blinkx

Updated 16 February, 2015
2.7

blinkx CEO S. Brian Mukherjee
S. Brian Mukherjee

Pros
  • Good compensation, good benefits, flexible hours and good opportunities for advancement (in 6 reviews)

• They also provide free snacks/beverages and do a staff lunch every Thursday which is generous of them (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Worst senior management team (at least from engineering perspective) I've ever worked with (in 7 reviews)

• There is no one leading the company (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

1. Featured Review

Great Company!

Current Employee - Software Developer in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at blinkx full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great working environment with flexible work life balance, which is good for my family life. Good pay and benefits. I really feel part of the team, and it was clear my work is appreciated and my hard efforts do go rewarded.

I have found my team leaders/management to be both responsive and helpful. So am not sure why so many reviews here are so negative.

Blinkx has many exciting products and is being well lead by senior management (even if the current mood of investors is very negative towards the company, it is not so for those of us working here).

Cons

Expect employees to work hard. So if this is not you then you may find life hard.

Keep up the good work. I expect our hard work will bear fruit shortly.

Oct 10, 2014Human Resources

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review. We are happy to hear you feel part of the team! We strive to create a great team that works together. Our challenges make us stronger and as you ... More

Shady, probably illegal, definitely immoral.

I worked at blinkx full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Compensation is good for senior engineers. Casual place without too much supervision or micro-management. Free food and free coffee.

Cons

It's hard to comprehend how this company is still alive. There are no actual products or services being produced here.

You can actually "feel" the awfulness on people's faces, like everyone has just given up on improving the world.

Jan 29, 2015Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. We believe that we offer a robust line of products and work tirelessly to improve quality. If you would like to discuss further please email [email protected]

Company targeting a niche market with a reducing opportunities

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC

I worked at blinkx full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pizza on fridays, flexible hours if you like to start at 11am, management just don't care.

Cons

office very far away from the subway, low salary compare to all the work and responsibilities asked to put on, lazy management: The director of marketing clearly prefer to take times off to play cricket (yes...) at least 2 times a weeks than spending time with its team to improve results.The motto "Lead by example" was clearly never heard off in this company.

Get your priority right, having a prestigious office downtown isn't gonna make the company better, nor is it going to improve your revenues.
    The company that was occupying our office before were around 30-40 people, we were less than 15 and management wants to move to a bigger office because you think this is too small?that Despite falling revenues because our business model sucks?
    Mangement should save on cost and invest in badly needed marketing and developing new channels instead of that management decide to rent an office right downtown Montreal which will cost 3 to 4 times what we are paying in current office.
    Then they decide to lay down tow of their best business developers to save on cost so they can move to a more prestigious office they clearly don't need...

Not Great, but Not Bad

I have been working at blinkx

Pros

There was a flexible schedule and independence. Vacation wasn't too bad either and you do learn a lot.

Cons

Not great people to work with, not very professional and the staff is very green and junior. Many have bad attitude and there's a lot of racial discrimination. Not a good environment to work in.

Look into your Montreal office...Lot of shady business dealings there.

Empty Promises, Empty Chairs

I have been working at blinkx full-time

Pros

There are still some good people who still work here. A small handful anyway. Work hours are pretty decent. You don't often have to work weekends.

Cons

Nobody is happy to come to work anymore. And many have stopped coming permanently, they quit.

Communication is terrible from the top down.

Morale is in the toilet, and for valid reasons. It's pretty unanimous. Unless you believe those reviews posted by HR to try and stem the onslaught of the inevitable.

They try and ask us to write them too. We all know you're trying to pad reviews here on Glassdoor. We don't appreciate it. Trust me, we want to write good reviews. Give us some reasons too. Then ask. You won't have to when that time comes.

The execs who drove this company into its current dire situation, blame everyone but themselves. They seem perplexed. They can't fathom why on earth they see constant failure. Even though, the reasons stem from their own actions. They don't invest in their people. They don't provide resources. They don't provide the time.

Salaries fall short. They promise things and don't deliver. The culture sucks, we don't even have any. HR seems to think a newsletter is all it takes.

Stop with your get rich quick schemes. We all love a quick dollar on occasion, but your employees deserve stability. The type of stability that only comes with proper business models and great products. You try and rule by fear. You push unrealistic deadlines. You kick your employees when we're already down.

Guess what. We're not afraid. Those of us left are just trying to turn things around for the other people who work here. You've used your axe to cut people, but soon it will be your positions if you don't change.

Trust the people you have employed. Let them do what they do best. Stop derailing everything they're trying to accomplish. Your decisions did this to the company. Your lack of understanding continues to plague this company. Your lack of communication is felt every day. Your lack of trust is known by all.

CHANGE ALREADY!

Mar 02, 2015Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Know that management understands and appreciates the value, hard work, and dedication each employee brings to the company. We are extremely ... More

The latest reviews speak for themselves

I have been working at blinkx

Pros

Great snacks. Nice view. People are generally nice and smart.

Cons

Like others have said, there is no leadership and the company and CEO have very questionable ethics. It's like a labor camp here. No recognition for working countless hours to deliver projects.

Start leading and get a new ceo

Mar 02, 2015Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. Happy to hear you recognize the incredibly awesome and smart employees we have here at blinkx! However, we are disappointed to hear that you feel management is not ... More

While even the highs weren't very high, the lows are a bottomless pit of unhappiness

I have been working at blinkx full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

One thing blinkx has always had going for it is good people, even as it grows through acquisition. Somehow (most) of the people remain amazing. I don't know how the company has retained so many for so long, although we're definitely starting to see some of the lifers trickle out. And I don't think it's just people coming together to make the best of a bad situation--the majority of people are truly dedicated and talented and fun to be around.

Benefits are good. There are some great managers and some of the business leaders know what they're doing.

Cons

It's good we tend to get along, because we see A LOT of each other. The CEO puts in 24 hour days and expects everyone else to, too. Unfortunately most people aren't compensated at his level, so sorry everybody--you're kinda working for free! Everyone complains about the low pay.

At a certain management level, no one takes a real vacation. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week is the expectation pushed down from above.

To make things even more entertaining, we have major attrition and nothing's going to change anytime soon. Like I said, people are abandoning this sinking ship and none of the execs are doing anything about it.

You know why people are leaving? Because no one likes being one person doing the job of three (except maybe the CEO). Pay us more, respect our lives outside the work day, and stop pretending blinkx is a start up. It WAS a start up. Now it's a raggedy collection of loosely organized businesses held together by spit and despair.

Jan 27, 2015Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We are happy to hear you recognize the rockstars we have here at blinkx! We are always striving to be better and will take your comments into ... More

Great perks, some instability

I worked at blinkx

Pros

Small office with a relaxed atmosphere and great group of employees. Challenging work and an opportunity to learn a variety of areas

Cons

Some instability, including high turnover. Not a lot of room for advancement

Oct 10, 2014Human Resources

Thank you for the review. Blinkx does provide great benefits to its employees and we are glad you agree! Our company has become more efficient and strategic in the past year, which comes with changes ... More

Great company going places

Current Employee - Snack Director in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Snack Director in London, England (UK)

I have been working at blinkx full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Really dynamic place, it is clear there is something going on behind the scenes. No one overly concerned about the latest results and are looking at the future.

Cons

The snacks are not that good, you coudl always do with longer holidays and I wish I had more options because they are going to be worth loads soon

Keep it up we are all behind you. The best company I have ever worked for and I started Apple witht hose other two guys.

Oct 10, 2014Human Resources

Thank you so much for your review! You are a blinkx rockstar with over 10 years tenure! Blinkx is committed to continuing to develop a work environment that is diverse, collaborative, and encouraging ... More