Zynga

Zynga Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Zynga CEO Don Mattrick

Don Mattrick

Pros:
  • "Free food and snacks are good and did offset some of the salary cut the pre-ipo hired took"
    in 48 reviews
  • "Benefits, cool office environment, in house Gym, breakfast, lunch and dinner"
    in 21 reviews
Cons:
  • "Most employees have a very poor work-life balance, especially around holidays"
    in 38 reviews
  • "Long hours, exhaustion, some mandatory weekends that are arbitrarily chosen"
    in 25 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

UI designer

UI Designer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Zynga full-time for more than a year

Prosgreat talent to work with

Consthere are some remote office communication issue

review of zynga

I have been working at Zynga

Prosnice environment as a whole

Consdoesnt feel right from time to time

Good at first, downhill after that

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Zynga full-time for more than a year

Pros- Lots of smart people
- Very interesting projects
- Decent enough office
- Good life work balance, none of the crazy forced hours seen in SF

Cons- Culture, over time, started to become more and more like the one in SF
- Managers have no idea what their reports are working on
- Bonuses, awards, etc are all very much tied to how well you can play the game and suck up to those in charge. Hard work gets you nowhere if you don't make sure people know about it
- The people at the top of the company are an embarrassment who act like children
- Too many inter-team politics, things are not done for the greater good but rather for the good of various teams and/or individuals

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople are not happy with how things are run, listen to them or you will keep loosing talent.

Fun environment.. sometimes

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsFree food
Happy hour on Fridays
Get to work with some of the newest technologies
Super smart co-workers

ConsLots of constant pressure to meet arbitrary deadlines
Quality is not a priority in the end product
Management has very little visibility on who is actually doing a good job
Perks are getting less and less and noticeably less month to month

Advice to Senior ManagementThe culture needs to change now! Smaller development teams and with a purpose. Too many project managers. We don't need 3 PM's when there's only 4 developers!

Surrounded by greatness

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Zynga full-time for more than a year

ProsI work with incredibly bright, passionate people ever day.

ConsOur stock price seems to be in a real slump.

Great company to work!

I have been working at Zynga full-time for more than a year

ProsAwesome work culture with full of fun. Benefits are great: food, beverages, gym.

Not for everyone, but has been great for me

San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Zynga full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMy current team is awesome. The company cut a lot of the fat (not all) and I landed on a team with veterans from the game industry. Benefits are great: food, beverages, gym, showers, and team offsites. Time-off is flexible as long as employees work it out with their team for full timers. Compensation has been restructured - it's way more fair than before and teams that haven't launched or who do not create games have compensation opportunities. My work life balance is perfect right now (although it wasn't always that way). Most importantly, the management on my team is AMAZING. My boss is the best I've ever had and is helping me grow in my career as a game maker (not just a Zynga employee).

ConsGoing from start up to a corporate game company was very rough for everyone we've been through a lot of growing pains. When I started, much of the management was very young and inexperienced so they didn't know how to make the transition work. We are still recovering from teams being run by business people and not by game makers who understand the business (albeit it is improving). We lost some great talent from the layoffs, but tbh, many would have left anyway. Several people that have left have moved from start up to start up and get nostalgic about this place, so it really depends on an individuals experience. While some managers are amazing, there are still others that are terrible (but with a company this large, of course it isn't perfect, even though there is no excuse for it). Zynga is a great place to be or the worst depending on who's POV you ask.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more autonomy and ownership to your teams. Focus on making fun games FIRST and then layer on the money making levers second. People will buy a great game for it's intrinsic value. Enforce personal growth opportunities and be okay with employees who just want to kick butt in their current level of work, AND reward them both.

Analytics first, games second

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Zynga full-time for less than a year

ProsOn site gym, decent free lunches, smart employees, well-structured teams, solid compensation

Conszero passion for games, some problems with work life balance, constant barking

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're a games company. Keep your focus on metrics, but hire some people who have a passion for games, not just money.

Good place to work, bad place to grow

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Zynga full-time for more than a year

ProsWork is challenging and fun, learns a lot. Team is fun and friendly.

ConsManagement and decision making becomes horrible after the company is going down and desperately looking for a way out. Lots of talented people left.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be so political.

Worked there pre-Farmville; incredibly smart colleagues

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Zynga

ProsSmart people with whom to work; people worked incredibly hard; demanding environment

ConsLearned a ton; very little challenging that I could see of CEO

Advice to Senior ManagementNot relevant as left several years ago.

Worked for Zynga? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Zynga reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Zynga CEO Don Mattrick. All 302 reviews are posted anonymously by Zynga employees.