blinkx

blinkx Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

blinkx CEO S. Brian Mukherjee

S. Brian Mukherjee

Pros
  • laid back atmosphere, good benefits, competitive salary(in 5 reviews)

• They also provide free snacks/beverages and do a staff lunch every Thursday which is generous of them(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Worst senior management team (at least from engineering perspective) I've ever worked with(in 7 reviews)

• There is no one leading the company(in 6 reviews)

Worst professional experience of career.

Directory of Engineering (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsA few very nice people there, people I respected and wanted to work with.

ConsWorst senior management team (at least from engineering perspective) I've ever worked with. No product vision or direction, tons of micro management. IMO, most of company is made up of C and D players. Very few high performers. My sentiments were not alone, this is a feeling at least some employees I worked with have themselves. Most telling fact, my contact at the company quit the same week I joined. This should have tipped me off that it was not a great place.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen your eyes to what's really going on and who is making decisions.

Average Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsIt's nice for working your straight eight hours and going home. There isn't much motivation to work extra or contribute more. Your coworkers you work with on a day to day basis are nice.

ConsBlinkx doesn't create anything truly innovative or ground breaking on the tech side. There aren't many perks if at all for working there. This isn't an environment for you if you're looking to learn and grow. There isn't many areas to advance to.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease talk to your employees and care about them more.

Great Company, Loads of Opportunity and Potential

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Tempe, AZ (US)

ProsHave been with Blinkx since they acquired us back in 2011, and in that time, the company has expanded, hired, and increased revenue exponentially. I've had the pleasure of working with many others across the other departments/Offices, and there's really a sense of teamwork in most areas here.

ConsThere are some minor "corporate" issues that come along with being a publicly traded company, sometimes there could be lack of communication on what may be going on, outside of monthly meetings.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Internship Review

Corp Dev Intern (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsEveryone is extremely nice, and more than willing to walk me through their areas of expertise or give me a hand in an area i am unsure in. . The general attitude of all the employees is very positive and everyone seems very energetic. Management is very intelligent and seems committed to expanding the company. The company is also expanding rapidly.

They also provide free snacks/beverages and do a staff lunch every Thursday which is generous of them.

ConsOther than having to do the occasional intern duties (running basic errands, faxing, etc.), and some occasional connectivity problems with wifi nothing really comes to mind.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix the VGA cable in the conference room.

Dead end

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay and ok benefits

ConsSome rotten managers and technology that is not exciting.

Corporate

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsSmall office with a blend of start-up and tech corporate culture emerging. Think flexible with sustainable resources. Plenty of opportunity to have a career and have some fun. Lots of career oriented people at the Company.

ConsThere have been growing pains of acquisitions and also growing so quickly over the last two years. Those seem to be behind us and we are recruiting and retaining lots of talented people with ideas and the skill sets to grow blinkx to $1.0 B of revenue annually.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet up a one on one mentoring program. Hire more recent college graduates. Start an internship program.

A good learning experience

Content Editor (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsFlexible schedule as I was part time on the weekends and I was able to learn quite a bit about data entry. Was able to work from home or wherever place so long as I had a computer to hook up to to work.

ConsTraining, I feel, should have been more than a day. It'd also have been great if terms were shuffled out in a more timely manner when it's found that there has not been content for quite some time.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt was great working with you all.

Good overall but could use some improvement

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Bellevue, WA (US)

ProsPretty good benefits, compensation is good (if you're a manager or higher or have been there a while), kitchen is always full of food, so it's like free breakfast and lunch, beer days, morale events here are fun and engaging, free parking, co-workers are cool, they really do promote from within, and lots of flexibility and autonomy.

Cons-Some upper management are better than others (some don't listen or ignore your suggestions altogether, but there are some that are open to new ideas), not proactive with increased compensation, there was a reorg recently that have embittered some people, no 401(k) matching, and while some people can telecommute, it's largely discouraged.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate with your employees more. Based on the opinions of the employees and myself, we feel that the company is not transparent enough and everything is always so secretive. Also, listen to your employees; they're the backbone of the company and have good intentions for the company.

Fun place to work in an evolving industry. Great people, excellent location!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsVery welcoming, friendly group. Company is expanding quickly so every day is very exciting. TONS of perks - kitchen snacks, random bagel deliveries, organic fruit every week, catered Thursday lunches, Giants games & happy hours. Adjacent to Embarcadero Bart/Muni station & close to lots of great restaurants & shopping. Great health benefits - this company cares about your health!

ConsSince the company is expanding and changing so quickly, information sometimes does not make it around to all the appropriate people, so that creates room for employee speculation & confusion.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent. I know upper management is busy but try to make sure your employees understand what is changing. I don't know if monthly company meetings satisfy this need as not all branches are included in all information exchanges.

Positive People - Positive Growth - Positive Goals

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

Pros- Free Lunch on Thursday
     - Free Breakfast every day
     - Great Benefits
     - Encourage healthy diets/exercise
     - Collaborative Team Environment
     - Immediate Recognition from Management - hard work doesn't go unnoticed
     - Defined career path with opportunity for tremendous upward mobility
     - AWESOME technology - online video is the future
     - blinkx is setting up groundwork for substantial growth

Cons- Not as much of a market presence as there should be
     - Sometimes confusion between departments throughout the growing pains of acquisition, etc - but this is getting much better.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to use your team to your advantage and recognize the ones who are making this company unique.

Worked for blinkx? Contribute to the Community!