blinkx

blinkx Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

blinkx CEO S. Brian Mukherjee

S. Brian Mukherjee

Pros
  • laid back atmosphere, good benefits, competitive salary(in 5 reviews)

• They also provide free snacks/beverages and do a staff lunch every Thursday which is generous of them(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Worst senior management team (at least from engineering perspective) I've ever worked with(in 7 reviews)

• There is no one leading the company(in 6 reviews)

small issues but overall great environment

Account Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

Pros-blinkx is growing
    -Supportive upper management
    -Competitive Salary
    -Thursday lunches, lots of snacks/beverages for free

Cons-Growing pains comes with some confusion for employees on their roles. Makes sense though based on recent acquires (burst, etc)
    -Not flexible on work schedules (typical m-f, 8:30 - 5:30 type job). Should allow to work from home or summer fridays like many other companies with similar environment

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue with Monthly meetings regarding company updates (we just started this, but hoping it does not go away). Bring back happy hour Fridays (let us drink in the office!). Be more flexible about working from home.

Energizing place to work!

Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Melville, NY (US)

ProsWorking for the company for over 2 years and not a day goes by when I do not feel energized! Management team provides a great atmosphere, charges the employees moral by positively communicating with them. Overall this is a great company to work for!

ConsThis may not be your typical 9-5 job.

Advice to Senior ManagementI can not think of any off the top of my head. I enjoy my job!

Growing, learning, rewarding.

Senior Ad-ops Analyst (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsPlenty of room for growth within the company--they truly do promote from within. Very positive laid back work atmosphere with intelligent hard working peers and superiors. Responsibilities and goals are well communicated and I'm given autonomy to take care of those responsibilities how I see fit without micromanagement. Good benefits, competitive salary, growing company which is poised to continue to provide more opportunity in the future.

ConsNot quite as lax as some SF companies with regards to flex time or the ability to telecommute. The extremely quick rate of growth we have been experiencing can lead to confusion regarding the redefinition of roles moving forward, but that's not a bad problem to have.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm very happy here, but the one area that leaves me wanting is that the hours are long and are not based on current work load but rather are just fixed. Flex time would be a significant morale boost as would sanctioned telecommuting as there seems to be no reason not to implement more telecommuting. The job can be done from anywhere and again would boost morale to provide employees with more freedom and would improve work/life balance.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Easily the most laid back and self-rewarding company I've worked at

Senior Inventory Manager (Current Employee) Tempe, AZ (US)

ProsBlinkx is a company that is both fiscally stable and maintains a roster of the smartest people in the industry. It's the type of company where you are rewarded for your production/input. The pay, benefits, and company culture is amazing, and is almost too fun at times.

You have the potential to earn more than any other company I've seen, and those efforts are noticed...Brian knows my name personally and what I've contributed. He seems to go out of his way to make sure personally knows everyone possible open door policy at all times. If you come in with the right attitude, you'll be compensated far beyond what I've seen any other ad network or entertainment company

Also, NBA Jam Tournament Edition is an excellent thing to have in any office

ConsLike any company that leaves your experience and compensation entirely in your hands, you have a mix of attitudes - war heroes, gossip/social butterfly types, disgruntled about expected earnings, sharks, "class clowns," etc (typical 8 types of employee mindsets).

If you're the type of person who isn't self-motivated and willing to make your position your personal business...it might not be the place for you. My role is one that basically makes me a business within a business, and I couldn't be happier about

A lot of the posts that are negative seem to be from people who came in expecting to get the A treatment regardless of their work, or felt micromanaged during their tenure.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the company culture as is, and continue down the path we're on.

Best place I have ever worked

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Tempe, AZ (US)

ProsSince my first day, my voice has had the same weight as everyone else, regardless of position. This company consistently hires the most talented people they can find which has enabled us to grow at a record pace over the past 2 years. Everyone in our office is always happy and loves being a part of the team and culture we've created together.

ConsNeed to develop more specific teams for each initiative so they can continue to get the attention they deserve without losing steam

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to hire the best in the industry

Exciting company to work for

(Current Employee)

ProsI've been with the company for a little over 4 years and have nothing but good things to say. The work is challenging, but rewarding and management makes sure that the entire team feels part of the company's success. The company has been increasingly taking strides to make sure that blinkx is not only a great company, but a great company to work for. I look forward to going to work every day which I know isn't the case for a lot of people at other jobs.

Also, free bagels and snacks are a big plus :).

ConsReally haven't been too many, if at all. This isn't a "9-5 job" (as is the case with most Internet jobs) so if that's your thing blinkx probably isn't the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to tap into the entire team for ideas on how to grow the company.

Great place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Tempe, AZ (US)

ProsBeing able to speak to anyone at anytime is great. If there is ever a problem everybody is available to solve the problem quickly. The office is like my extended family and most employes have been here for over 5 years. We have a fully stocked kitchen and great insurance.

Cons401k could be improved with Blinkx matching a certain percentage.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore comfortable chairs and a dishwasher would be great.

Ok company to start your career with

ProsOk company to start your career with

Consthere is no training of any kind

Innovative Company, Best Staff in the Business

Director of CPC & Display (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ (US)

ProsThere are very few companies where you never have to worry about bureaucracy. The new hire who is just learning the space has a voice at the same table as the CEO. There is never a dull moment and you are constantly challenged by your peers, your superiors, and internally. There is a reason why most of the employees have been here for years. At Blinkx we are more like a family and each of us take pride in adding to the success of this great company.

ConsThis job requires you to always be on top of your job. The internet never shuts down and neither do we.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore comfortable chairs.

Good co-workers, fast-moving and chaotic.

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsSmart coworkers.
    Opportunity to learn/grow
    Free food on Fridays and nice office
    When the share price was right-high value options

ConsWhen the share price is low options were NOT valuable!
    Chaotic management style in engineering
    lots of projects and changes to projects

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to let engineers work on their projects for longer so the product can be better
    Keep letting people learn new technologies

Worked for blinkx? Contribute to the Community!