Zara Reviews

Updated 18 October, 2014
2.9

Zara First Deputy Chairman and CEO Inditex Pablo Isla Álvarez de Tejera
Pablo Isla Álvarez de Tejera

Pros
  • people are nice good pay and its good for students who just want spare pocket money and part time (in 19 reviews)

• fast paced, lots of interaction with customers, decent pay, hiring process is inefficient and tedious (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Necessity to wait three months until you can get your employee discount and uniform (in 27 reviews)

• Rude customers, high turn over rate, 15% discount (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

Good job for high school students

Former Employee - Cashier in Burnaby, BC
    Former Employee - Cashier in Burnaby, BC

I worked at Zara part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-flexible scheduling
    -relaxed work environment
    -commission

Cons

-insufficient employee discount
    -must wear uniform
    -disorganized management

-more organization needed

Fast-Fashion: Be fast

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Zara part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You don't need to wok more than you re schedule for. They are organized about what you need to do, and they have a lot of expertise.

Cons

Low payment, lots of work, poor management. Terrible discount. It's good just to stay just a few months. And very low chance to be promoted. You need to do everything very fast.

Consider rise the compensation. And add more people working.

It's ok.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Zara part-time (less than an year)

Pros

- managers were one of the bests. In previous jobs, managers liked to walk around and look important. Here, they actually work alongside other associates.
    - very flexible; even if it's pretty last minute, managers will change your schedule without complaint
    - one hour breaks if scheduled for a 7-9 hour shift
    - lots of room for growth
    - fairly easy going as a whole

Cons

- work you like dogs
    - underpaid
    - high turnover rate
    - constantly understaffed
    - one hour breaks are great, but maybe give us an additional paid 15 or something if you're going to work us so hard
    - your discount sucks
    - returns, exchanges, cancel receipts, etc. all have to be approved by a manager or a "signer" and I think that's just so unnecessary. We have to wait for you guys to come or give us approval and I think it would be a lot more efficient if you just trained cashiers so that the line up/transactions can move way more quickly and smoothly

- for head office, it would be nice to acknowledge your associates. There have been moments where you've looked me in the eye, but seemingly looked past me at the same time. I don't believe I've ever heard you guys utter a single greeting at me - I mean acknowledging me is already hard enough.
    - pay raises would be nice
    - some benefits, even during our three month probation would be pretty awesome too
    - raise the discount
    - fix up the store because it's literally falling apart

Horrible, unprofessional management.

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Toronto, ON

I worked at Zara full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Clothes are good, 15% discount, good reputation worldwide

Cons

Management has to take classes on leadership role.

Need to be improved

sales associate

I have been working at Zara

Pros

Only good if you are a student. Salary is okay, but will never go up unless you get promoted to another position.

Cons

Horrible management who have to experience, they expect you to do the work of 3 people at the same time, always short staff, clients complain all the time but the head office never do anything, somewhat horrible schedules, the training of new employees is not even done or supervised by the managers, the older staff is supposed to take care of it. There's always a lot of problems in communication. Very low discount. You will never get a raise unless you take a higher position, everything is disorganized, and the stock is always a mess, and often hazardous for your safety.

I have nightmares about going back to this job.

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Zara part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Although it was commissioned, the commission was spread evenly among all employees which prevented us from fighting over customers and was also nice if you were working in the back that day and so didn't have the chance to make any.
    Salary was minimum, but not under which I've heard of some commissioned retail places doing.

Cons

The location was severely understaffed. Every day you would be assigned the job of 2 or 3 people and then if you couldn't complete it you would get in trouble from the management.
    Management always sided with the customers, even if they were being unreasonable. Of course there is absolutely no reason to be rude to customers but multiple times I felt that I was being thrown under the bus when a customer was calling my family "a disgrace to (my country)" because the fitting rooms were closed...
    Every day off I had for the entire time I worked there they would call and ask me to come in because someone was absent for some reason - this is not unreasonable, but if I said no I would suddenly have all the worst shifts for the week and my manager would be miffed.
    The team I worked with was extremely rude and pompous. This is a pretty common vibe people get when they come in the store, and, I hate to tell you, it really is because most people who work there think they are better than you. I felt like I was being bullied the entire time I worked there.
    I had very minimal training and was expected to be perfect immediately - it's a lot of pressure.

Hire more people - major understaffing problems lead to unhappy employees and management. Also try to hire happier people - I know this is a lot to and will be hard to pull off but I really think it will make a huge difference in store morale and performance.

Great Company

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Zara part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Company, Flexibility, Uniforms(therefore, no need to purchase clothes), great co-workers - during the time i worked there I seen many employees get promoted, therefore, much room for advancement

Cons

hard work! especially during sale and holiday season, Expected to move like lightening.

Worst retailer to work at

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Zara part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule. Cute clothes (overpriced though)

Cons

Insanely poor management. No support from managers or head office. They don't even train you (just give a small pamphlet describing the company and a few policies)...throw new hires into closing shifts and way too many hours a week they can handle when they're just starting out. The stock room is HORRENDOUS because nobody wants to work on it. Not to mention how many safety violations there are (eg. Putting sharp objects on the top shelves is NOT a good idea). They always make you stay 10 minutes extra without even asking if it's okay with you...and expect you to sign out for the time you were supposed to originally be off!!! Always hiring new managers ..and these decisions are horrible b/c these managers suck at their job and just backstabbing sales associates to make themselves look good. They put you in the fitting room pretty much your entire shift...and if you call in cuz you're not feeling well they make a huge deal and demand a doctors note because they're quote "understaffed & need you to support the team"...you're understaffed because you don't schedule enough people duh! Oh and they expect one person to do the job of 3 ppl....and pay you only $10.50/hour for that....AND NO RAISES UNLESS YOU DECIDE TO BECOME A MANAGER (and even their pay sucks hence why so many of them get fed up & quit). And even if you step down from your position (eg. Stock responsible) they will continue to zone you in that work area and expect you to still maintain it! Quitting Zara was the best decision of my life!

Take care of your employees.. Respect them or else the company's customer service will go downhill way more than it already has. Increase the pay so there is SOME benefit of working there. Stop hiring idiots & stop violating so many policies. People do not go to work to get harassed by the under qualified & cliquey managers you guys hire.

You learn how to be efficient on your own.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Zara part-time (more than an year)

Pros

They teach you great work ethics. They make you know the value of hard work. It's a team effort to reach quota so you don't have to hound down customers like you're competing with your co-workers. They provide you with a suit, and they set a hygiene standard so you learn to be clean at work. They have an excellent management system compared to other major retailers. They rarely mess up your scheduling, and there are forms that you can fill to officially request days off. There's 2 weeks vacation pay per yr.

Cons

They make you work very hard sometimes. Depending on the store, most stock rooms are the dustiest places I've ever been. They don't schedule enough staff on the floor during busy days that it almost becomes impossible to keep up with your responsibilities. Sometimes they make you focus on maintaining the floor and keeping things in order that customers get neglected. There were definitely a lot of customer complaints because of this problem.

Training has to be done by actually showing the new hire how to do things. You can't train someone by giving them a pamphlet with a list of instructions saying what to do on the job - It's a waste of time. Schedule more people on the floor during busy days. The %15 off is relatively a small discount compared to other retailers; it might be better to increase the discount to give employees an incentive to work harder. Get good cleaners to dust the stock rooms ! Don't get lazy cleaners !

Fast paced enviroment

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Toronto, ON

I worked at Zara full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You learn a lot about the trends and what not in fashion world. Great morning meetings that all everyone to get to know each other and more information about the products.

Cons

Training needs to be a little more in depth. Compensation should be higher for the amount of work that is done. Managers need to be a little more supportive and encouraging when receiving shipment and filing in stock rooms. Head office only communicates to managers and merchandisers when they should really be also thanking the rest of the staff.

Organize more staff on the floor when training new employees so that they can get a full and detailed training shift.

Zara Photos