Zynga

Zynga Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Zynga CEO Don Mattrick

Don Mattrick

Pros:
  • "Free food and snacks are good and did offset some of the salary cut the pre-ipo hired took"
    in 48 reviews
  • "Benefits, cool office environment, in house Gym, breakfast, lunch and dinner"
    in 21 reviews
Cons:
  • "Most employees have a very poor work-life balance, especially around holidays"
    in 38 reviews
  • "Long hours, exhaustion, some mandatory weekends that are arbitrarily chosen"
    in 25 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Exciting, Fun space

Quality Assurance Intern (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Zynga as an intern for less than a year

ProsFree food! Fun people and a lot of cool projects

ConsNot too many actually, although sometimes you will have to stay into the night to finish launches depending on your team

challenging work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Zynga

Prosvery high compensation, lots of opportunity to take ownership and be promoted. challenging work.

Consfast paced, high stress, company didnt do well after a while. ipo really deflated the company.

Good place to work. Lots of nice perks. Good experience.

I have been working at Zynga full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Free food
- Onsite gym
- Decent salaries

Cons- Occasional grinds
- Young managers who aren't good at career planning for individual contributors

Thanks Zynga, it was fun!

Office Manager (Former Employee)
Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Zynga full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat benefits, great co-workers, work-life balance was definitely better than most tech companies (IMO), fun, vibrant, always changing work flow.

ConsManagement decisions that seemed half hazard or last minute, lack of clear goals or direction for the long haul, no "level up" or mentoring possibilities for anyone who is NOT an Engineer, volatile environment (fearful, worrisome, unsteady footing).

Advice to Senior ManagementI loved my time at Zynga Seattle and wouldn't trade it for anything. I also wish the company the very best going forward, I hope Z can pull out of their seeming tail-spin and right itself for the long haul. My co-workers (the team of folks I worked with in Seattle, at HQ, and other remotes) were AMAZING people, some of the best I've ever had the pleasure to work with or for. I hope you'll remember that when making decisions to close locations or shut down departments in the future. You can't "create" good people, be careful how quick you are to cut them loose.

Fun people and environment.

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Zynga as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe perks are great! Free food, lots of video games and they pay well too. Their benefits package is great as well. People are great and are always happy to hang out after work.

ConsSecond round of layoffs just happened, but most viewed this restructuring as a positive thing for the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementHopefully the layoffs are all over. Doing a great job, but people are noticing a severe cutback in perks. Confidence is low as it's obvious that you are looking to cut costs anywhere that is possible.

Major dissatisfaction

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Zynga full-time

ProsPerks: food, gym, shuttle, salary, stock options.

ConsPeople are out for themselves and will step on your back and even lie in order to advance. They are still learning how to develop games and the talent pool reflects that. Major title inflation, particularly at the studio and team leads level. Clique-ish in the extreme, particularly between management and individual contributors. Constant shifting of teams and priorities. Creativity takes a major back seat, despite recent efforts. Content is not innovative and is reskinned over and over. It's as if a bunch of recent ivy league grads jumped on an emerging market, succeeded, hired their friends and are now trying to dictate how to make sophisticated, AAA video games. They don't play games, they don't review games. All the perks in the world do not make up for these major shortcomings.

Advice to Senior ManagementC level management needs to clean house at the E and studio lead level.

there is nothing good about Zynga except for the compensation

Security Engineer (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Zynga full-time for more than a year

Prosgood compensation is the only good thing. Except for that I don't find any other good thing about this job!!

Consnegative career growth ( the shitty management and politics will make you even forget your previous skills), inexperienced managers, not so knowledgable people left in the company anymore.

Advice to Senior Managementplease get some management skills and try to make sense!!

Mercenaries, not Missionaries

Senior Product Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Zynga full-time for more than a year

ProsBrilliant people who came from consulting, investment banking, and a wide range of experience. Compensation was nice, good facade of meritocracy, office had ample food and snacks. Gym was a plus. I went back recently and I thought to myself that the place looks nicer than when I left, which is odd since the company's stock value has gone down.

ConsNo work-life balance, terrible leadership, idiotic management who had rose through the ranks by bullying individuals and humiliating people. Turns out when the stock price goes sour, all of these people run for the hills because they were only in the zero-sum company for the gain they could take from others anyway. I think I learned bad habits here that I'll have to recover from - like thinking that everyone else is out to get you and to think that company politics is how all companies are run.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up a little guys. Stop trying to over-manage things. Instead, try to embody the parts of the bay area that make startups powerful. Focus on new platforms and stop trying to optimize and milk your way to profitability. Instead, test, iterate quickly, and be like the initial Zynga, not the one it's become.

Previous Room for Growth. Needs more Direction or Actual follow up on Direction made

Producer (Former Employee)

I worked at Zynga full-time for more than 3 years

Pros-Room for growth (at least when I was there)
-Free food and snacks
-Potential to make a position
-Lots to learn in a face paced environment

Cons-More time spent on restructuring than making games
-Product Managers rule the roost
-Lots of emphasis put on making fun games, but it doesn't happen
-Direction comes from up top, but is rarely followed or enforced
-Depending on org, there may be no direction

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open with communication and actually give direction. No org should go months with no idea of OKRs, or hear randomly from someone else how bad they are doing. Not only should direction should be given, it needs follow up to make sure people are doing work that is in accordance with that direction.

On top of that, Managers need to manage. Too much freedom is a bad thing. If you don't assign work to someone then they have no idea what to do, which does not allow them to grow as an employee.

Good learning experience but ruined by under qualified middle management.

Art Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Zynga full-time for more than a year

ProsLots of great perks like free lunch, dinners, gym membership and snacks. Lots of talented people.

ConsGame company that puts very little emphasis on fun and long term good of the game. Too many under qualified & experienced middle managers who does not know how to manage.

Advice to Senior ManagementBeing in a company for long time does not automatically make them a good manager.

Worked for Zynga? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Zynga reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Zynga CEO Don Mattrick. All 302 reviews are posted anonymously by Zynga employees.