Zynga Reviews

Updated 16 October, 2014
Updated 16 October, 2014

Zynga CEO Don Mattrick
Don Mattrick

Pros
  • Free food & stuff if that is important to you (in 56 reviews)

• Benefits, cool office environment, in house Gym, breakfast, lunch and dinner (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Most employees have a very poor work-life balance, especially around holidays (in 42 reviews)

• Low morale coupled with long hours at my studio (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

fine company

I worked at Zynga

Pros

good culture, nice people, good benefits

Cons

lack of perspective, not really stable

Great place to work on casual games

Current Employee - Producer in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Producer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Zynga full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits and everyone works as a team to get things done.

Cons

Upper management seems directionless and don't know how to create any new games except for FarmVille.

Stop copying other games.
    Commit to new ideas.

Good benefits

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Zynga full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of smart co-workers.

Good benefits.

Company provides breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Happy hours on Fridays.

Management is reasonable.

Cons

Depending on the project teams, some teams need to work longer hours than usual.

disrespectful and disappointing

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Zynga full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Food
    Bring your dog to work

Cons

- Very little accountability across all the levels. Layer after layer of bullshitting leads to one after another horrible management decisions. Lack of self-awareness of the business (or forced to jack up the numbers). If you aim for building up your integrity and expertise, this is not where you want to start your career
    - Culture of disrespect creates a hostile atmosphere. If you can't handle personal attack and finger pointing, it's better for you to stay away from zynga
    - No transparency in performance review and promotion. They throw titles at people's face when people want to leave . Thus most people there with the word "Manager" "Director in their titles don't know how to develop and lead a team at all. Ironically, this mid-management team with inflated title will not hesitate to dress their team members down in front of crowds or behind close doors.

Show some respect to people's hard work and LISTEN to what people are talking about. At the end of the day, fancy office doesn't matter, the so called zynga speed doesn't matter, how many people got promoted or kicked out doesn't matter. What matters is to make ONE goddamn good game

Sweatshopville

Former Employee - Slave
    Former Employee - Slave

I worked at Zynga full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

you got free t-shirts and they used to have all the snacks you could eat, but then cut back on that.

Cons

they claim to rely heavily on metrics, but ignore the metrics in favor of hoping real hard that things will magically get better. slow to adjust to new information, willing to manipulate and scam users, and devoid of any bold ideas.

close up shop. prior to the new ceo coming in, they were dead in the water. stagnant. afraid. living in the past. culture of "meritocracy" didn't work because middle management stole credit for good ideas and hard work in order to keep their bonuses high, until bonuses were cut anyway.

Zynga does allow for a high level of autonomy and ownership of product.

I have been working at Zynga

Pros

Benefits, People, Environment, Perks, Variability

Cons

Company is transitioning and the culture, roles and responsibilities are transitioning to more of an EA model.

Great benefits, but lacking direction and career development

I have been working at Zynga full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits (medical/dental premium covered 100%, amazing food from the culinary staff, great coffee, snacks)

Cons

While Don Mattrick and other executives focus on hiring their friends into senior management positions, we continue to lose tons of talented employees who do the actual work on our products (engineers, PMs, designers).

Most of the employees I know haven't received a significant title change or real salary bump in more than two years. And I don't see this changing anytime soon.

Constant reorganizations and priority changes derail any progress teams are making. Teams are expected to be in a constant crunch mode, and we are given very little clarity on the company's priorities. Employees doing the day-to-day work are asked to do more with less—meanwhile the company continues to aggressively hire senior managers and directors who don't actually help with the production of games. This strategy does nothing but add additional layers of unnecessary bureaucracy that make our jobs even harder.

Big decisions seem to be made on a whim, causing lots of thrash as teams scramble to comply with the executive "idea of the week" and delay progress on milestones that really matter. It seems like with every project we are reinventing the wheel with respect to the software development process. None of this process, and none of the key questions to ask during that process, should be new to anyone in management at a software company!

Morale at the company seems to be at an all-time low. You often hear stories about Zynga's earlier years where people were excited to work hard and stay late at the office. It's just not the case now. People cheer with excitement for one another when they hear a friend found a job elsewhere.

You need to understand how much you make teams scramble on a day-to-day basis with strange requests and questions asked on a whim that pull entire teams off important work so their managers and executives can save face.

We need more quality control and innovation in our products and in our leadership practices.

Management needs to seriously consider the impact attrition is having on our work culture. When you see great colleagues leaving every week, it makes you really question your position.

Great place to be a PM. Terrible place for creatives.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Zynga full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great food, liberal vacation policy (if you can use it), little red tape, smart people, good location, bike and dog friendly.

Cons

Broken design culture, PM dominated decision making, short term focus, poor bonuses, mediocre salaries, brutal workloads, terrible team management, constant barking, high turnover, lots of politics and yes-men.

Make games people will love playing and people will love making. Pay employees wages needed to live in San Francisco. Profit share more. Stop wasting your employees. Stop making copies and create something original.

Great resources at your disposal, but plagued with never-ending reorgs.

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Zynga full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Access to real-time data really strengthens the decision-making capabilities. Resources available to do job and perform well. A lot of flexibility given to employees. Lots of great perks (food, gym, dogs, fun building). Fun work environment in a fun building and great city location.

Cons

Constantly plagued with reorgs and leadership changes, impeding on team building opportunities and career growth. Bonuses aren't regular or completely transparent. Losing a bit of the work hard / play hard edge.

We need more excitement from our new CEO.

Not really a good place for engineers

Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Zynga full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun Place to Work , Free Food, Good Opportunities for personal growth, you get to work on games played by thousands of players.

Cons

Not really a good place for engineers. Most engineers get to work on sunset games transitioned from the US with the aim of keeping the revenue stable for some time.
    Company not doing well ans has had multiple layoffs in the past