Zynga

Updated 21 January, 2015
Updated 21 January, 2015

Zynga CEO Don Mattrick
Don Mattrick

Pros
  • Free food & stuff if that is important to you (in 57 reviews)

• Benefits, cool office environment, in house Gym, breakfast, lunch and dinner (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Most employees have a very poor work-life balance, especially around holidays (in 42 reviews)

• Low morale coupled with long hours at my studio (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Huge Learning Experience

I worked at Zynga

Pros

Great perks, Lots of personal growth

Cons

Emotional atmosphere of the company after all of the bad press

Keep following through with the vision set in place

UI designer

Current Employee - UI Designer in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - UI Designer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Zynga full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great talent to work with

Cons

there are some remote office communication issue

review of zynga

I have been working at Zynga

Pros

nice environment as a whole

Cons

doesnt feel right from time to time

Fun environment.. sometimes

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Zynga full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free food
    Happy hour on Fridays
    Get to work with some of the newest technologies
    Super smart co-workers

Cons

Lots of constant pressure to meet arbitrary deadlines
    Quality is not a priority in the end product
    Management has very little visibility on who is actually doing a good job
    Perks are getting less and less and noticeably less month to month

The culture needs to change now! Smaller development teams and with a purpose. Too many project managers. We don't need 3 PM's when there's only 4 developers!

Good at first, downhill after that

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I worked at Zynga full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Lots of smart people
    - Very interesting projects
    - Decent enough office
    - Good life work balance, none of the crazy forced hours seen in SF

Cons

- Culture, over time, started to become more and more like the one in SF
    - Managers have no idea what their reports are working on
    - Bonuses, awards, etc are all very much tied to how well you can play the game and suck up to those in charge. Hard work gets you nowhere if you don't make sure people know about it
    - The people at the top of the company are an embarrassment who act like children
    - Too many inter-team politics, things are not done for the greater good but rather for the good of various teams and/or individuals

People are not happy with how things are run, listen to them or you will keep loosing talent.

Surrounded by greatness

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Zynga full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I work with incredibly bright, passionate people ever day.

Cons

Our stock price seems to be in a real slump.

Wasn't always a great job, but they're a great employer

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Zynga full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Two meals were catered every day, and special care was taken to accommodate anyone's dietary restrictions.

I worked in a room full of very experienced game developers from all walks of the industry, including a few legends from my childhood.

For the most part, everyone was friendly, helpful, and invested in helping you succeed. Even when the whole team is stuck in the office because your update keeps failing QA at midnight, they come to you to see how they can help, rather than complaining.

Zynga offers unlimited/untracked PTO for vacations and sick leave. Their official vacation policy was "You should probably take some." In an industry notorious for working developers to death, Zynga producers were known for pulling people aside and telling them to go away for a week or two for a vacation. And if a producer asks you to stay late to finish something, they'll sometimes offer you a day or two off in exchange. The whole office basically shuts down from before christmas through the new year.

Cons

Not a lot of original IP or creativity, in some aspects of their games. Also, the product managers are making game design decisions based solely on market statistics.

Try to keep on top of bonuses and and leveling up for your teams.

Great learning experience

Former Employee - (Software Developer) in Bangalore (India)
    Former Employee - (Software Developer) in Bangalore (India)

I worked at Zynga as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere
    Helpful team members
    Encouragement to think of your own ideas

Cons

None that I faced during my internship

A Dysfunctional Step Towards Better Pastures

I worked at Zynga as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

+ If you can successfully do your job here, you can probably successfully do your job anywhere
    + Doglovers' paradise
    + Baristas at the free espresso bar were basically wizards of their craft
    + Actually, the entire culinary team is incredible. Eat their food any chance you get, especially the snacks made in-house: pickles, coconut granola, beef jerky, ice cream, etc. Stuff it in your bag, fill your cheeks with it like a deranged hamster. Their food is so good.
    + Actually actually, the entire facilities team is stupendous! Do you know how hard it is to keep a place as huge as Zynga is clean, secure, and running smoothly? Facilities staff are the unsung heroes of this story, guys.
    + Convenient free shuttles to BART, Caltrain, and down the Peninsula
    + I loved my team. LOVED. Greatest group of people I've ever worked with. Sadly, I'm not evaluating them; I'm evaluating the company.

Cons

Look, this place is what it is: a stepping stone; a place to refine one's skills in the fire before heading out for that real dream job - and they know it. The turnover/attrition rate here is unbelievably high - if you've worked at Zynga for a year, you've done some serious time. The recruiting team tries to keep the staffing numbers up and oftentimes relies on bringing in non-local candidates. Zynga's rep in the Bay Area has been torched so badly, the local workforce (and those who are tuned into the goings on of the tech and gaming industries) know to stay away. So we look out-of-state, for candidates who want to move to the Bay Area and just need a way in. Once they get here, work a couple of months and find a place to live, they get the hell out and into a more reputable company.

I was a contractor for them. A good portion of the "expendable" workers (aka: anyone not a software engineer) are. That way, once leadership looks at its quarterly/EOY reports and decides that it's been bleeding money and needs to tighten up, it's easy to sweep out the chaff, without needing to go through the fuss of actually laying off FT employees and paying severance. My boss had no notice that me and four of my coworkers were going to be cut; she had no say in who was going to be cut.

As a contractor, I was also sometimes on the outside looking in: I couldn't attend the company holiday party unless I was a FTE's +1, I wasn't allowed to use the (awesome) company gym, and I got none of the supposedly-lovely benefits and generous vacation policy. That's pretty standard for contractor work, I guess. I'm just spoiled and grumping about that.

Leadership: I know you know that Zynga is dysfunctional and broken. I know you know your reputation. Why do you continually ignore the fact that you're bleeding out? I was here for a short time, in a limited capacity. If I couldn't even really see the leaders trying to lead, how is the public supposed to see it?

Assess and address your apathetic and disillusioned workforce and commit to being strong and honest leaders. Don't perform triage anymore; you're beyond that stage and you know it.

Forgotten how to make games

Former Employee - Senior Game
    Former Employee - Senior Game

I worked at Zynga

Pros

Decent pay and benefits, good food, still some talented folks working there. San Francisco is a great city. If you're young, political and hip you can get ahead fast.

Cons

They don't make games any more, and the ones they do make nobody wants to play. The management is corrupt and incompetent, and people survive by torpedoing projects rather than making them. It's far more important to be cool than it is to be competent. They hate older workers. People from other game companies no longer respect time spent at Zynga (but it does gain you sympathy).

Make some games and release them. See who is actually productive and who is really good at making noise in meetings. Hipness is not a substitute for ability to produce, and older workers actually have useful things to contribute.