Zynga

Zynga Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Zynga CEO Don Mattrick

Don Mattrick

Pros
  • Free food and snacks are good and did offset some of the salary cut the pre-ipo hired took(in 52 reviews)

• Benefits, cool office environment, in house Gym, breakfast, lunch and dinner(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Most employees have a very poor work-life balance, especially around holidays(in 40 reviews)

• Low morale coupled with long hours at my studio(in 25 reviews)

Fun and frustrating place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsCompetitive compensation, excellent food, talented co-workers, rapid knowledge sharing and potential for great opportunities made this an amazing job overall.

Consthe few downsides were - meritocracy was broken from the perspective of an employee that endured a tough work life balance on multiple projects without much opportunity for advancement. Painful to watch executive management during my time there. Products that lacked originality in more than one case. Team direction pivoted so much it was often hard to move forward - ironic because it really was a fast paced environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep focusing on franchises but go after a truly original and innovative game idea every once in a while.

Pretty okay but could be better

QA Engineer (Former Employee) Austin, TX (US)

Pros- Free lunches and food
    - Fast paced enviroment
    - Good people

Cons- Lots of company politics
    - Not very stable business model

Advice to Senior ManagementNot sure there is much to say here. Zynga is built on free-to-play which to me is not a long term business model.

Great place thats needs a little more direction

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsSmart bright people willing to execute and push hard to deliver on time.

ConsManagement leadership is lacking due to experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire industry veterans to drive the very capable engineering staff.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Meh...

Executive Producer (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsGreat comp, and RSUs are great.

ConsManagement is continually "pivoting" and doesn't seem to know what direction to go in

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust the people you have hired, you have some amazing EPs and GMs and then you completely hamstring them with a craptacular new IP process, and no ability to innovate.

Clueless Monster

Customer Service Lead (Current Employee)

ProsA gaming giant inevitably - Who can forget FarmVille? Who doesn't know Country Escape?

ConsRecently it all came down to money. If it generates money - Retain. If it doesn't - Close. Politics is everywhere but for sure in this place its very intense. Meritocracy applies for favorites, not for performers. Most, if not all managers are clueless on what and how the frontliners are doing. They are merely email respondents telling to follow up a request.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some people from your other sites and or BPO partners! Learn how to appreciate and retain talent and value them!

Getting much better

ProsGreat people, new leadership with a plan, lots of opportunity, good work-life balance with necessary crunch times, agile and experienced teams to collaborate with.

ConsStill some uncertainty, data driven tactics limit creative risks

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on a clear roadmap and stick to it. Give employees stability. Foster an "I could retire here" feeling to stand out in the industry and attract top veteran talent.

a good company for you to level up your skills

Product Manager (Current Employee) Beijing, Beijing (China)

Prosthe work environment is comparably good
    people you're working with are nice & smart
    you're free to learn more in whatever internal area you're interested

Consstrategy is not correct & speedy enough
    too many titles have been cut in creation
    less opportunities for you to level up in some divisions

Advice to Senior Managementallow employees to gain more personal growth

A Bachelor’s in Business Politics

(Former Employee)

ProsUsed to staff some of the best minds in the business to learn and work with. Now a great place to be working in the industry if you believe the game part of games takes a back seat to business priorities. A data lover's dream. Great perks and benefits including a great vacation policy. If you find the time to use it..

ConsA constraining place to work in a creative capacity…all of it stifled by business priorities. Zynga saw a gradual migration of employees from other industry conglomerates shortly after their big game success who now occupy the upper management ranks. They brought much of the politics they claimed to run from with them. Other company leaders wised up and left long ago. Employees must have worked directly with these managers or risk being layoff targets.

They hire for the job, not the employee except in very specific cases and job functions (seen them cut top tier engineers but not mediocre product/market analysts). If your game starts failing management will see you as fat to be trimmed rather than investigate whether you were one of the few actively keeping an imminent disaster from happening until it was impossible to prevent. A disaster management probably caused.

Management did not exercise any professional means of evaluating employees during my time, and in many cases looked to an employee's prior reputation in the industry. It is why the last layoffs in January were done shoddily to save a few dollars and lost most of the top talent not networked with the upper management regime. Now they struggle to retain the remaining true talented employees and many left since the last layoffs.

After they realized the cuts were too deep trying to satisfy the Street, I was called weeks later with an offer for my old job and it took serious restraint not to hang up.

Letting go of what they need to satisfy ultra short term business goals is characteristic of the company. There was concern when they replaced the CEO with someone even more conservative and money-minded. After seeing no change in management or investors I share the concerns of my former coworkers.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more responsibility but take more risks too.

Good for chilling out , no technical work

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Bangalore (India)

ProsAwesome , i think ultimate food
    Good amount of Swags
    Good Salary(Initially when you join)
    Extra curriculars

ConsNon Technical work , only copy paste(Atleast in India center)
    Pathetic or no salary hikes

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you hire people for Bangalore center , tell them exactly what they have to do , I have seen your HRs just making them speak with some people who will tell them lies about work just to make join. This should not be happening.

Senior management makes decisions based on what is best for investor not player or employee!

Senior Product Manager (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsRelatively high comp for gaming but lower end compared to other tech companies.

Food is good. Facilities people are super friendly!

ConsVery top heavy in certain studios where little gets done since everyone wants his/her voice heard.

Terrible work/life balance.

Short-term decisions made before end of each quarter to drive revenue. Some of these decisions were not beneficial to the game in the long-term.

My studio was super cliquey: if you didn't suck up to the GM or senior people, consider yourself a layoffs target despite good performance.

Layoffs in January were done unthought fully - purely to let investors know we are cutting costs and yet started to hire for the roles right away. Many of the individuals cut were some of the most talented employees we had!

Advice to Senior ManagementSooner or later, Wall Street will see that you are simply just checking off all the boxes to lift stock prices in the short term.

Worked for Zynga? Contribute to the Community!