blinkx

blinkx Reviews

Updated May 27, 2014

blinkx CEO S. Brian Mukherjee

S. Brian Mukherjee

Pros
  • laid back atmosphere, good benefits, competitive salary (in 5 reviews)

• They also provide free snacks/beverages and do a staff lunch every Thursday which is generous of them (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Worst senior management team (at least from engineering perspective) I've ever worked with (in 7 reviews)

• There is no one leading the company (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Exciting company to work for

ProsI've been with the company for a little over 4 years and have nothing but good things to say. The work is challenging, but rewarding and management makes sure that the entire team feels part of the company's success. The company has been increasingly taking strides to make sure that blinkx is not only a great company, but a great company to work for. I look forward to going to work every day which I know isn't the case for a lot of people at other jobs.

Also, free bagels and snacks are a big plus :).

ConsReally haven't been too many, if at all. This isn't a "9-5 job" (as is the case with most Internet jobs) so if that's your thing blinkx probably isn't the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to tap into the entire team for ideas on how to grow the company.

Great place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Tempe, AZ (US)

ProsBeing able to speak to anyone at anytime is great. If there is ever a problem everybody is available to solve the problem quickly. The office is like my extended family and most employes have been here for over 5 years. We have a fully stocked kitchen and great insurance.

Cons401k could be improved with Blinkx matching a certain percentage.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore comfortable chairs and a dishwasher would be great.

Innovative Company, Best Staff in the Business

Director of CPC & Display (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ (US)

ProsThere are very few companies where you never have to worry about bureaucracy. The new hire who is just learning the space has a voice at the same table as the CEO. There is never a dull moment and you are constantly challenged by your peers, your superiors, and internally. There is a reason why most of the employees have been here for years. At Blinkx we are more like a family and each of us take pride in adding to the success of this great company.

ConsThis job requires you to always be on top of your job. The internet never shuts down and neither do we.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore comfortable chairs.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good co-workers, fast-moving and chaotic.

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsSmart coworkers.
    Opportunity to learn/grow
    Free food on Fridays and nice office
    When the share price was right-high value options

ConsWhen the share price is low options were NOT valuable!
    Chaotic management style in engineering
    lots of projects and changes to projects

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to let engineers work on their projects for longer so the product can be better
    Keep letting people learn new technologies

Ok company to start your career with

ProsOk company to start your career with

Consthere is no training of any kind

good place to learn/grow

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

Proslaid back atmosphere, good benefits, competitive salary

ConsConfusion on what exactly the products are and how they work (if they work?). With recent acquirement of Burst, there is various new roles that need to be played for your position which is aggravating/confusing. It will take time for this to smooth out.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to be more flexible with employees work hours. Should be allowed to work from home as long as job is getting done and there should be summer hours on Fridays (like most companies of this type in SF).

Terrible place to work

Sales (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsSome of the people are good to work with.

ConsNo communication - upper management shares nothing.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee above.

The dips of the roller coaster are evening out.

ProsGreat colleagues. Great vision. A good, professional vibe. Right now I think I have a feeling that the stars are beginning to align and we're becoming a "normal" company.

ConsA increasing feeling of disconnect from the product. I know the site is being redone, but it's taken forever to even acknowledge that it needed to happen. There is also silo-ization of the group by acquisition and product set. True, this could be overcome by the upcoming intranet, but it's a late and an internet was available through the Zango acquisition. It was sneered at.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt seems like most of the things that I think should happen are in the works. So I guess it's all about execution at this point.

Fun, collaborative environment filled with intelligent people

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

Prosblinkx so far has lived up to all of the expectations that I had for it. It is rare to find a company that is able to accurately articulate the type of work environment and culture that is present there, and even rarer still to find a company that delivers exactly what they said they would. Employees have a lot of opportunity, right from the start, to make significant contributions to projects and the company. Success seems to be measured by results. Micro-management doesn't slap you in the face everyday. Each employee can leave work feeling like they've contributed something. Great location in downtown SF, right near the Embarcadero.

Consblinkx, for the most part has not been an early adopter of new technologies. However, some of the new projects are/will be using technologies that are on the bleeding edge. It seems like that trend is turning around.

The company doesn't have immediate name recognition with some people, but I do honestly feel that soon blinkx will be a household name.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the website fresh, implementing new technologies along the way as they fit into the bigger picture. Most companies these days are redesigning their sites every 1-2 years, even if it mainly cosmetic. Launch a social media campaign, and maintain a presence and following on social media sites like FB, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+. Right now social media campaign = non-existent. Build the hype!

Lack of Direction

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros1. San Francisco Office next to Ferry Building
    2. Catered lunch (but only once a week)
    3. Some people who work there are very cool
    4. Total pay package is OK (but salary lacking)

Cons1. They don't know who to hire for what positions. A couple of recent hires have just disappeared and I'm scared to ask why.
    2. Long term growth doesn't seem to be there with a lack of mobile advertising direction.
    3. YouTube is just superior in every way
    4. Load pay package with bonuses (which are attainable) but that means you are taxed at a much higher rate and you make less than if you would if they just paid higher base salaries.
    5. Stock options are worthless
    6. The smartest person at the company (C.O.O) is leaving the company, now there is no one smart enough to run it.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no communication to employees except for really big announcements (like the C.O.O leaving). No one knows what direction the company is heading in... new flash, it's down. 300+ employees and 10+ offices, that doesn't seem to be very smart.

Worked for blinkx? Contribute to the Community!