Zynga Reviews

Updated 21 October, 2014
Updated 21 October, 2014

Zynga CEO Don Mattrick
Don Mattrick

Pros
  • Free food & stuff if that is important to you (in 56 reviews)

• Benefits, cool office environment, in house Gym, breakfast, lunch and dinner (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Most employees have a very poor work-life balance, especially around holidays (in 42 reviews)

• Low morale coupled with long hours at my studio (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Not really a good place for engineers

Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Zynga full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun Place to Work , Free Food, Good Opportunities for personal growth, you get to work on games played by thousands of players.

Cons

Not really a good place for engineers. Most engineers get to work on sunset games transitioned from the US with the aim of keeping the revenue stable for some time.
    Company not doing well ans has had multiple layoffs in the past

Company is past its prime but still a decent place to work

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Zynga full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I was at Zynga for more than 4 years. Having joined early, I got to see the company take off and subsequently the recent pains of the past few years.

Knowing all that, my overall experience here has been fairly positive. Things are better for those who joined early however due to receiving more stock and compensation than those who have joined later. Consequently, it seems like a lot of the older folks are still here while those who have been here for a year or two quickly find something else and leave.

The company direction isn't great but if you come into grips with the situation and silo yourself within your immediate group, then you'll find passionate people who really care about what they do and also some of the smartest people I've had the pleasure working for.

And the perks? Awesome. Free food, free gym, shuttles, pretax on transit programs. The culinary department is probably the best performing division and most consistent group within the company. Having been served countless lunches and dinners over the past 4 years, I heartily say thank you to them.

Cons

Direction of the company is not great. Company lacks a culture of innovation and products that the company pushes out are lacking and cannot compare with competitors. I don't see that changing anytime soon unfortunately.

Company has a lot of cash but pivots constantly with constant re-orgs which throw out everything that was previously done. I've had so many teams and managers in the past year that it's frustrating.

My best advice is to put your head down, get what you can and learn what you can, and to not let it bother you too much. Otherwise the politics will and can kill this place for someone.

Having to worry about layoffs all the time suck. Having been through both of them, they were huge morale drainers and made a lot of people jaded about staying, almost to the point of just zombie'ing through their career here. People joke about wanting to stay just to get laid off also and get the severence, not the best work environment to be in.

Embrace innovation and focus

Great place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Zynga full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There's a pretty good work-life balance, depending on the team you're on. The benefits and perks offered are great and the teammates I have worked with are awesome. And there's always the chance that you get to work on interesting tasks.

Cons

Due to cost reduction, some perks were taken away. There's a huge gap between what management says about promotions and raises to what actually happen. Given the recent major changes at the company, in some situations, promotions have simply stalled.

Be mindful about the teams you have and don't go laying off people while hiring for similar positions on other teams.

Terrible culture, terrible people and a terrible product

Former Employee - QA Analyst I
    Former Employee - QA Analyst I

I worked at Zynga as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Free food. Lots of cute puppies around.

Cons

Where to start? Upper management is inept. Games are clones of clones (well done clones, but still). Original thought is not wanted nor needed. Terrible terrible place to work at. The company has been suffering some serious brain drain over the past 3 years as well.

Women and children first. bail sailors, bail bail bail.

Hard, but fun...

I worked at Zynga full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, you learn a lot, and perks are good, but diminishing over time.

Cons

Management is kinda hit or miss, a lot of missed opportunities, some cronyism at the higher levels

Meritocracy means not just taking care of your favorites...it means taking care of the best

Great People, Poor Management

Current Employee - Lead Game Designer
    Current Employee - Lead Game Designer

I have been working at Zynga full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits (food, healthcare, fitness) and great employees (the people who are actually making the games)

Cons

Management at the team level is sadly terrible. The group of GMs and high level managers that have remained with Zynga are still trying to use strategies from 2008 to determine how to move forward in a completely different game market.

I have never worked for a more cliquey company in my entire career. I have watched people with little to no experience be promoted to senior and lead positions simply because they had worked with a particular manager on another project. I shouldn't have to hold a "senior" anyone's hand when using Microsoft Word or Perforce.

Some long-term Zyngites seem oblivious to the troubles the company has had. The frequency in which I heard people brush off layoffs and other cuts in a nonchalant, casual manner was disturbing.

When a team has three creative directors but no one to actually implement the vision then perhaps it is time to rethink the org chart.

Loved it! Great coworkers-Lots of talent.

I worked at Zynga full-time

Pros

Great games, Free food, bonuses, gym

Cons

Upper management treats employees like they are numbers. You never know when your project will get cut and you are out of a job-- no matter how good you are.

Talent and people are HUGE assets. Respect them, they are not mere numbers. They are what drive the company.

Clueless Monster

Current Employee - Customer Service Lead
    Current Employee - Customer Service Lead

I have been working at Zynga full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A gaming giant inevitably - Who can forget FarmVille? Who doesn't know Country Escape?

Cons

Recently it all came down to money. If it generates money - Retain. If it doesn't - Close. Politics is everywhere but for sure in this place its very intense. Meritocracy applies for favorites, not for performers. Most, if not all managers are clueless on what and how the frontliners are doing. They are merely email respondents telling to follow up a request.

Get some people from your other sites and or BPO partners! Learn how to appreciate and retain talent and value them!

Got too political

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Zynga full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company had a great culture and great benefits. Was there 3+ years and during its best years it was energetic and exciting (those days are no longer).

Cons

Politics, Inappropriate Managerial Level Ups, too much focus on quick-win Quarterly OKR achievement and the premium placed on quarterly level-ups made longer term planning impossible and irrelevant. Also, I watched first-hand, decisions made which hurt their customers in order to squeeze an extra $.

It's a marathon not a sprint.

Was an amazing ride... until.

I worked at Zynga full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I was one of the first 300 employees and was upwardly mobile for quite sometime
    Bonuses, perks galore, travel, stocks as hiring bonus....

...(which split 4 times)

Cons

Never got the raise and the title I was promised once they went public!
    I was told that because I had real stock then that was considered against my wage and that I should feel lucky! It was a hiring bonus in lieu of not being paid market!!!! Disgruntled

Management at Zynga was like a revolving door of Egotistical jerks after my original manager left.
    IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T CONTINUE TO TRY AND FIX IT!!!!