blinkx

blinkx Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

blinkx CEO S. Brian Mukherjee

S. Brian Mukherjee

Pros
  • laid back atmosphere, good benefits, competitive salary(in 5 reviews)

• They also provide free snacks/beverages and do a staff lunch every Thursday which is generous of them(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Worst senior management team (at least from engineering perspective) I've ever worked with(in 7 reviews)

• There is no one leading the company(in 6 reviews)

Company targeting a niche market with a reducing opportunities

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Montreal, QC

ProsPizza on fridays, flexible hours if you like to start at 11am, management just don't care.

Consoffice very far away from the subway, low salary compare to all the work and responsibilities asked to put on, lazy management: The director of marketing clearly prefer to take times off to play cricket (yes...) at least 2 times a weeks than spending time with its team to improve results.The motto "Lead by example" was clearly never heard off in this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your priority right, having a prestigious office downtown isn't gonna make the company better, nor is it going to improve your revenues.
    The company that was occupying our office before were around 30-40 people, we were less than 15 and management wants to move to a bigger office because you think this is too small?that Despite falling revenues because our business model sucks?
    Mangement should save on cost and invest in badly needed marketing and developing new channels instead of that management decide to rent an office right downtown Montreal which will cost 3 to 4 times what we are paying in current office.
    Then they decide to lay down tow of their best business developers to save on cost so they can move to a more prestigious office they clearly don't need...

Not Great, but Not Bad

ProsThere was a flexible schedule and independence. Vacation wasn't too bad either and you do learn a lot.

ConsNot great people to work with, not very professional and the staff is very green and junior. Many have bad attitude and there's a lot of racial discrimination. Not a good environment to work in.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook into your Montreal office...Lot of shady business dealings there.

how is it to work at blinkx

Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

Prosconvinient, nice location, great office space

Conssalary, stock in really bad state

Jul 23, 2014

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear you enjoy the office environment. We are always open to additional feedback. Please feel free to reach out to blinkxcares@blinkx.com and an HR ... More
  1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lot's of autonomy and perfect job for the self-starter who doesn't need a lot of supervision

Prosthere's a lot of ears open when you voice your opinion. You have the freedom to really branch out and take on whatever role you'd like to take. If you have initiative, you can pull in other employees from other departments or divisions to really make a difference..

ConsThe industry is very fast face and ever changing. Sometimes it's difficult to keep up with all the changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep looking out for the A players who are looking to take on more, and make sure they're recognized and noticed for their contributions.

Jul 15, 2014

Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear you are enjoying your employment with blinkx.

You'll gain experience here.. because you literally have to think on your feet and fix everything that breaks each week.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsThe work-life balance is great, making your own hours, even though you're expected to work weekends... The office culture is split into two. Once someone has pass the 4/5 year mark, you're in with the "good ol boys" group. Free snacks in the kitchen... nothing but junk food. Want to learn a new skill in a hurry? Great because there's always something that's been broken for weeks...years... and it needs to be fixed now.

ConsPlease read the comments below the last 3. True wisdom is there and please run.. RUN. You're on your own after a few months. Not much help or praise is given, a half smile "good job" here or there or "thanks". Then back to work. You're paid next to nothing, and they know it- this is something they're proud of! It's an office full of desperation.... While you look at your co-workers in pity knowing all the hard work they put in for the less than measly pay given. Expect yearly cuts in any bonus, mbos, etc. Forget about an increase in salary or growing with the company in any way shape or form.. except for when others start to leave. They won't hire someone to replace them.... That's now your responsibility. Expect to wear many hats and deal with "that's not my job" and "we have to get this done so stay late" types in the office.

Advice to Senior ManagementValidate your employees hard work. Pay them what they're worth. Be loyal to them and the favor will return.

Jul 10, 2014

I am sorry you are having a negative experience at blinkx. Over the past 10 years we have worked tirelessly to make this a great place to come to work. We are extremely proud of the company and ... More

Don't waste your time or talent

Problem Solver (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsThe snacks are a perk, the person ordering does her best to come up with variety while keeping some favorites and fulfilling requests. Admin is always smiling and helpful to everyone. Office location is nice, but seems to be getting crowded again. The health insurance is good, not a lot of out of pocket expenses.

ConsThere is no one leading the company! I asked human resources a question a while back and the answer was wrong, I was referred to a guy who isn't even a company employee but a contractor that works with the accounting department. I wasn't sure why an accountant was supposed to help with HR issues except upper management is either never around or doesn't know what they are doing. The budget for upgrades and training seems to be non-existent. Despite years of asking for it we still don't have a company match to our 401k.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees, engage with them. When you come in the office don't run to the nearest empty office and hide out. Why do you spend money flying all over if you're not there to interact with the employees? Wouldn't it be a better use of money to stay in your own office if you're not having a dialogue with the people working hard to make sure you get your big bonus? Raises and bonuses were delayed because you were too busy playing CYA after a blog came out that told people we work for an unethical company. We know it wasn't wrong, we are the ones working on the products. You can change the names of the divisions all you want but unless you change the products we're still the same company with the same leadership.

Jul 14, 2014

Dear Employee,
    I am sorry to hear about your experience at blinkx. We try hard to make this a great place for employees to come and work. That said, I know we are far from perfect. We are always
    ... More

Overall a forward thinking company

ProsGreat place to work! Everyone really has a sense of ownership and direction, and the company embraces this work ethic. Lots of opportunity if one has the drive.

ConsCompany has grown pretty quickly, and feel like maybe some eggs are spread too thin, but otherwise, overall management is working towards better growth

Blinkx/Prime Visibility review

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Melville, NY (US)

ProsSmart, hard working co-workers. Great benefits. Awesome leadership, great vision.

ConsCan't think of any.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work. Great culture, happy employees. Move forward on the 401k match.

Jul 10, 2014

Thank you for your perspective and the time you took to share your views about blinkx !

A growing company with great opportunities

Employee (Current Employee) Tempe, AZ (US)

ProsI have worked at blinkx for almost three years now. I have learned so much and really advanced in my career. You can make the position your own and take on new projects, as the company has grown a lot in the past few years. You work with people from multiple offices and continue to learn new things every day.

ConsThe challenge of working at blinkx is keeping self-motivated. You are not micro-managed and you must be proactive at all times.

Advice to Senior ManagementI trust the senior leadership team is continuously working to make blinkx a better business ! I love working with a team that challenges me and helps me grow.

Not worth your time

Operations Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsThe free snacks are nice, and there are some occasionally smart people in the mix at the mid level management and below. I gained some solid experience on both how to run and not run A/B tests, and their analytics, tech, and most of the product people, again, at the mid level, are wicked smart and great to work with.

ConsThe outings a have dropped in spend and the pay is terrible. During my time there I made less than my spouse, who's a teacher. Upward mobility has a lot of dangling carrot methodology- they'll constantly say they want to give your a raise or promotion, but won't actually give it to you. "Products", which is really just adware for the most part, are kept limping along, and they'll take ads or distribution from the seediest of companies. Most testing and feature generation is more of a "this product does it and I think it's cool" situation. Nothing really pushes the bar or seeks to get ahead of the competition. Executive leadership is pretty bad- lots of poor decisions and no focus, with a very strong "I'm the decider and I'm right" attitude.

Also, these reviews are really inflated, possibly by execs.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor the mid level area and below, know when you have a good product idea and actually make it and test it properly- don't just shove it out there. You can make a good product through testing and iteration.

To the execs, you're focus on profits and acquisitions does not make good products, and is a waste of resources. Profit are made through good experiences that people like, not buying up more dead weight that happens to make money right now.

Worked for blinkx? Contribute to the Community!