Zynga Reviews

Updated 29 August, 2014
Updated 29 August, 2014

Zynga CEO Don Mattrick
Don Mattrick

Pros
  • Free food and snacks are good and did offset some of the salary cut the pre-ipo hired took (in 52 reviews)

• Benefits, cool office environment, in house Gym, breakfast, lunch and dinner (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Most employees have a very poor work-life balance, especially around holidays (in 40 reviews)

• Low morale coupled with long hours at my studio (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

Great benefits and coworkers

Former Employee - UI Designer
    Former Employee - UI Designer

I worked at Zynga full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits- health, sick time, competitive salary, etc.
    Great facilities- kitchen, snacks, game rooms, hardware
    Mostly great people - talented and fun coworkers

Cons

Lots of restructuring and shifting.
    Industry based on franchise hits.
    Analytics drive EVERYTHING.

Absolutely dreadful.

Former Employee - Customer Support
    Former Employee - Customer Support

I worked at Zynga full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free food, health benefits, decent pay depending on location.

Cons

If you do not work for the HQ, do not expect your voice to be recognized. You will be forever stuck in a loop where "US matters more", and none of your projects will ever be considered seriously. There is a LOT of red tape going on, HR despite being nice people are just puppets who hand out forms and don't know how to handle employees who haven't been brainwashed by Zynga's corporate speech. Career opportunities are inexistant unless you are a "yes" man. Never have I felt so useless than when I was working for Zynga.

Why open international offices if you're not willing to take into account the feedback of your international teams? Zynga is a big company and it is somewhat complicated to take everyone's opinions into account, but it looks like everyone in the upper management does their best at ignoring any rising issues and focus on irrelevant metrics. Listen to global feedback.

Great place to work on casual games

Current Employee - Producer  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Producer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Zynga full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits and everyone works as a team to get things done.

Cons

Upper management seems directionless and don't know how to create any new games except for FarmVille.

Stop copying other games.
    Commit to new ideas.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

fine company

I worked at Zynga

Pros

good culture, nice people, good benefits

Cons

lack of perspective, not really stable

Good benefits

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Zynga full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of smart co-workers.

Good benefits.

Company provides breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Happy hours on Fridays.

Management is reasonable.

Cons

Depending on the project teams, some teams need to work longer hours than usual.

Stay away from chaos

Current Employee - Art Director  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Art Director in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Zynga full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

breakfast, food, beers and snacks

Cons

politically charge atmosphere in SF, terrible management and lack of visions,

Drop all the Ville games that all look similar, Don likes cash and not actually fixing the place.

disrespectful and disappointing

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Zynga full-time for more than a year

Pros

Food
    Bring your dog to work

Cons

- Very little accountability across all the levels. Layer after layer of bullshitting leads to one after another horrible management decisions. Lack of self-awareness of the business (or forced to jack up the numbers). If you aim for building up your integrity and expertise, this is not where you want to start your career
    - Culture of disrespect creates a hostile atmosphere. If you can't handle personal attack and finger pointing, it's better for you to stay away from zynga
    - No transparency in performance review and promotion. They throw titles at people's face when people want to leave . Thus most people there with the word "Manager" "Director in their titles don't know how to develop and lead a team at all. Ironically, this mid-management team with inflated title will not hesitate to dress their team members down in front of crowds or behind close doors.

Show some respect to people's hard work and LISTEN to what people are talking about. At the end of the day, fancy office doesn't matter, the so called zynga speed doesn't matter, how many people got promoted or kicked out doesn't matter. What matters is to make ONE goddamn good game

Sweatshopville

Former Employee - Slave
    Former Employee - Slave

I worked at Zynga full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

you got free t-shirts and they used to have all the snacks you could eat, but then cut back on that.

Cons

they claim to rely heavily on metrics, but ignore the metrics in favor of hoping real hard that things will magically get better. slow to adjust to new information, willing to manipulate and scam users, and devoid of any bold ideas.

close up shop. prior to the new ceo coming in, they were dead in the water. stagnant. afraid. living in the past. culture of "meritocracy" didn't work because middle management stole credit for good ideas and hard work in order to keep their bonuses high, until bonuses were cut anyway.

Exhausting, high-pressure environment

Former Employee - Product Manager
    Former Employee - Product Manager

I worked at Zynga full-time

Pros

Challenging work, opportunities to work with large-scale analytic data, and a very fast turnaround from ideas to action. Free food & stuff if that is important to you. Fun co-workers.

Cons

Very, very tiring. Relentless demands on your time - late nights, weekend work, always feeling like you're behind. Pay was better than other options by say 20%, but easily worked 40% more than other positions = you're getting paid less for your time, which is your life.

Great benefits, but lacking direction and career development

I have been working at Zynga full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits (medical/dental premium covered 100%, amazing food from the culinary staff, great coffee, snacks)

Cons

While Don Mattrick and other executives focus on hiring their friends into senior management positions, we continue to lose tons of talented employees who do the actual work on our products (engineers, PMs, designers).

Most of the employees I know haven't received a significant title change or real salary bump in more than two years. And I don't see this changing anytime soon.

Constant reorganizations and priority changes derail any progress teams are making. Teams are expected to be in a constant crunch mode, and we are given very little clarity on the company's priorities. Employees doing the day-to-day work are asked to do more with less—meanwhile the company continues to aggressively hire senior managers and directors who don't actually help with the production of games. This strategy does nothing but add additional layers of unnecessary bureaucracy that make our jobs even harder.

Big decisions seem to be made on a whim, causing lots of thrash as teams scramble to comply with the executive "idea of the week" and delay progress on milestones that really matter. It seems like with every project we are reinventing the wheel with respect to the software development process. None of this process, and none of the key questions to ask during that process, should be new to anyone in management at a software company!

Morale at the company seems to be at an all-time low. You often hear stories about Zynga's earlier years where people were excited to work hard and stay late at the office. It's just not the case now. People cheer with excitement for one another when they hear a friend found a job elsewhere.

You need to understand how much you make teams scramble on a day-to-day basis with strange requests and questions asked on a whim that pull entire teams off important work so their managers and executives can save face.

We need more quality control and innovation in our products and in our leadership practices.

Management needs to seriously consider the impact attrition is having on our work culture. When you see great colleagues leaving every week, it makes you really question your position.

Worked for Zynga? Contribute to the Community!