hmv

Add Photos

hmv CEO Trevor Moore

Trevor Moore

Games and Technology Seasonal Colleague

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- Decent pay compared to other
    - Good if you have an interest in Tech and Games

Cons- None in Particular To be Honest

DIFFICULT TIMES

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsIf you love music, it is an interesting place to work

ConsMoney difficulties
    Will it or won't it survive?

Bit like a Cattle market

Sales Assistant (Former Employee) Warrington, North West England, England (UK)

ProsWould like to say but Isnt any

ConsWell Not the best Wages

Advice to Senior Management.....

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Seasonal Customer Sales Assistant

Sales Assistant (Former Employee) Plymouth, England (UK)

ProsThe working environment was really good, a lot of the employees were around my age (Early 20's), we also all had a shared interest in Film, Music and some of us games.

Management broke the day up into hour blocks, so you could be on tills for an hour and then be on queue patrol. I think this was a good idea because it kept the day interesting and I didnt get bored doing the same job for 8 hours straight.

There was also the opportunity for overtime. I was employed over Christmas, so I don't know how much overtime is available all year round.

ConsYou were constantly under pressure to push sales, I know understand this is because they were going into administration.

Good experience

Sales Assistant (Former Employee) Chatham, England (UK)

Prosthe staff... NOT the suits upstairs

Consthe suits upstairs dont exactly care about those in the shops

Advice to Senior Management-

Commercial and Retail Finance Intern

Commercial and Retail Finance Intern (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsFriendly team and company
    Great office
    Good benefits and freebies

Really enjoyed the year I was at HMV the team I was in was really helpful and friendly. Really sad that they went into administration, I hope they survive and start to get stronger.

ConsTimes I werent doing much

Great untill the money ran out

Supervisor (Former Employee) Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

ProsGreat to work for largely with some great perks

ConsTreated poorly upon entering administration

Overall happy

Sales Assistant (Former Employee) Heathrow, England (UK)

ProsGood benefits and events eg. Conferences

ConsMust always keep up to date with new releases for films, music and tech, easy for full timers, more difficult for part timers.

Sounds like fun?

Sales Assistant (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

Pros+ It's nice to be working with what I love as my enthusiasm for the product is genuine and I feel that the customers recognise this.

+ The staff discount, although its not that much, is very handy, especially for birthdays/Christmas.

+ A lot of the staff on my level are very friendly and have a genuine love of what they sell.

Cons- The store manager uses fear as their primary motivational tool.

- The management are always in contradiction with one another so you're ALWAYS going against someone's instructions.

- No regard for illness or pain when tasks are being delegated. I've often complained of my injuries being made worse by my work, only to be offered no sympathy. I'm currently very ill but I fear the consequences of taking time off.

- Disproportionate punishments follow menial crimes. For example, an employee is awaiting a disciplinary hearing for going to meet a friend outside of work hours to ask a favour of them when he was off sick. He received a barrage of verbal abuse from the manager for this.

- The store is absolutely FILTHY. No-one reports the store to environmental health as they fear being fired. There was a dead mouse in the audio department for a VERY long time and mice regularly eat the confectionary that's for sale. The half-eaten treats are removed rather than the whole batch. I die a little inside every time a customer buys a chocolate bar. The staff kitchen areas are disgusting and rodent-infested and I refuse to eat or prepare food in them. It's also so dusty that my hands are black after half an hour of work. Disgusting.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis place needs a massive overhaul in the way in which it's managed, starting with respect and decency towards its employees. If I didn't have to worry about my wife and forthcoming family prospects, I'd leave right now. It's sad, because I spent my teenage years dying to work in HMV only to find out how awful it is to work there. I hope other stores fare better.

Wamp wamp

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHmv has a flexible for staff if you are a music/dvd lover you find some good obscure stuff. Managers usually try to accomodate you as best as you can.

ConsHigher ups at HMV didn't adapt and see the changes coming and now place is going under. Most senior staff saw it for a while.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould listen to staff and adapt to trends quicker and faster. Might be too late but good luck to HMV.

Worked for hmv? Contribute to the Community!