blinkx

blinkx Reviews

Updated Mar 31, 2014

blinkx CEO S. Brian Mukherjee

S. Brian Mukherjee

Pros:
  • "Good compensation, good benefits, flexible hours and good opportunities for advancement"
    in 5 reviews
  • "laid back atmosphere, good benefits, competitive salary"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Worst senior management team (at least from engineering perspective) I've ever worked with"
    in 7 reviews
  • "O) is leaving the company, now there is no one smart enough to run it"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

The dips of the roller coaster are evening out.

I have been working at blinkx full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat colleagues. Great vision. A good, professional vibe. Right now I think I have a feeling that the stars are beginning to align and we're becoming a "normal" company.

ConsA increasing feeling of disconnect from the product. I know the site is being redone, but it's taken forever to even acknowledge that it needed to happen. There is also silo-ization of the group by acquisition and product set. True, this could be overcome by the upcoming intranet, but it's a late and an internet was available through the Zango acquisition. It was sneered at.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt seems like most of the things that I think should happen are in the works. So I guess it's all about execution at this point.

Fun, collaborative environment filled with intelligent people

San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at blinkx full-time for less than a year

Prosblinkx so far has lived up to all of the expectations that I had for it. It is rare to find a company that is able to accurately articulate the type of work environment and culture that is present there, and even rarer still to find a company that delivers exactly what they said they would. Employees have a lot of opportunity, right from the start, to make significant contributions to projects and the company. Success seems to be measured by results. Micro-management doesn't slap you in the face everyday. Each employee can leave work feeling like they've contributed something. Great location in downtown SF, right near the Embarcadero.

Consblinkx, for the most part has not been an early adopter of new technologies. However, some of the new projects are/will be using technologies that are on the bleeding edge. It seems like that trend is turning around.

The company doesn't have immediate name recognition with some people, but I do honestly feel that soon blinkx will be a household name.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the website fresh, implementing new technologies along the way as they fit into the bigger picture. Most companies these days are redesigning their sites every 1-2 years, even if it mainly cosmetic. Launch a social media campaign, and maintain a presence and following on social media sites like FB, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+. Right now social media campaign = non-existent. Build the hype!

Lack of Direction

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at blinkx full-time for more than a year

Pros1. San Francisco Office next to Ferry Building
2. Catered lunch (but only once a week)
3. Some people who work there are very cool
4. Total pay package is OK (but salary lacking)

Cons1. They don't know who to hire for what positions. A couple of recent hires have just disappeared and I'm scared to ask why.
2. Long term growth doesn't seem to be there with a lack of mobile advertising direction.
3. YouTube is just superior in every way
4. Load pay package with bonuses (which are attainable) but that means you are taxed at a much higher rate and you make less than if you would if they just paid higher base salaries.
5. Stock options are worthless
6. The smartest person at the company (C.O.O) is leaving the company, now there is no one smart enough to run it.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no communication to employees except for really big announcements (like the C.O.O leaving). No one knows what direction the company is heading in... new flash, it's down. 300+ employees and 10+ offices, that doesn't seem to be very smart.

Rollercoaster Ride - but a good one

I have been working at blinkx

ProsFaced paced, high reward work environment. Co-workers are no nonsense, smart and hard working. Company is growing fast, creating lots of opportunity for advancement.

Consblinkx is growing so fast that the support infrastructure is having trouble keeping pace. The company needs to focus on how to make the transition from a small organization to a mid-size company.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove companywide communication channels. With the hyper growth that's taken place over the last year management needs to do a better job of communicating to the various business units. Improved communication will help the various business units understand what each other are doing and provide more opportunity for collaboration.

HORRIBLE

ProsFree lunches
Coworkers are generally cool unless they're at mid-management or higher
A fully stocked fridge and kitchen
Pay is decent

ConsEverything else. If you like working in a boring, stuffy work environment with management breathing down your neck at every step, this might be the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. Realize that you don't actually know everything. Show your employees some respect and reward ingenuity and hard work instead of trying to bend them to your will.

A decent place to start, but not to grow.

Bellevue, WA (US)

I have been working at blinkx

ProsThere is a fair amount of flexibility with working hours and I've had a good balance with my work/personal life. I've received promotions and have learned a lot.

ConsInformation is not provided very openly. Senior management is not supportive of employees sharing ideas or making suggestions about the progress of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementFear based management doesn't produce results and it doesn't make your employees respect you. Don't expect people to have trust in you when you make decisions that don't seem to be well thought out.

Worst Job Ever

I have been working at blinkx

ProsMy peers were top quality. Everyone was competent and good at their jobs. They all left and got better jobs elsewhere.

ConsTerrible management. They yell and cuss at others in the office. They have no direction other than to do what they can to make good press releases.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to relax and let people do their jobs properly. Try to actually develop a real product rather than "do deals" that sound good in press releases.

I'm so glad this place is behind me, wish I never joined

I worked at blinkx

ProsThe senior managers have really cool accents. It’s like working for a mean little Hugh Grant. If you like senior managers who are bad at managing but have really cool accents, then you’ll love it here.

Most middle managers and peers are good people. Their morale is low, but they’re good people.

ConsThe work environment is the worst. Senior management sees themselves as brilliant wiz-kids and all employees as vermin. Employees are disrespected and constantly reminded of their expendability. Folks are scared of the penalties of a bad decision so they don’t make decisions on their own. Their fear keeps them from investing any time in helping out fellow peers, it’s all about protecting yourself.

It’s just no fun to be treated so poorly and seeing people you respect being treated even worse. There’s an uncomfortable, depressing feeling everywhere, in meetings, in conversations, in work habits that all stem from the awful senior management.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt’s probably too late. No one from senior management understands good leadership. B-slap the top five and replace with smart, respectful, experienced leaders and maybe there’s hope.

If you're thinking of applying for a job here, you may want to think again.

I worked at blinkx

ProsConceptually a great service, unfortunately not so great in reality.
Some (but not all) wonderful co-workers, who give, and give, and give.
Generally fair pay.

ConsParanoid, egotistical management, with poor people skills.
Disorganized, lots of balls being dropped, in generally all departments.
Low morale, many employees who would normally leave this company feel stuck because of the poor economy.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds an overhaul top down, especially at the top, but may be too late for that - doubtful if Blinkx could attract the right kind of management talent now.

incompetent senior execs

blinkx (Former Employee)

I worked at blinkx

Proscool idea, online video search

ConsNo regard for employees as human beings. No communication from senior management of corporate strategies - even though there weren't any real missions or strategies or goals they didn't even convey whatever foolish plans they were conceiving. Didn't trust employees, listen to them, or properly utilize their skills. Just head down into their own ultimate destruction. Very odd work environment, no one really seemed to like each other. The MO seemed to be share nothing and if you're forced to, share less than will help your colleague. The attitude trickles down from senior management. Whatever was happening in reality didn't seem to ever line up with whatever they're reporting to the world. Nothing worked as it was supposed to and results appear to be very inflated.

Advice to Senior ManagementCan't really help. You don't know what you don't know. I just don't understand how people like that get to those positions. It's one of those situations where failure is the norm and no one keeps track of anyone else.

Worked for blinkx? Contribute to the Community!

blinkx Videos

blinkx – Why Work for Us?

blinkx (LSE AIM: BLNX) is an Internet media company that connects consumers and brands through premium content online. Founded in 2004, blinkx pioneered Internet Video Search using its patented COncept Recognition… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at blinkx reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for blinkx CEO S. Brian Mukherjee. All 61 reviews are posted anonymously by blinkx employees.