Zara

Updated 15 December, 2014
2.8

Zara First Deputy Chairman and CEO Inditex Pablo Isla Álvarez de Tejera
Pablo Isla Álvarez de Tejera

Pros
  • Multitasking, fast paced enviroment, international experience (in 22 reviews)

• people are nice good pay and its good for students who just want spare pocket money and part time (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Necessity to wait three months until you can get your employee discount and uniform (in 31 reviews)

• 15% discount does not allow for an affordable way to consistently represent the brand (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

management

I have been working at Zara

Pros

Great company to work for. Intense training and continuous education

Cons

Non that I can think of

Non that I can think off

Average retail position - hard work, negative experience

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Toronto, ON

I worked at Zara full-time (less than an year)

Pros

love their clothes, some co-workers were very nice, there were some sales incentives (team-based), never bored because there's always something to do

Cons

bad employee discount (15%), bad hours, sales incentives mediocre, culture was still very competitive and lots of gossiping and passive-aggressive behaviours from co-workers, managers boss you around, expected to move at lightning speed, quite stressful

Its not a regular retail job

I have been working at Zara

Pros

Fast pace and there is always something to do

Cons

Daily demands can be harsh

Questionable

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Toronto, ON

I worked at Zara part-time (less than an year)

Pros

- If you're applying at a new store it's extremely easy to get a promotion
    - Uniform is free
    - Nice Clothes
    - Commission is shared among the entire department, which encourages you to work as a team.
    - Before opening there's a morning meeting everyday, they're pretty fun and good for store morale.

Cons

- awful discount (15%)
    - training was a disorganized mess, zara is really strict when it comes to their policies. i missed the store opening and began work roughly 2 weeks after, half the staff still had no idea what they were doing.
    - compared to other stores i've worked at their cash register system in general is more complicated than it needs to be.
    - there is no clocking in machine, you have to sign in by hand on a piece of paper. this highly increases the chances of there being mistakes on your paycheck
    - a lot is expected from you and most of the time it's simply impossible to complete.

It really does depend on the location you're at though, the store I trained at was much better.

The process of opening a new store and training needs a complete overhaul. This one poor woman was basically in charge of everything in-regards to new employees, she needed help.

Focus more on stockroom training and simplify your cash system. Having to call someone for every single return is a waste of time.

Fast-Fashion: Be fast

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Zara part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You don't need to wok more than you re schedule for. They are organized about what you need to do, and they have a lot of expertise.

Cons

Low payment, lots of work, poor management. Terrible discount. It's good just to stay just a few months. And very low chance to be promoted. You need to do everything very fast.

Consider rise the compensation. And add more people working.

It's ok.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Zara part-time (less than an year)

Pros

- managers were one of the bests. In previous jobs, managers liked to walk around and look important. Here, they actually work alongside other associates.
    - very flexible; even if it's pretty last minute, managers will change your schedule without complaint
    - one hour breaks if scheduled for a 7-9 hour shift
    - lots of room for growth
    - fairly easy going as a whole

Cons

- work you like dogs
    - underpaid
    - high turnover rate
    - constantly understaffed
    - one hour breaks are great, but maybe give us an additional paid 15 or something if you're going to work us so hard
    - your discount sucks
    - returns, exchanges, cancel receipts, etc. all have to be approved by a manager or a "signer" and I think that's just so unnecessary. We have to wait for you guys to come or give us approval and I think it would be a lot more efficient if you just trained cashiers so that the line up/transactions can move way more quickly and smoothly

- for head office, it would be nice to acknowledge your associates. There have been moments where you've looked me in the eye, but seemingly looked past me at the same time. I don't believe I've ever heard you guys utter a single greeting at me - I mean acknowledging me is already hard enough.
    - pay raises would be nice
    - some benefits, even during our three month probation would be pretty awesome too
    - raise the discount
    - fix up the store because it's literally falling apart

Good job for high school students

Former Employee - Cashier in Burnaby, BC
    Former Employee - Cashier in Burnaby, BC

I worked at Zara part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-flexible scheduling
    -relaxed work environment
    -commission

Cons

-insufficient employee discount
    -must wear uniform
    -disorganized management

-more organization needed

Horrible, unprofessional management.

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Toronto, ON

I worked at Zara full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Clothes are good, 15% discount, good reputation worldwide

Cons

Management has to take classes on leadership role.

Need to be improved

sales associate

I have been working at Zara

Pros

Only good if you are a student. Salary is okay, but will never go up unless you get promoted to another position.

Cons

Horrible management who have to experience, they expect you to do the work of 3 people at the same time, always short staff, clients complain all the time but the head office never do anything, somewhat horrible schedules, the training of new employees is not even done or supervised by the managers, the older staff is supposed to take care of it. There's always a lot of problems in communication. Very low discount. You will never get a raise unless you take a higher position, everything is disorganized, and the stock is always a mess, and often hazardous for your safety.

I have nightmares about going back to this job.

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Zara part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Although it was commissioned, the commission was spread evenly among all employees which prevented us from fighting over customers and was also nice if you were working in the back that day and so didn't have the chance to make any.
    Salary was minimum, but not under which I've heard of some commissioned retail places doing.

Cons

The location was severely understaffed. Every day you would be assigned the job of 2 or 3 people and then if you couldn't complete it you would get in trouble from the management.
    Management always sided with the customers, even if they were being unreasonable. Of course there is absolutely no reason to be rude to customers but multiple times I felt that I was being thrown under the bus when a customer was calling my family "a disgrace to (my country)" because the fitting rooms were closed...
    Every day off I had for the entire time I worked there they would call and ask me to come in because someone was absent for some reason - this is not unreasonable, but if I said no I would suddenly have all the worst shifts for the week and my manager would be miffed.
    The team I worked with was extremely rude and pompous. This is a pretty common vibe people get when they come in the store, and, I hate to tell you, it really is because most people who work there think they are better than you. I felt like I was being bullied the entire time I worked there.
    I had very minimal training and was expected to be perfect immediately - it's a lot of pressure.

Hire more people - major understaffing problems lead to unhappy employees and management. Also try to hire happier people - I know this is a lot to and will be hard to pull off but I really think it will make a huge difference in store morale and performance.

Zara Photos