Zep

Add Photos

Zep Chairman, President, and CEO John K. Morgan

John K. Morgan

They have been confused

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsProducts are rock solid, people are great calibre (nice) If you are looking to start your own business and have that mentality then this may be good for you or if you are starting your career and can give 3 years as a stepping stone, otherwise run the other way. More frustrating than anything else.

ConsMotto of the company really is Zep pays Zep first. Good for the shareholders but as you go along they don't make the best decisions and don't really value people as partners. They are used to having tenured people who have been with the company and so if you are new...it's like learning in braille. It is slowly changing but they have wasted good talent and lost people who could have really contributed to company. It's been a gong show. They may be getting it now. Not sure for sales unless you concentrate in vehicle or food sales if there is a worthwhile career. If you are looking for a company with a strong culture - this isn't it. Very hands off - other than selling product they don't do much.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay what you need to - to put in place management in each region with experience. Sales reps without leadership are not very engaged and customers don't win in a commission for the money only environment.

It was a good company once upon a time.

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Montreal, QC

ProsGreat products. Support people are good and want to help. Diverse customer base. You can learn alot.

ConsPoor leadership or support for high selling reps. Commission structure has not improved for the better. Non-responsive senior management. Looks like Zep will be going retail.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower you district manager's to make decisions that allow them to empower their people. Stop managing the company with fear. Stop treating Canada market like the US market.

over worked and stressed

Chemical Sales (Former Employee) Calgary, AB

Prosgood people overall and good products

Consmanagement is unresponsive to customer and sales complaints
    corporate is more concerned about themselves and their bonus through cutting sales pay structure and bonus.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Painful - company in chaos

Sales (Former Employee) Calgary, AB

Prosexcellent products
    people are nice
    Might be good opportunity only if people come from industry and have years to invest.
    Good stepping stone

Conslack of direction for sales people
    learn on your own
    poor morale of sales people
    lack of support locally
    too may obstacles for new people to make a living like long time employees do
    sales has to compete with retail big box who are selling products in canada
    US treats Canada like the US

Advice to Senior ManagementHire leaders who can lead and let them do it

Going downhill rapidly

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) DeSoto, TX (US)

ProsIt's a paycheck. I've had worse jobs, but I've also had better. Hours are reasonable and run 6-2:30pm so you miss out on the crazy Dallas rush hour traffic. Benefits are decent once corporate makes up their mind whether or not they want to hire you (6 months to more than a year).

ConsManagement doesn't give a damn about anything besides covering their own butts when they mess up. No one takes responsibility for their own actions, including the CEO, so all meetings turn into blame games where nothing of worth gets done. Headquarters in Atlanta doesn't like to stoop down and communicate any information to other plants and acts like any question about processes or clarification is a complete and utter waste of their time. Corporate refuses to spend money investing in any other location other than Atlanta so the rest of the plants have been forced to meet ridiculously high standards set by Atlanta (that they don't even follow themselves; they've gotten in trouble with the EPA several times). If you're a woman, DO NOT work in production. This is a blatantly sexist company with very few women anywhere, and the male employees love to make comments about nagging, psychotic, useless womenfolk who just get in the way. Complaints to HR go nowhere; the complainant is accused of starting the harassment in the first place. No room for advancement at Zep either.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the "Do as I say, not as I do" attitude. Quit treating your employees as stupid children that need to be supervised at all times and get upset when employees lie about what's actually going on in the company when every "state of the company" address is a bunch of lies about how great everything is going. We're not stupid; business has dropped severely in the past year due to overall incompetence. The pervasive "It's not my fault" attitude is turning the whole company apathetic and looking to bail at the first chance.

Management Consulting firms ex-employees give you this?

Outsides Sales Representative (Former Employee) Birmingham, AL (US)

ProsOnce an historic firm. Wonderful pdts. Nice lab personnel.

ConsBiggest issue this firm, like so many have had happened to them, is hiring debunked former Management Consulting industry people. They are clueless in actually running a business. Oh they're ok at their old employer?, but transferring their talents to the real world is near impossible. Lie to employees. Horrendous inflated shipping charges to clients and Zep's own sales force. From distributors, warehouse member types, inside sales and dumping your own different sales brands reps into an actual Zep Rep's territory are morally deflating - as in the "throw it against the wall" syndrome. All the top tier management cares about is what's in my pocket, after the reps have an actual blood-letting among themselves -> mgm't cares zilch about who is left standing in a territory, I want mine. All this stems from the top jocks knowing next to nothing about literal sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementExtremely poor at the very top then the poor filters down and eventually ALL employees know cut throat force reductions occur, simply because bosses could only sell themselves to Directors, et al to get their positions - they cannot sell ice in the summertime. It does no good to advise mgm't of anything. Directors and stakeholders look at bottom lines and they run the roost. Such a shame the careers mgm't causes employees to shed.

Professional environment with potential for advancement especially in Atlanta

Branch Manager (Former Employee)

ProsFair pay, good communication with mgmt, team approach at all levels, advancement opportunities in Atlanta especially and if willing to relocate. Unlimited potential in sales

ConsIt is difficult for sales reps without a book of business to make it at Zep on the pay structure unless their is strong spouse support while a rep builds his/her business.

Advice to Senior ManagementA more structured sales rep training program would be helpful. There is not enough criteria used in hiring new reps. It seems as though the process is to throw as many people against the wall and see what sticks.

A difficult place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsProud history of success, challenges that provide great opportunities to learn, and recognized products

Conssome people make it very difficult to get things done.

Working under the Sword of Damocles

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe products sold are of good quality and have consumer appeal.

ConsHuman beings and their lives are mere commodities to be bought and sold by a soulless upper management. I lost count years ago of the constant layoffs. This company will layoff staff from the top to the bottom, often in waves. It then begins the rehiring process sometimes within a week of the layoffs. The turn around at this company is beyond staggering. When working for Zep, your every waking hour involves wondering when your pink slip is coming. How much more successful could this company be if upper management had even a tiny molecule of respect and empathy for its work force. This company sells cleaners, and in kind, it performs a "cleansing" of its workforce every six months or so.

And everyone is expendable. The ownership and upper management at Zep has changed hands as many times as the position of Plant Manager. Every change brings about a complete disruption of this company's business plan, products, ideas and even the corporate culture. And of course, every change in this regard brings about ... you guessed it ... the next round of layoffs/rehirings. Ah, a new round of "cleansing." The mighty sword gleaming above your head.

And each time the ownership/management changes, both management and company are degraded still further. There was a time when the owners/managers of Zep and the various companies it has swallowed up were top quality people with vision, brilliance, insight and most importantly, character. It was a fine place to work with loyal, long-term employees that built this business into the powerhouse that new ownership/management is fumbling so hard to destroy.

Advice to Senior ManagementAre you commodities? You're not? You sure? Well, guess what, neither is that line worker out there. When your staff is treated as a commodity, you wont be selling the commodities that you manufacture for long.

decent place to gain experience

Prosmet some nice people made a few friends......also a few enemies

Conssupervisors could care less of what is going on they are lazy and some very racist against employees

Worked for Zep? Contribute to the Community!