advancing

Sales (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

Pros-very friendly people
    -discount (supplier cost, items become very cheap)
    -flexible when asking for days off
    -flexible around your availability
    -managers become your friends

Cons-lack of appreciation from managers
    -favouritism
    -can get very boring on most night shifts

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate ALL your workers.

Good job, crazy hours

Store Supervisor (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsGood Benefits
    Good discounts
    Opportunity for advancement
    Up to date with music, movies & other entertainment
    Get to sell great music to the masses

ConsLong hours
    Monthly set-ups of restocking/changing sale sections
    Constant moving/price changing/re-merchandising of product
    Endless promotions to memorize sale procedures for
    Working Christmas Eve, New Years Eve, Boxing Day, all at unreasonable hours of the morning/night

Advice to Senior ManagementI am a leader and it's hard work to try and keep up with all the bullcrap that is HMV. A leader has to be very much dedicated to this company and all the work that surrounds selling cds/dvd's and whatever else. It's nuts i tells ya.

It's a job

Stock Clerk (Former Employee) Pickering, ON

ProsIt's a comfortable pace, you get to work around a music minded environment, helping people find the newest Celine Dion album is ultra rewarding.

ConsMinimum wage jobs suck. You are in a busy mall over the holidays earning only enough money to get yourself home on the bus and if lucky a meal while you are there.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on doing what you do... taking advantage of consumers with your overpriced, outdated technology.

Great company

ProsStaff, discount, range, prices great customer service

ConsNot enough staff, wages, no external training

Friendly, enjoyable, range of duties during working day made day fly

Sales Assistant (Former Employee)

ProsGfeat team, freedom to discuss wide range of products. Customer interaction was good.

ConsMornings could be boring as customers can come in later

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Worked for hmv? Contribute to the Community!