hmv

hmv CEO Trevor Moore

Trevor Moore

Bit like a Cattle market

Sales Assistant (Former Employee)
Warrington, North West England, England (UK)

I worked at hmv full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWould like to say but Isnt any

ConsWell Not the best Wages

Advice to Senior Management.....

Seasonal Customer Sales Assistant

Plymouth, England (UK)

I worked at hmv full-time for less than a year

ProsThe working environment was really good, a lot of the employees were around my age (Early 20's), we also all had a shared interest in Film, Music and some of us games.

Management broke the day up into hour blocks, so you could be on tills for an hour and then be on queue patrol. I think this was a good idea because it kept the day interesting and I didnt get bored doing the same job for 8 hours straight.

There was also the opportunity for overtime. I was employed over Christmas, so I don't know how much overtime is available all year round.

ConsYou were constantly under pressure to push sales, I know understand this is because they were going into administration.

Good experience

Chatham, England (UK)

I worked at hmv part-time for more than a year

Prosthe staff... NOT the suits upstairs

Consthe suits upstairs dont exactly care about those in the shops

Advice to Senior Management-

Commercial and Retail Finance Intern

Commercial and Retail Finance Intern (Former Employee)
London, England (UK)

I worked at hmv as an intern for more than a year

ProsFriendly team and company
Great office
Good benefits and freebies

Really enjoyed the year I was at HMV the team I was in was really helpful and friendly. Really sad that they went into administration, I hope they survive and start to get stronger.

ConsTimes I werent doing much

Great untill the money ran out

Supervisor (Former Employee)
Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at hmv full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat to work for largely with some great perks

ConsTreated poorly upon entering administration

Overall happy

Heathrow, England (UK)

I worked at hmv part-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood benefits and events eg. Conferences

ConsMust always keep up to date with new releases for films, music and tech, easy for full timers, more difficult for part timers.

Sounds like fun?

Sales Assistant (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at hmv full-time for more than a year

Pros+ It's nice to be working with what I love as my enthusiasm for the product is genuine and I feel that the customers recognise this.

+ The staff discount, although its not that much, is very handy, especially for birthdays/Christmas.

+ A lot of the staff on my level are very friendly and have a genuine love of what they sell.

Cons- The store manager uses fear as their primary motivational tool.

- The management are always in contradiction with one another so you're ALWAYS going against someone's instructions.

- No regard for illness or pain when tasks are being delegated. I've often complained of my injuries being made worse by my work, only to be offered no sympathy. I'm currently very ill but I fear the consequences of taking time off.

- Disproportionate punishments follow menial crimes. For example, an employee is awaiting a disciplinary hearing for going to meet a friend outside of work hours to ask a favour of them when he was off sick. He received a barrage of verbal abuse from the manager for this.

- The store is absolutely FILTHY. No-one reports the store to environmental health as they fear being fired. There was a dead mouse in the audio department for a VERY long time and mice regularly eat the confectionary that's for sale. The half-eaten treats are removed rather than the whole batch. I die a little inside every time a customer buys a chocolate bar. The staff kitchen areas are disgusting and rodent-infested and I refuse to eat or prepare food in them. It's also so dusty that my hands are black after half an hour of work. Disgusting.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis place needs a massive overhaul in the way in which it's managed, starting with respect and decency towards its employees. If I didn't have to worry about my wife and forthcoming family prospects, I'd leave right now. It's sad, because I spent my teenage years dying to work in HMV only to find out how awful it is to work there. I hope other stores fare better.

Wamp wamp

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at hmv

ProsHmv has a flexible for staff if you are a music/dvd lover you find some good obscure stuff. Managers usually try to accomodate you as best as you can.

ConsHigher ups at HMV didn't adapt and see the changes coming and now place is going under. Most senior staff saw it for a while.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould listen to staff and adapt to trends quicker and faster. Might be too late but good luck to HMV.

Very supportive company and very willing to give opportunities

I have been working at hmv

ProsOne of the best reasons to work for HMV group is the support for going into professional qualifications such as ACCA

ConsOnce professional qualifications are complete at HMV, there may not be open vacancies within the organisation to progress into a more senior role

Advice to Senior ManagementHMV leadership is very good ideas and always looking forward, constantly keep employees aware of the plans of the company

Cool place to work

Shop Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at hmv

ProsI get to know about all the latest news in music and movies and they let me be creative with my appearance good place to work and grow as an employee.

ConsSometimes the work is a bit dull and the customers can be difficult to deal with. Long shifts around Xmas time and Easter.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore training opportunities in store and bonuses for good employees. I would like to work my way up to the top so Id appreciate if there was the possibility to do so.

Worked for hmv? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at hmv reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for hmv CEO Trevor Moore. All 23 reviews are posted anonymously by hmv employees.