blinkx

Updated 5 October, 2014
Updated 5 October, 2014

blinkx CEO S. Brian Mukherjee
S. Brian Mukherjee

Pros
  • Good compensation, good benefits, flexible hours and good opportunities for advancement (in 6 reviews)

• They also provide free snacks/beverages and do a staff lunch every Thursday which is generous of them (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Worst senior management team (at least from engineering perspective) I've ever worked with (in 7 reviews)

• There is no one leading the company (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Company targeting a niche market with a reducing opportunities

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC

I worked at blinkx full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pizza on fridays, flexible hours if you like to start at 11am, management just don't care.

Cons

office very far away from the subway, low salary compare to all the work and responsibilities asked to put on, lazy management: The director of marketing clearly prefer to take times off to play cricket (yes...) at least 2 times a weeks than spending time with its team to improve results.The motto "Lead by example" was clearly never heard off in this company.

Get your priority right, having a prestigious office downtown isn't gonna make the company better, nor is it going to improve your revenues.
    The company that was occupying our office before were around 30-40 people, we were less than 15 and management wants to move to a bigger office because you think this is too small?that Despite falling revenues because our business model sucks?
    Mangement should save on cost and invest in badly needed marketing and developing new channels instead of that management decide to rent an office right downtown Montreal which will cost 3 to 4 times what we are paying in current office.
    Then they decide to lay down tow of their best business developers to save on cost so they can move to a more prestigious office they clearly don't need...

Not Great, but Not Bad

I have been working at blinkx

Pros

There was a flexible schedule and independence. Vacation wasn't too bad either and you do learn a lot.

Cons

Not great people to work with, not very professional and the staff is very green and junior. Many have bad attitude and there's a lot of racial discrimination. Not a good environment to work in.

Look into your Montreal office...Lot of shady business dealings there.

Great perks, some instability

I worked at blinkx

Pros

Small office with a relaxed atmosphere and great group of employees. Challenging work and an opportunity to learn a variety of areas

Cons

Some instability, including high turnover. Not a lot of room for advancement

Oct 10, 2014Human Resources

Thank you for the review. Blinkx does provide great benefits to its employees and we are glad you agree! Our company has become more efficient and strategic in the past year, which comes with changes ... More

Great company going places

Current Employee - Snack Director in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Snack Director in London, England (UK)

I have been working at blinkx full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Really dynamic place, it is clear there is something going on behind the scenes. No one overly concerned about the latest results and are looking at the future.

Cons

The snacks are not that good, you coudl always do with longer holidays and I wish I had more options because they are going to be worth loads soon

Keep it up we are all behind you. The best company I have ever worked for and I started Apple witht hose other two guys.

Oct 10, 2014Human Resources

Thank you so much for your review! You are a blinkx rockstar with over 10 years tenure! Blinkx is committed to continuing to develop a work environment that is diverse, collaborative, and encouraging ... More

Great Company!

Current Employee - Software Developer in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at blinkx full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great working environment with flexible work life balance, which is good for my family life. Good pay and benefits. I really feel part of the team, and it was clear my work is appreciated and my hard efforts do go rewarded.

I have found my team leaders/management to be both responsive and helpful. So am not sure why so many reviews here are so negative.

Blinkx has many exciting products and is being well lead by senior management (even if the current mood of investors is very negative towards the company, it is not so for those of us working here).

Cons

Expect employees to work hard. So if this is not you then you may find life hard.

Keep up the good work. I expect our hard work will bear fruit shortly.

Oct 10, 2014Human Resources

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review. We are happy to hear you feel part of the team! We strive to create a great team that works together. Our challenges make us stronger and as you ... More

Not worthy of your talent

Former Employee - Technical in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Technical in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at blinkx full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, paid holidays, vacation time.

Cons

Lack of vision and leadership and desperation in product development are the norm at this place. At one point management said the only message from the CEO was "revenue needs to go up, and costs need to go down." That is not leadership. Basically it seems that management has a suite of old, disliked products that are considered annoyances to most users and Internet companies and instead of trying to innovate a new direction on the model, they are simply patching and reshaping the old stuff in a desperate attempt to keep them ticking. It's a dying strategy. Most of management's role seems to be to watch graphs and say "fix it now!" when the numbers aren't what they want.

Leadership comes from the top, not trying to force your employees to come up with "get rich quick" ideas or patching your already disliked products to squeak out one more month of life. Punishing your best employees by taking away their bonuses that they depend on is a bad idea. Recognize the talent of your employees and their dedication to getting it right, not just looking at numbers and screaming. If this is the way you want to do it, you would be better off just acquiring whatever works in the market, and outsourcing its maintenance until you run it into the ground, and then look for the next one.

Oct 10, 2014Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. Blinkx strives to ensure a positive work environment for all of its employees and takes your constructive criticism very seriously. If you’d like to discuss further ... More

CEO needs to go

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at blinkx full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people you work with day to day are smart and dedicated.

Cons

No vision strategy or leadership at the top is made worse by questionable ethics and business practices they pretend don't exist. CEO doesn't care at all about employees and morale has been declining for a long time. Miserable place to work.

Find a leader who can turn the company around, otherwise it will continue to fall apart.

Oct 10, 2014Human Resources

I am sorry to hear your thoughts on blinkx and our leadership team. Blinkx strives for excellence and works tirelessly to make sure the company is a success. I invite you to contact us directly at ... More

Pathetic

I worked at blinkx

Pros

Stocked kitchen, industry standard benefits

Cons

Micro-mismanagement, slave drivers, unorganized chaos, project managers are non-existent, understaffed due to high turnover rates, prioritization is questionable, unrealistic pay, shady company

Bring on more directorate level staff; listen to your employees who have experience over those that truly do not have a clue; be realistic about hiring personnel; respect your employees and pay them appropriately; actually hire some project managers and get your priorities straight

Oct 10, 2014Human Resources

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear that your experience with our company was unfavorable. We would be happy to discuss your concerns, please contact [email protected] .

Lot's of autonomy and perfect job for the self-starter who doesn't need a lot of supervision

I have been working at blinkx

Pros

there's a lot of ears open when you voice your opinion. You have the freedom to really branch out and take on whatever role you'd like to take. If you have initiative, you can pull in other employees from other departments or divisions to really make a difference..

Cons

The industry is very fast face and ever changing. Sometimes it's difficult to keep up with all the changes.

Keep looking out for the A players who are looking to take on more, and make sure they're recognized and noticed for their contributions.

Jul 15, 2014Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear you are enjoying your employment with blinkx.

Used to be a nice place to work, not so much anymore.

I worked at blinkx full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free food, decent healthcare, flexible schedule. That's really about it, I would say people, but the smart ones are running for the door.

Cons

Prepare to be underpaid if you come work here. Blinkx promises to pay a 'bonus' instead of paying employees fair market value, they make up the difference with this 'bonus' and then fail to pay it, it's a scam. Forget about moving up or improving your career, when I asked about the promotion I'd been promised for years, I was told point blank that it would NEVER happen. How's that for leadership?

Stop having meetings where you just brag about how much money you're making and actually pay your employees, setup a 401k match, hire people to fill the quickly emptying seats, and also figure out a single unifying plan for the company instead of the throw everything at the wall and see what sticks approach. Stop issuing stock options to only your senior executives and start issuing them to your employees that actually get work done again. Not that the stock is worth anything anymore.

Aug 05, 2014Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns and comments regarding employment at blinkx. We take this forum and comments made, very seriously. I invite you to contact us directly at ... More