Zynga

Zynga Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Zynga CEO Don Mattrick

Don Mattrick

Pros:
  • "Free food and snacks are good and did offset some of the salary cut the pre-ipo hired took"
    in 48 reviews
  • "Benefits, cool office environment, in house Gym, breakfast, lunch and dinner"
    in 21 reviews
Cons:
  • "Most employees have a very poor work-life balance, especially around holidays"
    in 38 reviews
  • "Long hours, exhaustion, some mandatory weekends that are arbitrarily chosen"
    in 25 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great place to work with.

QA Engineer I (Current Employee)
Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Zynga full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat work environment.
Liberal in working hours.
Less stress
High Standards

ConsPolitics and Bad review of skills.

Recruiting Coordinator

I have been working at Zynga as a contractor

Prosflexible hours, recruiters are helpful

ConsBeing a contractor is terrible--no benefits, can't be involved in Zynga activities, can't use the gym..ect

Sr. Manager

Senior Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Zynga full-time for more than a year

ProsEnjoyed my time at Zynga. Great benefits and smart people.

ConsTo many unhappy employees dragging everyone down. Zynga speed is slow. Company needs to step it up to compete with start-up minded competitors.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood luck.

Terrible senior management making awful decisions

Designer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Zynga full-time for more than 3 years

ProsComp is on the higher end for gaming companies, but on the lower end relative to other public tech companies.

There are some good folks remaining but they're all leaving like flies.

It used to have good perks when I started, but they have gotten rid of a lot of them (no more massages, haircuts, they also laid off my trainer in December).

ConsLowest morale in all of SF and Silicon Valley right now. The last round of layoffs ended up cutting some of the best performers at Zynga (HR and C suite's decision-making abilities are questionable), leaving behind some cheaper but very mediocre performers.

My studio has too many leads and too political to get anything done.

All upper management cares about is pleasing the investors (not their players or employees). They haven't been able to ship a good mobile title organically, so they tap into their free cash flow and acquire other mobile gaming companies while cutting headcount. Great for the bottom line temporarily, but terrible in the long-run because some of the top performers are gone and you cannot make great games without them.

They always claim there will not be more layoffs but a 18% layoffs occurred in May and an 15% layoffs occurred in late January. Do not believe anything upper management says anymore.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour last round of layoffs was done carelessly. You cut some great performers and kept some very medicore performers to save several grand per year for each employee. Now the rest of us is struggling to keep afloat in an already terrible environment.

Your investors-first policy is only great in inflating the stock price. In a good market like this, most of your talent would not bother staying even if they have not been laid off.

Zynga offers fair salaries

Senior Artist (Former Employee)
Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Zynga full-time for more than a year

ProsSalary was competitive overall. I had the opportunity to work with some very talented people

ConsCompany's products are mediocre; their catalogue is filled with too many tap grinders and slots style games.

fun work environment, smart engineers, (very) poor managers

Prosfree food
flexible vacation policy - if you use it!
some really smart engineers solving problems as scale
Don is making decisions which are impacting the stock price in a positive way (atleast for now)

Consmiddle and top management highly inexperienced - which fail to motivate high performers, and end up losing them.
Since IPO has been highly unstable, and too many re-orgs every quarter.
Compensation might have been good, if stock value had gotten north of IPO price (by comparison other tech startups are trading at 100-150% above IPO)
office politics & you need to know the right people/ be in the right team to get noticed for your performance - no longer a meritocracy.
Too many layoffs in the past 6-8 months, and the upper management has failed to deliver a consistent future plan.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave experienced and stellar engineers as Engineering Managers/Senior Engineering Managers - who are hands on and can motivate team members and steer them towards a strong career in engineering.

The best place I've ever worked at. Think about my Z family often.

I worked at Zynga full-time for more than 3 years

Pros-Incredible amount of drive, intellectual horsepower and fun co workers.
-We had an insatiable appetite to win and learn as much as we could.
-Company felt like it operated in a unified front for many years
-Quarterly rewards/recognition
-incredibly talented culinary team & holistic health care services
-Transparent CEO (at the time Mark) who had a passion for people and the product
-Very approachable and personable leadership team
-We worked long hours for something we believed in (the sweatshop comments are hilarious). No one forces you to work long hours. If you can cultivate an environment where people truly care and put in the amount of effort - it's a pro in my book.
-Some of the smartest most down to earth folks you can work with in the valley

Cons-We were trailblazing an industry with social games and there was a lot changes in that drop of a dime
-We could have done earlier training/dev of management to prepare for the rapid growth
-No sophisticated system in place to track how often comp wasn't reviewed

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on the people that have maintained focus and dedication to the product. We are all still rooting for you!

Great people and a fantastic learning experience.

Studio Operations (Current Employee)

I have been working at Zynga full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFast paced, meritocracy and good compensation/perks

Constoo many re-orgs, no clear strategy from c-staff

Advice to Senior Managementpick one strategy and org structure and stick with it

The ads team had great leadership and the coworkers were experts in their field. I learned a lot and had fun doing so!

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Seattle, WA (US)

Pros+ Great coworkers
+ Great office atmosphere
+ Free lunches and snacks
+ Excellent benefits

Cons- The company's currently in transition which can randomize you at the high level some times.
- Code quality varies from team to team. Some partner teams might not be as fun to work with at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo Don: Keep cracking the whip and running a tight ship. In the process of running the business though, don't forget about the games!

Good culture, perks & compensation / shaky decision making.

I worked at Zynga full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat people, fun culture, good compensation and great benefits.

ConsPoor decision making by management, didn't pivot strategy post IPO quick enough. Industry indicators were there for awhile before things started to change.

Worked for Zynga? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Zynga reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Zynga CEO Don Mattrick. All 302 reviews are posted anonymously by Zynga employees.