eBay Inc.

Updated Jul 28, 2014

3.3 1,056 reviews

eBay Inc. President and CEO John J. Donahoe

John J. Donahoe

Pros
  • Depending on your area in the company, there is a real emphasis on work-life balance(in 99 reviews)

• Many smart people with pretty diverse industry backgrounds(in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • Once you reach manager level or higher, work-life balance will suffer(in 68 reviews)

• Frequent senior management attrition, leading to reorgs / policy changes(in 40 reviews)

1,056 Employee Reviews

Life Friendly Employer

Pros- fantastic work life balance: work from home whenever, flexible hours
    - people are generally good to each other; cooperative work environment
    - great place to learn the best of big data

Cons- management decision making mainly aimed at on small incremental gains
    - lack of a sense of pride
    - business people trump engineers in decision making processes, making many valued engineers leave

Good company to work for.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Burnaby, BC

ProsGood compensation and benefits package, modern offices and available resources, nice processes in place for training and quality assurance, fun team most of the time, friendly atmosphere.

ConsI was doing graveyard shifts because we worked for eBay AU. It was challenging in terms of work/life since I had to sleep during the day and my energy was off since I'd be up all night, 5 days a week... So that was a definite Con and reason for leaving too.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Great employer

Pros- Putting so much effort in caring employees and their career progression
    - Totally globalized company as having globalized platform, customers, business partners.
    - Great working environment with flexibility

Cons- Quite conventional in terms of hierarchy
    - Bit slow paced in on-going process

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Better than average

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Burnaby, BC

ProsNice office amenities, most job roles were good, compensation was adequate.

ConsInter-department communication was lacking and management was not interested in addressing.

Initialy Great, but slid downhill

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Burnaby, BC

ProsLots of great people, deccent pay and benefits for the job. If you had a good manager then it could be a very good job. Potential to work with people all over the world. RRSP matching and stock purchase plan. Reasonable raises combined with options or RSU bonuses.

ConsThere were plenty of bad managers, and if you got one they could make your life quite miserable. Most micromanaged to the point it demotivated the employees, i.e. would rather an employee be silent and just meet their targets than do 200% and actually talk to your neighbours. Closed the entire burnaby centre before most could cash in on their options or RSUs as they took years to vest. Options were worthless for most people as the stock tanked and the closed the centre one month before they were to payout those with worthless options. 24x7 environment so people would be scheduled at times when transit would be closed and impossible to reach.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want a results driven company you have to create an environment that balances fun with work focus. Outsourcing may save dollars in the short term, yet isn't the best idea when you've saturated your market and need to focus on retention. Find a vision and follow it, don't 180 every quarter. Know your product and execute well, don't try to become something you're not (Amazon).

eBay helped me establish a bench mark as far as the type of work environment that I would like to work in

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Burnaby, BC

ProsThe 4 years that I worked at eBay before the Burnaby office shut down is a mixed bag; the were very accommodating in scheduling but I didn't find it to be the friendliest environment because no one talked. It wasn't until they opened the call centre that I became more social, but it was hell on earth to work at. Everything went downhill when they outsourced and lied and told us that the outsources were brought in to "help" us, when in reality they were developing an exit strategy and eventually closed our office after outsourcing everything.

ConsThey outsource everything at the cost of providing acceptable customer service to their customers.

Fun and memorable

Top Buyer Advocate (Former Employee) Burnaby, BC

ProsGreat work atmosphere, wonderful and talented people

ConsCompany began outsourcing local workforce to save costs, lowered quality of service provided to members

Fun, but..

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Burnaby, BC

ProsDynamic, changing and intense teamwork. Lots of employee events after work and on weekends. Reasonable raises for a few. Management open to suggestions and having employees create project plans and deliver. 4x10hour shifts generally available for a 4 day work week. RRSP 4%. Stock options or RSU's for additional bonus. Profit sharing ~6% for most, at least in the earlier years.

ConsMetrics are a hurdle for some. Quality constantly measured and evaluated.. fair but invasive at times. International coverage requires some pretty strange shifts. 4am-12 noon. 6pm-2am. 10pm-6am. Ongoing challenge from other employees to retain your preferred shift days off/times and risk getting bumped to an confused work schedule. Especially true when parents are forced into working graveyards or 4am shifts.

Advice to Senior ManagementOutsourcing appears to have helped the company slide through rough times, but has likely hurt the company as a whole. Tenure is not a great measure of effectiveness. Look carefully at some of the existing managers/employees.

The eBay experience

Operations Manager (Former Employee) Vancouver, BC

ProsIntense, dynamic, rapid change and a focus on working hard/playing harder. Lots of employee engagement functions. Recognition for a job well done.

ConsRegional restrictions on opportunties. Internal politics sometimes get in the way of getting the job done. Top heavy with Directors.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook carefully at some of the existing managers/employees. Tenure is not a great measure of effectiveness.

Great learning experience in a fast-paced work environment.

Customer Support (Former Employee) Burnaby, BC

Pros- People there are nice, friendly and young.
    - Fun and relaxed environment to be in.
    - Free drinks!
    - Pay is decent for the type of work that you do.
    - Great inside look of people wanting to buy or sell on eBay

Cons- Hours are not set, shift work.
    - May get very busy at times handling multiple customers.
    - No free parking on premise

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees need more feedback in regards to how well they are doing. Need more room for advancements within the company.

Worked for eBay Inc.? Contribute to the Community!